Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Lizalee: Did I read your post correctly? You have lost nearly 95 pounds in a little over 3 months? Omigosh! That is awe-inspiring! And I thought I was impatient...LOL! My friend, you need to pat yourself on the back and look at the amazing progress you have made. I have to lose about the same amount of weight as you do, but I was banded June 10 and have a lot farther than you to go. I hope to hit 100 pounds by my one year anniversary; anything sooner than that, and I would have to do a happy dance! Be nice to yourself; you are doing incredible!

Alice150: You didn't go to Dr. Rehnke, did you? He's a wonderful doctor, but very strict and aggressive! Your post sounded so much like him, I had to ask. But I do agree with the others who posted in response to you; you need to be comfortable with your fill and the doctor should listen to you (yes, even our beloved Dr. Rehnke!). Good luck.

Judy: congratulations on your success. Sounds like you have a fabulous weekend planned....good on you!

Long: congratulations on your weight loss and all that exercise. Everytime I read one of your posts, I wanna go out and get myself a bicycle!

Thanks all,

Nancy

Long: congratulations on your weight loss and all that exercise. Everytime I read one of your posts, I wanna go out and get myself a bicycle!

Well then do it!! I got a cheap one at Walmart, if I continue to like it I can always invest more money later. It's been kindda fun (as fun as exercise can be) but kindda makes one feel young again! And from some list I saw posted on here some place it is one of the top calorie burning exercises out there!

Angelshere: My total weight loss listed is including my pre-band weight loss (since the beginning of December) - since the band, I think I've lost 60something. Today I had my second fill - hooray!! 4cc now! Haven't tried it out much yet since I had to travel out of town and one of my daughter's and I turned it into a shopping trip. liquids today, anyway. Also had visit with the COE dietitian - according to her figures, since my band I have lost 34% of my excess body fat. Yippe! I AM excited about it...but I still have so far to go! I'll get there, but it's going to take some time. I'm just not a very patient person!! :-)

My weight loss is sssoooooslow. and I was banded in March 2008.

What Im confused about is, why I dont seem to be losing even though I have been eating the correct foods, albeit maybe sometimes more than the amount I should(calorie intake is approx 1200-1500 by keeping a food journal) I have joined a gym and am now going 5 days a week for an hour a day,,,walking at least 2 mi at 3.5 mi hr and doing the bike for at least 2 mi with 70rpm that keeps my heart rate to approx 130.

Can my metabolism really be this slow??!! Is it possible I have a thyroid problem even after all the changes Ive made? I have a doctor appt next week to do some bloodwork about it.

Hi egnebs:

I have found that my weight loss seems to stall when I get my calorie count above 1200. I do best about 900-1000. This is despite increasing my activity level by walking 30 - 60 mins a day, taking stairs, doing some gardening, etc. I believe my metabolism is VERY low, and I believe that's genetic since my mother and her mother have always complained about the same thing and dieted all their lives. My thyroid tests have always been normal (albeit not checked in the last few months.) Obesity does run in my family. (That's how I always rationalized my weight in the past!)

I've always wished I could be one of those high-energy people who just can eat and eat and never get fat....but, on the other hand, if there is ever a famine in the land, I'd SURVIVE!! :thumbdown:

Good luck finding the right solution!

Greetings: My doc told me the band is meant to stay in forever. However, many people end up with some kind of a complication at some point making it a necessity to remove the band for a period of time with the option of putting it back in at some point.

Hi Everyone,

I really appreciate everyone who weighed in on my situation with changing doctors while I'm living away from home for a year. I really just panicked when I realized how different this doctor handled things and should have discussed it with him a little more. I have been losing, slowly but surely, but I do also feel the need for more restriction. I will probably consider going back to him if my own doctor sticks to his 5 lb or more loss a month rule. He will not consider an adjustment of the band if you lose 5 lbs or more in a month.

Thanks for all the input.

