Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 2017, Bypass 2023.. I'm actually terrified this time..

I'm flying to Turkey next month to have my revisional surgery from sleeve to Gastric Bypass. However, I'm actually terrified. Like, I'm just so scared. Funnily enough, my heart nor my gut is telling me anything out of the ordinary. It's almost like I want to be scared? With my sleeve, I was so ready to go. Not a fear in my bones. But this time, I'm afraid and reading things on mortality rates and everything. It's just so unlike me as I already know the risks involved.

Perhaps this is happening because it's my first time having surgery abroad, but I think it's also because my labs. My blood work came back lower than they would have liked, and told me to wait until February to have my surgery. My surgeon assured me that if my Iron is still low, they will give me an iron injection prior to the surgery.

Okay, cool! That was until I started googling and read that iron infusions are best 2-3 weeks before surgery and that having it right before surgery will do nothing! So that places me in a place of doubt.

Before anyone asks, I'm having the surgery abroad because it's far too expensive to have it done here, and to have it covered by insurance will take a lifetime and even then, it's not guaranteed since my sleeve was so successful (the words of my surgeon here in my country).

Those of you who had surgery abroad, specifically Turkey, can you lend some reassurance? What about those of you who had lower iron levels prior to surgery? I'm just looking for words of encouragement here.. Even typing this out, I feel kinda silly. Lol. 😅 Maybe that was all I needed; to just let it out.

the only question of yours that I can personally answer is the one about the mortality rates. Mortality rate on gastric bypass is 0.3% (sleeve is a bit lower than that, but I can't remember what it was since I didn't have sleeve). Suffice it to say, you have a 99.7% chance of not dying. Those are excellent odds - better than hip replacement surgeries, and they do those all the time. I read all kinds of crap like that before I had surgery and had to make myself stop. I guess it's good to know what COULD happen, but dying during/after surgery and having other major complications is REALLY rare. I wouldn't worry about it.

15 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

the only question of yours that I can personally answer is the one about the mortality rates. Mortality rate on gastric bypass is 0.3% (sleeve is a bit lower than that, but I can't remember what it was since I didn't have sleeve). Suffice it to say, you have a 99.7% chance of not dying. Those are excellent odds - better than hip replacement surgeries, and they do those all the time. I read all kinds of crap like that before I had surgery and had to make myself stop. I guess it's good to know what COULD happen, but dying during/after surgery and having other major complications is REALLY rare. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you so much for that. Haha!! It actually really helps me to see the percentage. 😅 Now I feel really silly for worrying, but I suppose I'd rather worry than not take it as seriously since it's still a major surgery. 🙈

3 minutes ago, TheRevisionedVagabond said:

Thank you so much for that. Haha!! It actually really helps me to see the percentage. 😅 Now I feel really silly for worrying, but I suppose I'd rather worry than not take it as seriously since it's still a major surgery. 🙈

I think that's pretty common. I always freak out before a major surgery - I think of all the things that could possibly happen. But they've always gone well!

I totally understand. Just got my date for Duodenal Switch, after having sleeve surgery 7 years ago. There’s a different type of nervousness, however, you will be well. Praying for safe travels, a safe surgery, safe recovery🥰

14 hours ago, JohnGraySmiley said:

I totally understand. Just got my date for Duodenal Switch, after having sleeve surgery 7 years ago. There’s a different type of nervousness, however, you will be well. Praying for safe travels, a safe surgery, safe recovery🥰

Oh my goodness... thank you so so much. Really. 🖤 I wish you nothing but the best and beyond for your DS!! If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose that instead of a full on bypass? Also, is a DS the same thing as a mini gastric bypass?

On 01/13/2023 at 13:17, TheRevisionedVagabond said:

Oh my goodness... thank you so so much. Really. 🖤 I wish you nothing but the best and beyond for your DS!! If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose that instead of a full on bypass? Also, is a DS the same thing as a mini gastric bypass?

Hey! No problem. You’re more than welcome. Thanks for your well wishes. 🤗

No question is bad, ask away. That’s why we’re here. Support. 🙏🏾

I chose the DS because the sleeve & DS were once one procedure & in some cases, they still are. I figured there’s more “practice” with this one. 😀

Also, my therapist had the full DS switch procedure done & she randomly shared while I was in therapy one night discussing some of my challenges with weight. She’s done well & hers was several years ago.

Lastly, I trust my surgeon’s statistics. He performed my sleeve. He’s the head of the bariatric program at the healthcare system he works for. He also teaches there, so his advice helped after he shared what I should expect from bypass or switch. I still have a lot of restriction from my sleeve, so he won’t do anything to my stomach this time around.

I’m not sure if this is what some may call a “mini bypass”. Don’t think I’ve heard that term before.

I lost 90 lbs from 2016 - 2017 following my sleeve. He told me to expect to lose 50-60lbs with this surgery. In 2016 I asked him how the sleeve would effect my weight insecurities, & if weight would still be an issue. He was very honest and said, “you’ll always have a goal to lose 10 more lbs.”

On 1/13/2023 at 11:54 PM, JohnGraySmiley said:

Hey! No problem. You’re more than welcome. Thanks for your well wishes. 🤗

No question is bad, ask away. That’s why we’re here. Support. 🙏🏾

I chose the DS because the sleeve & DS were once one procedure & in some cases, they still are. I figured there’s more “practice” with this one. 😀

Also, my therapist had the full DS switch procedure done & she randomly shared while I was in therapy one night discussing some of my challenges with weight. She’s done well & hers was several years ago.

Lastly, I trust my surgeon’s statistics. He performed my sleeve. He’s the head of the bariatric program at the healthcare system he works for. He also teaches there, so his advice helped after he shared what I should expect from bypass or switch. I still have a lot of restriction from my sleeve, so he won’t do anything to my stomach this time around.

I’m not sure if this is what some may call a “mini bypass”. Don’t think I’ve heard that term before.

I lost 90 lbs from 2016 - 2017 following my sleeve. He told me to expect to lose 50-60lbs with this surgery. In 2016 I asked him how the sleeve would effect my weight insecurities, & if weight would still be an issue. He was very honest and said, “you’ll always have a goal to lose 10 more lbs.”

Oh this is very interesting, thank you so much for sharing!! I love what he said here:

“you’ll always have a goal to lose 10 more lbs.”

I find it's very true. Thanks again for sharing a piece of your story! 🖤