Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I don't really have a problem with wanting to eat once I am full. I seem to want to eat as little as possible. I really hate that feeling of being too full. I haven't pbed in a really long time and I hardly ever get food stuck anymore. It's really nice. I have finally learned to chew enough, and eat slow. It took me long enough!

Carol, it's good to see you. It won't be long now and I will see you in person again!

even though i am only 11 days post op i am getting worried about eating solids. right now i am even chewing Jello and yougurt, like they need to be chewed. I have always been a very fast eater. Never paying attention to the amount, just putting it in my mouth... gulping and swallowing large amounts.. of course that is one reason my weight got to where it is. I am so trying to be conscious of time and when and where i am eating, even if it is still liauids.

Just my typical concern and worries. I hate the idea of throwing up and more gas. I have at least 1-2 more weeks before mushies....but still am hesitant when that time comes....

I need some advice to ease my hesitation!!!!!

Hi folks. It's Carol, age 54, from SE Ohio. Surgery set for April 8. Getting nervous and excited.:rolleyes2: On a modified low Protein pre op diet due to kidney disease. Trying not to think much about hunger pangs.:teeth_smile: Trying to get off coffee....or at least lessen the amount. Self pay, Dr. Trace Curry, Cincinnati. BMI 41. Good to be on this forum.

Carol - I use sandwich plates not regular dinner plates - but I too hate leaving food behind - why it's not like we don't know where our next meal is coming from - it's like we think we are going to strave - we aren't in a 3rd world country where we don't know when we are going to get our next meal from... OMW we are so spoiled - plus we were all brought up on the clean plate club - don't waste there are straving children in Africa.. Conditioning... These are the reason - part of it is the whole waste thing - but you just gotta say "better in thee (trash) than in me"

Lynn

I think we all inhaled our food prior to being banded - we shovelled it in. But you are doing good with being conscouis about when where and how your a eating - that's what you have to do.. Don't be afaird of the mushies - you are going to do great cuz you are thinking about your choices and are wary - we all need to be wary of food - we have to be careful not to let it control us - we have to control it..

Denise - I want to eat the least amount of calories possible but still want the most amount of food for those calories - I am still a mentally a volume eater (low calories but still volume)- my band prevents me from over doing it

Carol 4784

Welcome - this is a great site for support and info

i am lucky I could still have my coffee (1 or 2 cups daily) ..

Hi all...I'd like to find a link to enter my weight loss into...such as a graph I've seen on other posts. Can't seem to come up with my own in Excel since I'm not a wiz at it. Anyone know where to find a good template? Hit a 3-month pleateau over the winter, but weights moving again...(signature has not been revised...down 47 lbs as of this morning...kept track of everything on fitday.com for a couple of weeks. Really seemed to help discuss the slump with Dr. Snacking was up on carbs..no bread, but other...one more fill to make 16, now 3.3 in my band. We'll see if this makes all the difference!

I swear in the cold months our bodies hold on to every ounce of fat like chipmunks!

Thanks!

I have a question, I'm Day 11 post op and started mushies a few days ago. My question is, what is the average calorie count in 1 day for everyone who is banded. I'm only supposed to be eating 2-4 oz of anything right now and most of the time it is keeping me satisifed and I'm only eating 3 or 4 times a day so my calorie counts including my Protein Drink has only been between 400-600 calories a day, is this normal or should I be getting more calories in than this? I'm eating deli sliced meats, eggs, string cheese, refried Beans, tuna, baked fish. I can also add some vegetables and canned fruit if I have room, but so far have just done the Protein foods. I'm just concerned that since I'm not getting too many calories, I don't want my body to go into the starvation mode.

I too am 11 days post op, but still on liquids. I am taking in about 500 calories as day with the Protein powders mixed in skim milk or Water. not really sure of a correct calorie count for a typical day.

This is a great question to ask everyone. I look forward to hearing answers..

I have a question, I'm Day 11 post op and started mushies a few days ago. My question is, what is the average calorie count in 1 day for everyone who is banded. I'm only supposed to be eating 2-4 oz of anything right now and most of the time it is keeping me satisifed and I'm only eating 3 or 4 times a day so my calorie counts including my Protein drink has only been between 400-600 calories a day, is this normal or should I be getting more calories in than this? I'm eating deli sliced meats, eggs, string cheese, refried Beans, tuna, baked fish. I can also add some vegetables and canned fruit if I have room, but so far have just done the Protein foods. I'm just concerned that since I'm not getting too many calories, I don't want my body to go into the starvation mode.

I lose best on 1,000 calories a day. Everyone is different though. You could always add a protein drink in there if you need more calories.

For those of you just post-op and on full liquids. Don't worry if you don't get 800-1000- in, just concentrate on PROTIEN, don't let that drop below 60grams for the day. This can be accomplished with 3 or 4 quality protien shakes. Low sugar (not slimfast)

I make it a practice to eat off of a luncheon size plate all the time now. And I've stopped using a cereal/soup bowl. As it was way too big, holds almost 2 cups...

Lessofme - Tickerfactory.com is where we get our ticker and they have a graph too...