Alice

Banded April 8, 2008

271/236.5/150

As of this morning, I have lost 20% of me!! And I have gained 200% of feeling good!

I have a friend who is starting the pre-op today (same doctor as me). He has diabetes real bad and his motivation is--he wants to keep his legs! I am rooting for him and will be his "buddy."

I am going to a singles dance this weekend. Don't care to meet Mr. Right or even Mr. Close Enough, but I hope to dance and smile and flirt! The "man" in my life is Phillip---my band. (Get it--Phillip--Fill Up?)

Feeling silly and happy. And healthy--Thank you, God and bless all these wonderful friends on this thread!

You go Girl! A night of dancing sounds like fun and such good exercise. I have thought about taking a line dancing class when I can move around a bit better. (When some of these pounds are gone) Have great time!:thumbup:

Regarding calories, I know everyone is different. For me, I had to keep my calories around 1,000 per day plus exercise. I do have a slow metabolism, and I can maintain for months if I exercise but eat more than 1,000 calories.

Who asked about crushing pills? I was banded yesterday and was able to take my meds whole, per the MD. I had no problem taking pills.< /div>

I had no trouble taking my pills either post op. However, now since my fill I have to cut my Calcium in half or it hurts going down. My Vitamin is chewable so no problem there. And I got off my b/p one YAHOO!!

I've not had any problem taking my 5 pills every morning since my band. I have had one fill (2.5cc) and still able to take all 5 at one time with Water. Two of the pills are large but no restriction what so ever. Hoping my next fill will give me the restriction that everyone is talking about.

Good evening! thought I'd check in tonight since I will be gone most of the day tomorrow. We are going for a leisurely drive in the mountains, having a picnic and just enjoy God's creation.

Today was a first for me.....I worked out twice!! I can't believe it myself. My neighbor came to the door this morning and we walked 3 times around the block and I found out tonight on the odometer that is a mile. Keep in mind I've not walked in a long time due to my knee, so felt good with doing a mile in just under 20 min. Then tonight DH and I went bike riding. we went 'his' way and I have to admit it is easier and a more enjoyable ride as I can ride longer w/o that steep hill. With all my exercise, according to www.mydailyplate.com I took in only 150 more calories today than I burnt in exercise. a first for me.

Tomorrow is a challenge, am trying to decide what food to have for my mini meals, etc. The other challenge will be how much gas will we burn? LOL But we rarely go out, so will consider this our entertainment.

off for a week in Ocean City Maryland. so ,looking forward to it. just me, the sand, the quiet, and many many books to read. I plan on lots of walking on the each and reading and enjoying the sun.

Not sure I'l have any internet connection, so I may not be back on the thread until next Saturday. So everyone have a great week and be safe

I went to a gathering of old friends last night and now I'm flooded with thoughts;

My friends are approximately my age - mid to late 50s.

I see them less than once a year as most of them are spread out over the country.

All of the women are overweight - altho not extreme - but definitely close to the 200 lb. range.

:smile:

I didn't tell them about my plans - it just didn't seem appropriate for the casual gathering. My BMI is 36, I have Diabetes 2 (unmedicated as yet) Hi blood pressure, hi chol. and more "stuff".

:smile:

My first thought -

Am I being vain about wanting to lose weight with this surgical procedure?

Second -

Am I really able to cope with something foreign placed inside my body and undergo injections into a doohickey just under my skin?

On the 20 minute or so trip home I considered the enormity of my plan

(I know - night time thoughts tend to have more drama!)

:scared2:

This morning I looked at my left foot and an injury healing but still apparent from one of my MANY falls up the stairs.

After nearly 2 months it's still sore-ish and not my usual rate of healing.

My little toe looks bigger and rounder (I stubbed it painfully about a year ago)

:)

I had absolutely no doubts last week - and I still think this is the right thing to do -

But how do you deal with negative thoughts and serious considerations that creep in occasionally?

:wink2: