Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Buddies!

@Courtnay You aren't being a downer at all. I can relate to what you have said more than you know! I'll message you tomorrow so this thread doesn't go too far off topic! I'm glad what I said helped. I appreciate you too! 💚

19 hours ago, Courtnay said:

I have spoken about it with him while I was recovering in my hospital bed but he wants to see how I do with the sleeve first. He said we can discuss gastric bypass long down the road if I still want it done. Not sure why I was on Optifast for 5 weeks prior since my anesthesiologist told me they didn't really care to have me on it that long anyways. I slipped a few times to which I told them and they seemed rather unbothered by it. So I'm not really sure how my liver had not shrunk enough in all that time. I was 365 going into surgery. Yes heavy, but no health issues thankfully. They knew gastric bypass was all I wanted and not the sleeve due to my gerd. It is what it is, just I now can't have this reversed. My emotions are all over the place which I hear is normal, but I'm feeling really miserable and regretful. I hope this changes for me because I feel like my entire life is now ruined permanently. But I also know that I couldn't keep digging my grave with a fork and spoon either. Hopefully my mind will change as this new lifestyle becomes more second-hand nature. Not sure at this point if I'll go through another surgery at this point unless absolutely needed. The whole experience was traumatic in my opinion. The nurse was mean to me. I was in so much pain and I felt the nurse I was left with was very cold. She kept getting mad at me for asking for help to go to the bathroom. I kept apologizing for bothering her when she rushes in with an ultrasound to look at my bladder. She then says it was not possible I needed to go as my bladder only held so much liquid and she told me not to ask for help again unless my bladder was fuller. Not to mention when she took blood from me she used the same needle twice and dropped it all on the ground. I was so loopy but I saw it happen and was mortified after she left. Thankfully another nicer nurse took her place to help me after. Not saying this would happen again and all the other people were great and so kind to me, but she really made the whole scary and painful experience so much worse. Sorry venting a little.

My goodness. First of all I'd contact the hospital ombudsman about the experience there. Secondly, how bad was your Gerd before? That was the decision maker for my doctor on which surgery we were doing. A sleeve actually will make it worse. I was on 80mg of omeprezole daily before my surgery. Now I'm on 20 mg as a prevention. But, with a roux en y, that part of your stomach is connect so much further down that it eliminates the acid reflux.

I am so sorry for your experience. I definitely would look into seeing another doctor. Just for the fact alone that your reflux will be worse now...it used to have an entire stomach to be in....now it will just have basically a tube to go right up into your throat. Im so mad for you.

There are good doctors out there, and nurses. If you are able to get the roux, I would. I'd also request that if you're in the same hospital that the nasty nurse isn't allowed around you.

IMG_1720.thumb.jpeg.4fa4b4c7512e78e68d22a17db74b4051.jpegVulnerable post!!
Down 51lbs from starting weight… 2 months since surgery. To be honest there are some days I don’t see it, but I sure do feel it! People around are starting to notice as well. I’ve been a little depressed lately, but I don’t think that has anything to do with the weight loss. Just seasonal depression. Bring back blue sky’s and sunshine!!

Hope everyone is doing well, feeling successful and has no regrets!! You got this!!

You are killing it! I def see it in the pictures. I didn't do much before and after like I should have. But people are noticing too.

I am so ready for warmer weather and I am in GA so it's warmer compared to some but just give me the spring/ summer. I want to be outside walking not on my treadmill lol

36 minutes ago, Sergeant said:

To be honest there are some days I don’t see it, but I sure do feel it!

Wow, I can sure see it in these photos. You're doing great!

Hey everyone!!

how is everyone doing? I was exactly 6 weeks post op yesterday and it was my 33rd birthday!

I’ve lost 20lb since the op but 40lb since liver reducing (3 weeks of liquids) finally onto textured foods but prioritising Protein and liquids still. I’m now 248lb the lowest I’ve been is 224lb in adult life so I’m excited to get past that weight! I also get married at the end of June so determined to do the best possible.

after 4 years of waiting for the op, I can’t believe it’s now done!! Xxx

6 hours ago, Sergeant said:

IMG_1720.thumb.jpeg.4fa4b4c7512e78e68d22a17db74b4051.jpegVulnerable post!!
Down 51lbs from starting weight… 2 months since surgery. To be honest there are some days I don’t see it, but I sure do feel it! People around are starting to notice as well. I’ve been a little depressed lately, but I don’t think that has anything to do with the weight loss. Just seasonal depression. Bring back blue sky’s and sunshine!!

Hope everyone is doing well, feeling successful and has no regrets!! You got this!!

You look amazing!!!

8 hours ago, Laura.1912 said:

and it was my 33rd birthday!

I’ve lost 20lb since the op but 40lb since liver reducing (3 weeks of liquids) finally onto textured foods but prioritising Protein and liquids still. I’m now 248lb the lowest I’ve been is 224lb in adult life so I’m excited to get past that weight! I also get married at the end of June so determined to do the best possible.

after 4 years of waiting for the op, I can’t believe it’s now done!! Xxx

Happy late Birthday!! Sounds like you have such a wonderful and exciting year ahead of you with lots of firsts. I’m so happy for you!!

18 hours ago, Felicia1288 said:

You are killing it! I def see it in the pictures. I didn't do much before and after like I should have. But people are noticing too.

I am so ready for warmer weather and I am in GA so it's warmer compared to some but just give me the spring/ summer. I want to be outside walking not on my treadmill lol

Hey there yeah it has been so cold here in Georgia.

I can’t wait for the warmer weather for sure!!

On 1/29/2024 at 3:30 PM, Felicia1288 said:

Hey all. How is everyone doing at their one month mark? Just checking in.

Myself: before liquids my highest weight was 217

Before surgery 207

Now 187 🎉

So far it has been ok I guess. The surgery was “text book” according to the Dr. I had no pain after and I started back to the gym for treadmill and low weight machines on week 3.
I followed the plan. The last two weeks since I started soft foods has been hard. I’m 5 weeks out today. I am down 28 pounds since surgery.
HW - 412

SW - 362

CW - 334

I have hit a stall. No loss in a week. I have had a couple of “slips” but nothing I can’t come back from. I unfortunately am not as restricted as I thought I would be. I was able to eat a whole filet of fish sandwich with no problem. Why I ate it is because I am still an emotional eater unfortunately. The good thing is I could only eat the one and now the huge chunk of food I use to.
hopefully as the weather gets better I can be out more but I need to work on my “out of the house” food plans. I got my little cooler I just have to work on the best stuff to put in it. I can’t wait to go back to fishing !!

here is my picture about one year a part. A total of 75 pounds difference

IMG_5191.jpeg

Edited by MLC3409

Had surgery on December 13th. I had the exact same fears. First night after, I had some crusty blood vomit and thought leak, then had all black stools for a few days after and thought upper GI bleeding but it was not, it was from the incubator and breathing tube, then I shoveled snow and had bad sharp stomach pain(Stupid idea, I know but we got 24 inches). Same thing no leakage. Now after getting out of my head and not microanalyzing every feeling or symptom I had, ans focused my time on prepping food, doing a work journal and cardio and I feel amazing. I am 7 weeks post op today and down 70lbs. Follow the program and life gets so much better every week. It sucks in the moment in the first 4 weeks but my 5, 6 and 7 have all brought on improved energy and happiness little by little. Everyone's progress is differant. My goal is 250lbs loss so I have a long ways to go but I am thankful so far for this journey but I have lost a total of 46 inches with 8 off my chest and 7 off my waist. Tomorrow I have my 8 week post op and get to start taking my Vitamins. I pray for you all to continually feel the blessings of this journey. 🙏228854747_Untitleddesign_20240116_112731_0000.thumb.png.2a33bc71d10e4344aa334d1600b27769.pngSome progress photos from pictures taken at an award ceremony on December 1st vs pictures 2 weeks ago. Wince the photo on the right, I have lost another 17. That vest on the left fully zips with wiggle room now. 🙏

102280780_Untitleddesign_20240116_112556_0000.thumb.png.26681c655ada2ba4d9b7eacff621eabb.png 1470202105_Untitleddesign_20240109_204706_0000.thumb.png.c10d661ade249d6ebfd75b4c5d62142d.png

Edited by Jayallday28

@Jayallday28 you look great!! Glad things turned out okay for you. Love the progress!! Excited for you.

@Jayallday28 the difference between those pics in just 2 months is astonishing!

Thank you! It's cliche but we all know It is not easy but it is worth it. Since posting that testimony I have lost another 12 lbs and am now at 82lbs in 7.5 weeks. I workout every morning at 530am and night at 630pm at my boxing club in Iowa. I wanted to share the start of my journey to help tell people that IT IS OKAY TO CHOOSE YOURSELF. In fact, always choose yourself. Proud of everyone who is taking this journey. 🙏

Yesterday is on the right. December 1st is on the left.

Screenshot_20240202_201614_Gallery.thumb.jpg.341f82ff423870f4b4575424376fb264.jpg