Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

O. K. guys, I'm reading something about pb. What is this and should I be expecting it? I know it has something to do with burbing but is it a good thing or not?

pb stands for productive burp. Sometimes you burp and food comes with it. It's not a very good term. Most of the time, when food gets stuck and will not go through the band, it's painful until it comes up. First your mouth keeps filling up with thick saliva, which is the body's way to try to bring up the offending food. Then sometimes you will throw up this same stuff, we call slime. Eventually, the food that is stuck will come up and it's not like a burp at all. It;s more like puking, but it doesn't have stomach acid with it.

No, it is not a good thing. That is the reason we say chew up your food until there is nothing left to chew. Too much of this throwing up can cause the band to slip. It usually happens if you're too tight or have too much of a fill. If you are tight like that, it's very important to take itty bitty bites and chew it up until it's mush.

oregondaisy, that is the best I have read, very informative to those of us who are new. I was banded on 10th, so no fill yet. Now I will chew, chew, chew for sure. I guess I will post a train for my tracker to remind me to chew,chew,chew! Now, I have a question. I have lost 32 since I first went to the doctor on 22 Dec 2008. But now it seems just really hard to lose. Will the weight lose start again once the band is tight or am I just wanting too much too soon? I live in CA we want everything quick! LOL Thanks!

Thanks, I think my fill March 10th will put me where I need to be. I had lost 2 lbs last week, have put them back on this week....BAD food CHOICES, AND NO EXERCISING. As of tomorrow I will keep my little notebook handy at all times and keep track of calories.

Janet..we went to Joes Crab Shack last night and I tried some of DIL baked Talipia....:rolleyes: Didn't like it.

Everyone have a good weekend.

oregondaisy, that is the best I have read, very informative to those of us who are new. I was banded on 10th, so no fill yet. Now I will chew, chew, chew for sure. I guess I will post a train for my tracker to remind me to chew,chew,chew! Now, I have a question. I have lost 32 since I first went to the doctor on 22 Dec 2008. But now it seems just really hard to lose. Will the weight lose start again once the band is tight or am I just wanting too much too soon? I live in CA we want everything quick! LOL Thanks!

Blklab

What food stage are you on?? Are you tracking your calories

And Yes the weight loss is going to slow - I think I lost like 9 lbs the 1st week and don't really remember how much after that - it would vary from 2 lbs one week - then maybe 3 - then 2.5 - click on my ticker and it will show my weight loss history - but again don't let that depress you as we all lose weight at diff rates - it depends on your metabolisam - your calories and your exercise..

Since I'm from Cali too - I know all about wanting it fast and about 4 month through the journey you think you are never going to get to goal - but girl all those lost pounds add up.

So don't focus so much on how many more you have to loose just focus on losing by changing your eating to eating healthy (not dieting) and moving (exercise)...

If you do the work involve (and it's work) you will get to your goal - it's maybe slower than other or it could be faster than other - but all that's important is that YOU get to YOUR goal in YOUR own time...

Thanks, I think my fill March 10th will put me where I need to be. I had lost 2 lbs last week, have put them back on this week....BAD food CHOICES, AND NO EXERCISING. As of tomorrow I will keep my little notebook handy at all times and keep track of calories.

Janet..we went to Joes Crab Shack last night and I tried some of DIL baked Talipia....:rolleyes: Didn't like it.

Everyone have a good weekend.

PJ

You promised me you would exercise girl and make good food choice !!! Come on now .... You can do this...

I haven't had talipa lately - I eat catfish 99.9% of the time or scallop or shrimp.. But if you don't like fish don't eat it - do chicken and just a little beef.

I guess Im not convinced Im too tight. Luckily it was just that one episode and I was on a cruise and didnt take anything for it except ice cream for a week and gained 5 lbs.

I did all my fills under fluro and barium swallow tests with a fill doctor who refuses to make you so tight you cant easily eat.

I think if it was as easy as being too tight, it wouldnt have taken 2 months for that episode. Havent had reflux any other time since I was banded last July 9th, right before you.

.... If you can cure the reflux by just taking out fill, then why do so many people have their bands removed because of reflux is the question Id like to know. There has to be more to reflux and its connection to the lapband, than the simple "you must be too tight". No one has answered why my seminar leader had her band removed AFTER she lost her weight and got reflux which couldnt be stopped. Surely they tried removing fill if thats all there is to this rather

Hi Flowers,

I'm not sure that you want to hear my take on this.

I saw my new surgeon again this morning. He said the reflux is due to the band having slipped and blocking everything getting through, therefore just filling with acid until it is forced up again. This is also the reason I've had such bad burping problems. My previous surgeon used to just smile and say "Oh that's just a side affect of the band". Not true!

My operation has been put back till the 9th March as Dr Padovan wasn't able to get an anesthesiest for the time needed on the 5th March.

He repeated that it's going to be very risky as he has to unpick all the other surgeon has done and try to repair mistakes as well as get the band out safely. This will take a minimum of 4 hours. He has cancelled 2 other patients operations that day as he does not want to be rushed. Now that's scarey for him to say that!!!!!!

Everything being OK I'll be in hospital for about 5 days and it can take up to 1 year to heal properly inside. Wow!!!

In hindsight, I should've been more assertive with the other surgeon and insisted he find out through tests what was causing these things and not just gone along with his smiling cop outs. Hindsight is so good isn't it! Not very helpful though.

My advice, such as it is, is get it checked out thoroughly, even if you feel silly complaining about it. Do it, it could be your life at risk like mine is.

Best wishes.

Katy - sounds like your surgeon has given you all the facts and figures for your surgery. That has to be a good thing, being informed. Prayers and thoughts are with you

Oreo - WTG congrats on 100# gone

I am on a losing streak again. 2# last week and 2.5# this week.. now down to where I was a month ago..yippee... no more eating around my band.. it was deadly to weight loss.

100 POUNDS GONE TODAY!!!!!:):thumbup::thumbup:

CONGRATULATIONS OREA

:thumbup:- WTG GIRL - :thumbup:

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::rolleyes::biggrin::lol::tt1::tt1::tt1::tongue::tongue::tongue::tt2::biggrin::)

Congratulations Orea!

Flowers, listen to Katy. Being too tight is not a good thing.

If you don't think you're too tight, that's fine. But if you are experiencing any problems, talk to your dr. There are too many people posting on this board that their band eroded their stomach to a dangerous point.

Katy, I am so sorry you have to go through this. I am really glad you found a good surgeon this time.

You will definitely lose as you get more fills. You're way ahead of the game already. I lost 22 lbs on my post op diet the first 4

weeks then lost nothing for the next 4 months!