Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi Fifties gang,

I've been on the forum for a few months and was banded on April 8. This is my first time in the Fifties board but I think I will be visiting more often. I only went back a couple of pages on posts and realize that there is so much success in this group. So many of you have done so well in just a year's time or less! I need all the inspiration I can get and I think I have found it.

Alice

271/144.5/150

Hi Fifties gang,

I've been on the forum for a few months and was banded on April 8. This is my first time in the Fifties board but I think I will be visiting more often. I only went back a couple of pages on posts and realize that there is so much success in this group. So many of you have done so well in just a year's time or less! I need all the inspiration I can get and I think I have found it.

Alice

271/144.5/150

Hi Alice

Can't hide from me I am everywhere :lol::lol::lol:

Everyone else - I know Alice - she is a member of my mentor group :biggrin2:

The 50+ thread is great as we have diff issues than some of the younger ones - menopause - grown kid problems - grandkids - plus we have lost the weight so many times before and I think we really get it that this is our last ditch effort to get it off and keep it off.

Welcome to our thread :)

Hi Fifties gang,

Alice

271/144.5/150

Hi Alice

Can't hide from me I am everywhere :lol::lol::lol:

Everyone else - I know Alice - she is a member of my mentor group :biggrin2:

The 50+ thread is great as we have diff issues than some of the younger ones - menopause - grown kid problems - grandkids - plus we have lost the weight so many times before and I think we really get it that this is our last ditch effort to get it off and keep it off.

Welcome to our thread :)

Yes, Alice... WELCOME!

This is a GREAT thread!

Well, had my nutrition consult and psych eval today! Both went well (yea!!). I taked up this web site and the nutritionist and psychologist both wrote it down so they could pass it onto other potential banders. Both women were impressed with what I knew. I have you guys to thank for that.

Now for the colonoscopy and to make sure my ins pays for this, then it will be time to set the date. Whoo-Hoo, can't wait!!

I was banded May 20th...just getting into soft foods, doing well. BUT it seems as if I can eat more and more. I have not had any fills yet.

I still stay under 1100 calories and am slowly losing, but volume-wise I can "eat more". When I drink Water, I can drink more too.

I can now eat 2 cups of Soup, and I want it!! :) Before it was only one cup.

Please tell me I didn't stretch out my pouch!! I would think it is because my post op swelling is all down and I am getting ready to need a fill????

I have my first post op app't on Thursday, but it is only with Nutritionist.

ANY THOUGHTS??? THanks

I was banded May 20th...just getting into soft foods, doing well. BUT it seems as if I can eat more and more. I have not had any fills yet.

I still stay under 1100 calories and am slowly losing, but volume-wise I can "eat more". When I drink Water, I can drink more too.

I can now eat 2 cups of Soup, and I want it!! :) Before it was only one cup.

Please tell me I didn't stretch out my pouch!! I would think it is because my post op swelling is all down and I am getting ready to need a fill????

ANY THOUGHTS??? THanks

Well, maybe you've heard this before, but.....

JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN, DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD!!

When we say the band is just a TOOL,

that we have to do the work,

that means that at those times when we don't have enough restriction, we have to exercise self control.

I know it's tough before you have a fill,

but you have to work WITH the band.

Liquids will go right through.

My doctor's instructions, when I was at where you are now,

was to have 1/2 cup servings 6X a day. And eating that often pretty much kept me from getting too hungry.

You have undoubtedly entered in to "BANDSTER HELL".

That is, post-op healing going well, but no restriction yet.

It will get better when you start getting your fills.

ChristyC- The good news is that you're obviously not too swollen internally from the surgery or from the new band around your stomach. Bad news you know. You know what...you'll have a fill in a few weeks and that will help, so look at this as the last time you'll be having to do this on your own! My brotherinlaw lost about 30 on the 3 weeks of liquid prior to his banding, then gained it all back until his fills hit the "sweet spot". He claimed his doctor said that all that matters the first few weeks was healing.

Well, that's well and good, but you can heal and not gain the weight back. Drink hot fluids- they fill you up, use Fiber supplement- that will help fill you up, and find a diet hot chocolate for the really tough moments.

Good luck

Hi all, I am being banded tomorrow. My surgeon is using a 10 band on me. what is the difference in the band sizes and will it take longer for me to get restriction since my band is large. Would like to know

Becko

It can be a little bit more difficult to find restriction with a larger band.

Ask your doctor to be aggressive with fills. Some doctors really like to sneak up on restriction, and that can be really frustrating.

Had my band installed yesterday. They took me into OR at 1pm and did not get done till 4pm. Back in my room at 5pm. The banding went well. Had hernia repair of a "monster" doc said. Also some adhesions had to be dealt with.

All in all, I feel pretty good. Very little gas pains and tummy just feels like I did a sit up marathon. Very surprising but doc is starting me on Soups, cream of wheat, etc tomorrow morning. Next week, June 24, I can go to scrambled eggs, soft meats like tuna, cottage cheese and soft veggies. By July 1 he will start me on regular foods. Seems awfully quick but will go by what he tells me and see how it goes.

Going for a walk and then back to the couch. I can say the only thing that really bothers me this morning is where they did the hernia repair and it really isn't that bad. You all have a great day!

