Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi, Just found this today and am so happy that there is something for us "more mature" folk. I have a question: Was banded Oct 3, 2007. I've lost 55 pounds, 40 to go. I've had three fills post surgery. The last was 5 days ago. I haven't been able to each much without it coming back up. This morning I only had some Water and had heartburn for hours. Tonight I had a couple of bites of mac/cheese and slimed and am still in pain around my chest. My question is will the band loosen with time or do I need to go back to the doc (who is 90 miles away) again for a sort of unfill? Helpppppppppppppp :unsure:

Hi, Just found this today and am so happy that there is something for us "more mature" folk. I have a question: Was banded Oct 3, 2007. I've lost 55 pounds, 40 to go. I've had three fills post surgery. The last was 5 days ago. I haven't been able to each much without it coming back up. This morning I only had some Water and had heartburn for hours. Tonight I had a couple of bites of mac/cheese and slimed and am still in pain around my chest. My question is will the band loosen with time or do I need to go back to the doc (who is 90 miles away) again for a sort of unfill? Helpppppppppppppp :unsure:

Sounds like you might need a bit of an unfill. I'd say if you are getting heartburn for four hours on Water, you're probably too tight. Anyone else want to chime in on this?? I haven't yet experienced too tight, but it sounds like what others have described.

36_20_7.gif

Hi everyone, I need some advice. I went for my first fill on April 29th and I will be going for my second fill on June 2nd. I dont seem to be losing a couple of pounds between my 1st and second fill. Is that normal for people. Do alot of people lose more after there second fill. Help.

Sharon when were you banded? I didn't lose quickly and my fills really had nothing to do with it.

If you eat right, the lbs will come off. I think they come off more slowly for people in our age group (except for Janet :) but everyone can't expect to lose 2 lbs a week like they say we will. I always went on plateaus and then would suddenly drop 5 lbs without doing anything differently.

It does help the weight loss to exercise too!

Patriciann, you might need some taken out. Sometimes the band will loosen on it's own, but you will need to only eat Soup and Protein shakes for a few days and see how it goes. Drinking things warm will help too.

I would definitely stay away from foods that are not band friendly and mac and cheese would be one of those. Did you do the mushie diet

after surgery? You need to stay on mushies and liquids when you are that tight.

i would also say there is a need for a slight unfill. For discomfort to last that long and with just water!!!

Hastings, thanks for sharing the article on Protein. I have only been able to get in about 40-50 gms per day with food and wondered if I should try to get in a 20 gm Protein Shake. I am 5-4 and weigh about 208. Becky

I'm by no means an expert on Protein. I make sure I get 50 grams a day. It works fine for me. I work out for an hour a day.

I have a familial history of colon cancer so getting lots of Fiber is important and i have begun to make sure that I do. I'm trying to find a good balance.

Just do some research and take into account what your doctor said and make your own decision, after listening to your body, is my best advice.:)

Hello 50s!

It has been a few days since I posted on here.:biggrin2:

It is 10 days until my surgery and I am getting very excited! I have been on the low carb diet since Friday and am down 5 lbs. :scared2: I am sure part of that is the lasix I have been taking for the Fluid build up I had. That is much better now, by the way! Thanks for all your support during that scare. We still don't know what caused it.:confused2:

It is such an inspiration to read about everyone's success on here and the good tips! Thanks so much for sharing! This board has kept me sane and informed! And it is so well managed! :smile2:

Hi Cathy, good to hear that you are doing so well. I'll tell you, if I wouldn't have found this site while waiting for surgery I would have gone crazy. I was on it several times a day asking questions and looking for tips and advise. I feel that 90% of the advise is credible and very helpful. Now as I move through the early days of post op I have gotten so much great advise on meals, receipes, and remedies for the little things that come up. Just stay tuned and excited because it will be the greatest adventure of your life. Becky

My DR requires minimum 64 gms of Protein per day, for a woman and 70gms for men. will admit I do not always get that much, but do my best to try. All DR have their own guidelines that we are advised to follow. so all we can do is go by what information we are given from them and follow it as best we can.

Just look at the variance in the type of pre-op diets we were all on...

Hi Everyone! I had my first fill today, 30 days after being banded. I honestly don't feel anything different and I am still starving! I haven't lost anymore weight since starting on regular food again. I am getting nervous that this is going to work. I am back on liquids today and mushies tomorrow but this is way harder than after surgery when I wasn't hungry at all. I want that feeling back. Is it unusual to not feel any restriction after the first fill?

Yes, it's pretty normal to not get restriction after only one fill. I don't know why doctors want to sneak up on those fills. If you live close to your doctor and you still don't feel any differently after a week, I would call and see how soon you can get another one.

Hi everyone, Tonight I feel real tight across my stomach I don't know why.But I do have a stomach ache. Has anyone found this in common. Has anyone been sick? I also have felt nausea the past few days too. I don't think it has any thing to do with my lapband. But it is across where my belly button is.