Thin & Lynn - I was able to get in maybe 800 to 1000 calories post op - I didn't have this 2 or 4 oz rule - my rules were 60 grms of Protein I could eat about 1 cup of food - and as stated before for me mentally that's the minimum amount that I want to eat per meal - I ususlly have may be 2 cups the 2nd cup being veggie - 1st cup fish & rice -

Weight control oatmeal 7 grms pt 160 calories

lunch was usually Soup 200 calories 10 grms pt

Clear Protein Drink 70 c 15 grms pt

2 sf puddings 120 calories 6 grms pt

1 healthy choice sf fudgecicly 80 calories 3 grms pt

1 cup Beans with cheese 300 c - 15 grms pt

String cheese 50 calories 5 grms pt

980 calories - 61 grms of protein

For me my calorie budget s

Breakfat is about 100 to 200

lunch 200 - 300

dinner 300 - 400

Snacks 300 (3x100)

Some days i may eat 900 - next day 1200 - it varies - I don't eat the same exact calories every day

I used unjury Protein powder 20 grms of pt and 100 calories -so by the time you add the milk its 220 for a shake

also each ounce of meat has 7 grms of protein.

Add some sf yogurt to your shakes 5 grms pt 60 calories (dannon light & fit) add furit - Peanut Butter - you can boost the calories and vit by adding diff stuff

I'm with Denise - I usually eat between 1000 to 1200 calories a day.. and I have lost weight every week except one - and I stayed even that week.

Also, once you have been released from your doc - you need to start exercising...

For those of you just post-op and on full liquids. Don't worry if you don't get 800-1000- in, just concentrate on PROTIEN, don't let that drop below 60grams for the day. This can be accomplished with 3 or 4 quality protien shakes. Low sugar (not slimfast)

I make it a practice to eat off of a luncheon size plate all the time now. And I've stopped using a cereal/soup bowl. As it was way too big, holds almost 2 cups...

Peaches

I have a little bowl I got at Target (do you have targets in Canada?) it's exactly 1 cup - I eat out of that and like you I use a sandwich plate and I use condiment size spoon & fork ... I haven't eaten off a big girl plate in a long long time now...

Hey Indio girl! Man am I glad the over 50 crowd has a place to ask questions. I am 51 and having mine done the 14th of April 08 by Dr. Roger DeLa Torre in Columbia, Missouri. He has pioneered the laproscopic bariatric surgery. I have awful feet for exercising so I am going to try Water walking and the exercise band for now to tone up for surgery. I begin my 2 week liquid only diet Monday fro pre surgery as required by my surgeon.. Any help on things that are good, tricks, taking stuff to work etc. GOSH I am glad this is an Older crowd, Not thirty any longer, but loving my life!!

Hello all you 50+ people. I am 56 and had the surgery done on March 18, 2008. I'm still on liquids, but have dropped 15 pounds so far. Dr. Jefferson Vaughn did the surgery, and he's wonderful, well maybe not wonderful, (he's a previous military doctor), but very good.

Quick question, why do we have to be on liquids for 3 - 4 weeks after surgery? I understand that it takes time for the lap band to adhere to the stomach, but isn't that a long time for liquids? I had a taste of hummis at 6 days after surgery, and paid for it dearly the the next 2 days. Ok, ok, I learned my lesson. But I sure do get hungry for real food.

Deb

weight.png

Edited by jjsmema

Oooooo!! Hummus? made from Beans, beans cause gas & bloat you, stretches the ol new stomach sac. I was told that it takes at least that 2-3 weeks for the stomach to heal around the band. Where did the doc locate your port? CAn anyone else chime in on this? (My darn keyboard is getting stiff to key) You have already dropped 15 #'s? man that is great:rolleyes2:. I was told that my surgeon would place it where it was convenient (for him or me?) He is a greatly known kinda guy in this field, soI trust him.

Well, I'm glad to find an area for us "middle aged" folks to address our needs. I'm still thinking about this operation and I am pursuing the surgical requirements. I'm also checking with two other places to have the surgery. I live in a rural location. The main center I'm interested in is about 3 hours away. The other two I'm going to check is about an hour to an hour and a half. The costs seem to be about the same. Insurance won't pay a penny. I'm a type II diabetic with failing kidneys - they have a ways to go but it got my attention. My blood sugars are still somewhat out of control (HbA1c 7-8) and I inject a long acting insulin - Lantus - twice a day for a total of 120 units. I currently weigh 285 lbs and I'm 5'7" tall.

So, yes, I somewhat scared of the surgery. More scared of possible complications than the surgery itself. I also worry if I'm throwiing away money for something I should be able to do myuself but can't. I don't necessarily feel all that good about myself and this.

I guess that one of my worries is that I will still be hungary and not be able to do anything about it. I also worry that I will be feeling many lows on blood sugar and again not be able to do anything. Also, I sweat a lot and I'm somewhat worried about dehydration. I currently just gussle 15 - 20 oz. of Water if I get really thirsty.

Anyway, if any of you have anything to say from your experiences that may help please do so. Aalso, if any one is (or was) a type II diabetic on Lantis, I would be most interested in you story.

Many thanks,

Dan