Apples,

Welcome to Bandland! You have already done so well pre-op, I know you will be successful with your new weight loss tool. I was glad that I didn't have any pre-op diet or requirements but I now realize that I would have been a little bit further on learning the portions and slow eating if I did have a pre-op diet. I've had one fill but haven't hit my "sweet spot" yet. I go back on June 24 for my next appointment. Hopefully I'll get some signals after another fill.

Feel better soon. Sounds like you are doing great!

Alice

271/243/150

Banded April 8, 2008

Well, had my nutrition consult and psych eval today! Both went well (yea!!). I taked up this web site and the nutritionist and psychologist both wrote it down so they could pass it onto other potential banders. Both women were impressed with what I knew. I have you guys to thank for that.

Now for the colonoscopy and to make sure my ins pays for this, then it will be time to set the date. Whoo-Hoo, can't wait!!

MyTurn - Yep I talk this site up to my doc's office all the time and he too was suprised at all I knew prior to banding - thanks to this website.

I got approval for surgery as soon as my psych eval was sent to insurance - I had my colonoscopy 7/13 and was banded 7/17..

I can now eat 2 cups of Soup, and I want it!! :confused_smile: Before it was only one cup.

ANY THOUGHTS??? THanks

Christy

I am not a doc - but don't think you have streached your pouch - you are in bandster hell - time between surgery & 1st fill.

You are doing good on your calories and I would continue that -As Phyl says just cuz you can eat more doesn't mean you should - You are going to have to use your will power & self control - you have it you just aren't use to using it - as obese pple we gave into every craving that we had when ever we wanted. As you will learn on this journey to be healthy - being a little hungry isn't going to kill you but being obese is.

Most doc's don't fill until 6 weeks out - I have seen some give at 4 weeks but ususally it's 6..

You can do this - drink your water, get your Protein in and walk till you are cleared to do anything else.

Hi all, I am being banded tomorrow. My surgeon is using a 10 band on me. what is the difference in the band sizes and will it take longer for me to get restriction since my band is large. Would like to know Becko

Becko- Prayers & Hugs... Per my doc the size of the band is due to the size of your stomach.. I have the new ap band large hit my sweet spot on 2nd fill and had a tweak in January - I never cared about the size or # of cc's in my band (always wondered why everyone is) all I care about is that it works - who cares how.

Had my band installed yesterday. They took me into OR at 1pm and did not get done till 4pm. Back in my room at 5pm. The banding went well. Had hernia repair of a "monster" doc said. Also some adhesions had to be dealt with.

All in all, I feel pretty good. Very little gas pains and tummy just feels like I did a sit up marathon. Very surprising but doc is starting me on Soups, cream of wheat, etc tomorrow morning. Next week, June 24, I can go to scrambled eggs, soft meats like tuna, cottage cheese and soft veggies. By July 1 he will start me on regular foods. Seems awfully quick but will go by what he tells me and see how it goes.

Going for a walk and then back to the couch. I can say the only thing that really bothers me this morning is where they did the hernia repair and it really isn't that bad. You all have a great day!

Apple - sounds like you did great !!! All doc's are so diff - I had full liquids after surgery and had 10 days on each phase..

Rest - Walk - glad to know you are doing so great..

Apples,

Welcome to Bandland! You have already done so well pre-op, I know you will be successful with your new weight loss tool. I was glad that I didn't have any pre-op diet or requirements but I now realize that I would have been a little bit further on learning the portions and slow eating if I did have a pre-op diet. I've had one fill but haven't hit my "sweet spot" yet. I go back on June 24 for my next appointment. Hopefully I'll get some signals after another fill.Feel better soon. Sounds like you are doing great!

Alice

271/243/150

Banded April 8, 2008

Alice

I am 11 months out and I still have to becareful to eat slowly - chew - old habits die hard :drool: My 2nd fill was the one:biggrin:

I also had a "monster" of a hernia repair. I was told 3/4 of my stomach was in my chest. No waonder I had severe acid reflux

No more nexium since surgery. the hernia repair did make my recovery a bit slower than others I know that were banded at the same time. but now i fell great, eat almost anything, spicey or bland.

I also had a "monster" of a hernia repair. I was told 3/4 of my stomach was in my chest. No waonder I had severe acid reflux

No more nexium since surgery. the hernia repair did make my recovery a bit slower than others I know that were banded at the same time. but now i fell great, eat almost anything, spicey or bland.

Good to hear about the no more nexium thing, Lynn. I have taken Prilosec for at least 12 years, if not more. Last night was my first without it. They coated my stomach in nexium so we'll see if I need anything tonight. Hopefully I never will

Apples,

Welcome to Bandland! You have already done so well pre-op, I know you will be successful with your new weight loss tool. I was glad that I didn't have any pre-op diet or requirements but I now realize that I would have been a little bit further on learning the portions and slow eating if I did have a pre-op diet. I've had one fill but haven't hit my "sweet spot" yet. I go back on June 24 for my next appointment. Hopefully I'll get some signals after another fill.

Feel better soon. Sounds like you are doing great!

Alice

271/243/150

Banded April 8, 2008

Thanks, Alice. I feel that the six month supervised diet was to my advantage. I have practiced eating like a banded person for quite some time. I am down a little over 50lbs and know that this last 50 will take longer to lose but I am ready to be patient about that.

I wonder how my fills will go. I am allergic to novacaine and anything related. Doc told me yesterday I will probably just have to "hang on" life I do at the dentist. Well, back to walking, sipping and sleeping!