Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I needed to read that this morning. Now I know I am not on a real plateau, but like I said yesterday i think, I need to stop weighing daily. I was seeing losses, even if only .2 or something every day. So it got to be fun. Well the scale hasn't moved since last Friday, well it has but up almost 2 lbs. I know this doesn't make a plateau and it's the reason I need to stop. (I vow to on Thurs.) But I know I am doing everything right, I am diligent recording my food intake and exercise on the daily plate site, and it will move. It's impossible to gain 2 real pounds on what I've been eating, this heat could be causing Fluid retention. So yes this is a small whine, I just had gotten very spoiled early in this process. I will make Thurs. and Monday my weigh in days. Yes, that's 2 days a week, but it's a start!

I am getting ready to leave for my gall bladder ultrasound. I'm a little nervous, but know it's not going to hurt and I doubt I will find anything out today. It's at a different part of the hospital than I've been so hope I find it okay.

I hope all goes well today! I don't know who I heard this from but I went to The Daily Plate website and joined. It is so cool. I can keep track of my intake all day long online. I found out I was eating less than 500 calories a day...yikes....no wonder I was waking up a 3am. So, I am increasing my Protein Shakes today. You might want to check it out....there is no fee.

Orea, how are things going with you? You are coming up to your date fast. What kind of prep is your doctor prescribing? You must be getting excited!

I'm on Day 7 of two weeks of Optifast. The first five days were pure misery: almost constant hunger, fatigue, body aches, occasional nausea. It's taken a huge effort for me to stick to it, but I have. I'm not losing as fast as they said I might, but I presume it's because I've been dieting solidly since January. I am being extra careful to do exactly as instructed so that if they question my lower weight loss, I can honestly say I followed it to the letter!

As long as my liver looks good, that's what matters, right?

Thursday is my last preop appointment. Maybe then it will sink in that this is really happening. My mind hasn't quite figured it out yet, it just expects one hoop after another forever! In a way that is good, as it keeps me from feeling nervous. By now I'm figuring the surgery is the easy part. I just lie down, pass out and let someone else do the work! LOL

Orea

Hi Long2bThin, Good luck with your GB ultrasound. I am an ultrasound tech in Florida and do gallbladders all the time. It is better to know if you have gallstones because then at least you will know what the pain is and not think it's your band. I have also had my gallbladder laparascopically removed and it's no big deal. You feel much better after it's gone if you do have stones. I am on my 3rd day pre-op diet and doing well. Down 6 pounds and surgery is next week 7/31. I am counting the days and getting very excited. Going to Colorado with Dr. Kirshenbaum as my surgeon. I wish you much luck with your gallbladder. Take care.

Thanks! IndioGirl55 I don't know if you are the one who started the 50 & over but I will be at this thread all the time. I am over 50 and I think our bodies are a lot different then the 20,30 & 40 bodies. I am glad to be able to connect with other 50's people. I am having a really hard time

with my lapband. When I got it I really was convinced that this was the magical fix and I would get thin and not have to worry about my weight any longer because the lapband was going to control my weight for me - -

BOY! WAS I WRONG!!!! Now I am having to relearn everything all over to make this band work with ME to loose the weight. I have been reading alot of the threads and are remembering things I need to do. Any advise will help me alot - - - I want this lapband to work for me....

Ditto. I need this lap band to work for me cause I am weak! I think my portions dropped in size but that is about it. I can eat anything. I only eat when I am hungry but that is still alot. I want the hunger to subside, the portions to drop dramatically, the cravings to go away for good, etc. Is that realistic? All my lost weight was a result of surgery. I suspect I will lose weight during my first fill process since I have to fast and be on liquids for days. But that is just a plain miserable existence. Not the new lifestyle I was hoping for. You all are so encouraging. Thanks for the support.

with my lapband. When I got it I really was convinced that this was the magical fix and I would get thin and not have to worry about my weight any longer because the lapband was going to control my weight for me - -

BOY! WAS I WRONG!!!! Now I am having to relearn everything all over to make this band work with ME to loose the weight. I have been reading alot of the threads and are remembering things I need to do. Any advise will help me alot - - - I want this lapband to work for me....

You will hear this over and over. The band is just a tool to make losing weight easier. It's definitely not a magic cure. You have to be dedicated to stay on plan. The band will not stop you from eating junk. I call them the C foods. candy cake and chips will all go through the band like it's not even there.

