Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I have a question. Has anyone been totally fatigued with absolutely no energy daily. I was hospitalized for lack of fluids, an 2nd time for depleted potassium. I do IV infusions twice a week, still barely helps. I do the Protein daily as well as Water. Any ideas ?? Dr. says follow program, as I do..so far regretting surgery.

1 hour ago, Teriesa said:

Hi everyone, I have a question. Has anyone been totally fatigued with absolutely no energy daily. I was hospitalized for lack of fluids, an 2nd time for depleted potassium. I do IV infusions twice a week, still barely helps. I do the Protein daily as well as Water. Any ideas ?? Dr. says follow program, as I do..so far regretting surgery.

You are far enough out that it seems like you would be feeling better. You say you are getting enough Protein and Water which would’ve been my first question. Are you taking your Multivitamin? Are the iv infusions prescribed by your doctor?

I know they have some pop up places now where anyone can walk in and I have never asked my dr about them but I am not sure they should be allowed to have them. From what I understand they have alot of Vitamins and stuff that may seem harmless because they aren’t a pill but combined with different vitamins they may actually interfere with prescription drugs or other vitamins.

Like when Calcium doesn't absorb as well if you take it too close In time to when you take Iron (or is it visa versa). Anyways, if you are doing the infusions on your own, be sure to run the exact ingredients by your doctor. If you have considered all this I would reach out to your doctor and they may want to run some labs.

Could possibly be something entirely unrelated too. My primary care provider told me if I had issues for a while post op I was supposed to call the surgeon first and they would tell me if it could be surgery related or if I should call my primary doctor.

staying hydrated is really important...are you able to drink now? or are u still needing infusions?

i was pretty exhausted the first 2-3 months...likely due to the fact i was barely eating anything.

Around month 3, i started eating more did start to feel much better, to the point i actually started really exercising (beyond walking around the block i mean, lol)

How many calories are you getting in these days?

7 hours ago, Teriesa said:

Unfortunately, yes I at almost 9 months out still feel fatigued - no burst of energy like a lot of people comment on after recovering and losing some weight..sorry to not being more helpful. I was told the same thing when I asked my doctor "follow the program" like I wasn't and its my fault for being exhausted! They did run my labs - I'm dehydrated.. "Drink more" that's it. If all your labs are good now that you're doing IV's job st hope it starts to help.

I hope you feel better soon, do as I do and take one day at a time, one step at a time and hope the next day will be better, after all its all you can do if you're "following the program" just keep an eye on your macros/water, Vitamins etc oh yeah and "drink more water"! 😋

14 hours ago, Teriesa said:

8 hours ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

Unfortunately, yes I at almost 9 months out still feel fatigued - no burst of energy like a lot of people comment on after recovering and losing some weight..sorry to not being more helpful. I was told the same thing when I asked my doctor "follow the program" like I wasn't and its my fault for being exhausted! They did run my labs - I'm dehydrated.. "Drink more" that's it. If all your labs are good now that you're doing IV's job st hope it starts to help.

I hope you feel better soon, do as I do and take one day at a time, one step at a time and hope the next day will be better, after all its all you can do if you're "following the program" just keep an eye on your macros/water, Vitamins etc oh yeah and "drink more water"! 😋

Thank you for responding. I just hope I return to myself soon. I do the Protein and the Water, I did get liquid vitamins as well. The IV’s do help but only for a short time. I’m wondering if losing 70 lbs and just starting my 4th month post-op might be the problem. Oh well I’ll just go thru this and pray it gets better soon.

10 hours ago, ms.sss said:

staying hydrated is really important...are you able to drink now? or are u still needing infusions?

i was pretty exhausted the first 2-3 months...likely due to the fact i was barely eating anything.

Around month 3, i started eating more did start to feel much better, to the point i actually started really exercising (beyond walking around the block i mean, lol)

10 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Thanks for your response. I am drinking fluids as much as I can. If I take just one to many sips, I’ll throw up. I’m not taking in a lot of calories reason being I’ll throw up. It’s a balancing act for me right now. I am still doing my infusions couple days a week. It does help but it last only a day or two. I suppose this will just take prayers and time.

What has been your surgeon’s response to your throwing up? Are you still waiting between sips & bites? You may be someone who needs to be careful about this. Almost 5 years out & while I can drink more I can’t take more than two big glugs of Water at a time.

You say you’re eating & drinking as much as you can but how much Fluid are you actually getting in? How much Protein? How many calories would you average? Are you trying to eat a variety of foods - some vegetables, fruit, dairy, complex carbs as well as protein? If you aren’t eating much or drinking enough you will feel lethargic & have little energy.

Hi, my surgeon has set me up with a GI for testing . I’ve done the sipping and waiting at least 30 minutes before I eat. As of now I’m only able to drink a little over 32 oz, but trying to do more everyday. food intake varies each day because of getting sick. I do Protein Shakes, Protein Bars, fish, chicken, broccoli cauliflower. I really think I’m not getting enough. I’m also wondering if being under a lot of stress can be the problem too. Hopefully I’ll get this under control soon.

1 hour ago, Teriesa said:

I’m also wondering if being under a lot of stress can be the problem too.

Yes exactly this. This is so very tiring. Your brain is going a mile a minute and must be burning so many calories.

I get B12 shots every 3 months at my doctors. If you have bariatric surgery here it seems to be the norm. These are like liquid energy and I don't need to check my calendar when they are due for renewal. The last two weeks are hell, I drag myself around.

I had similar issues to you in my first year. I really struggled to eat and my calories were so low. I tired easily too. My team and I decided that it would be best for me to eat tiny meals, 6 times a day. My menu would be, meal 1, Protein yogurt 2, homemade lentil and veg Soup 3, scrambled egg 4, Fish in a sauce 5, Some Jerky or cheese 6, a latte or some watermelon. This, in my mind gave me everything, I nutritionally needed but my calories were about 500 a day. I started to do full fat everything and upped my calories to 800 slowly.

You will feel regret, its a lot to deal with. Every week gets easier. Once you master drinking enough you will leap forward.