Having the right fill makes all the difference in the world though. Once I started getting full on small portions, I just felt too full to snack. You can definitely eat around the band if your head isn't in the right place. Head hunger is worse than actual stomach growling hunger. There is nothing

that will control head hunger other than dedication to wanting to lose.

Ditto. I need this lap band to work for me cause I am weak! I think my portions dropped in size but that is about it. I can eat anything. I only eat when I am hungry but that is still alot. I want the hunger to subside, the portions to drop dramatically, the cravings to go away for good, etc. Is that realistic? All my lost weight was a result of surgery. I suspect I will lose weight during my first fill process since I have to fast and be on liquids for days. But that is just a plain miserable existence. Not the new lifestyle I was hoping for. You all are so encouraging. Thanks for the support.

I think your regular check ups with possible fills are very important. My surgeon wants to see me every 3 months for life. He says checking to see if you are at your "sweet spot" with proper restriction and on-going help from his support staff if things are not going well for you is needed to help make this band work for you. Of course he is a real stickler about exercise. He says everyone can do some form of exercise and if you insist you cannot, he has no problem referring you to pain management and physical rehab. Since I am selfpay, this alone will keep me in line I hope :eek:

Beverly, I had a friend request from you but it's gone. I would be happy to add you as a friend. I just kept forgetting to do it.

I am not sure why we need to have our friends listed on our profiles. As far as I am concerned, anyone banded can be my friend!

I hope all goes well today! I don't know who I heard this from but I went to The Daily Plate website and joined. It is so cool. I can keep track of my intake all day long online. I found out I was eating less than 500 calories a day...yikes....no wonder I was waking up a 3am. So, I am increasing my Protein Shakes today. You might want to check it out....there is no fee.

Hey Charlene, that is where I posted that I diligently track my food. But thanks for the tip! LOL I eat about 700 calories a day right now. But they've been going up a bit each day since my fill.

Hi Long2bThin, Good luck with your GB ultrasound. I am an ultrasound tech in Florida and do gallbladders all the time. It is better to know if you have gallstones because then at least you will know what the pain is and not think it's your band. I have also had my gallbladder laparascopically removed and it's no big deal. You feel much better after it's gone if you do have stones. I am on my 3rd day pre-op diet and doing well. Down 6 pounds and surgery is next week 7/31. I am counting the days and getting very excited. Going to Colorado with Dr. Kirshenbaum as my surgeon. I wish you much luck with your gallbladder. Take care.

Thanks, Skinnyme, I just got home and know nothing. All I know is she took close to 40 pictures, is that normal? And was putting lots of X's on the screen I am assuming to measure something. She was all over my abdomen. LOL She said she wasn't allowed to tell me anything and my doc would have the results in the morning. I HATE WAITING!!

Well I think the hunger subside and portions to drop is realistic after your fill, but not the cravings. There are things I still crave and sometimes I think I am hungry but am really not it's all in my head. Why are you on liquids for days? Have you just recently been banded?

Oh one more thing. There was an article in our Denver newspaper today on the front page about lap band. It talked about folks needing to go out of country, etc. for surgery because of BMI's not being high enough to qualify for insurance, etc. Anyway I can't remember who, but know someone was just posting here about too low of a BMI and appealing UHC. Here's a link to the article:

Foreign surgeries tip scales to relax U.S. rules - The Denver Post

Orea, it sounds like you have been through the hoops! Will you be surprised to go to the hospital on surgery day (July 30!!!) and find that they are actually going to do this thing? Some days I feel like that will be my reaction - "Are you serious???" Waiting is a bummer. I'm just trying to keep my spirits up and trying to stay on a reasonable eating/exercise plan while I wait. I enjoy your posts so much, please keep us up to date on what's happening with you.

Hugs,

Hi All -

I've been lurking out here for a few weeks and decided to go ahead and join and post. I think this will help me (and us all to become successful). You are all so inspirational - I too want to become one of Janet's Jedi Warriors. :eek: I am being banded on Thursday and have been on the two week liquid only since 7/12. Getting very excited.

Take Care,

Katarina

Good luck with the ultrasound.

Orea

Thanks Orea, I appreciate it. Good luck to you on your preop on thurs. Sounds like you've been the perfect little pre op patient, now let's get this band on! Joann, you too! Any date yet?