Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling & staying on track

Hi All,

I thought I would share my resent adventure in traveling after surgery. Husband and I spent the holiday in Maui. As we all know when flying there is that 3 oz limit on liquids which I was concerned about. How am I going to get my Proteins, Water, pills and Vitamins all in with the total day was spent flying? Here is what I came up with before traveling and it worked for me.

For protien: I found Bariatric Fusion sells the powder in individuals packets. I also packed in my carry on 2 One protien bars. I picked up a yogurt at the airport to mix the powder in it. On lay overs I was able to find a couple places that had healthy food choice, like the Grab and Go.

For water : I took with me a portable water bottle filled it up before got on the planes. I also asked the stewards to fill it up with water and ice while on the plane and it was no problem at all they where happy to do it.

For Pills & Vitamins : I got those weekly pill cases one for morning and one for evening. Filled them up with the prescriptions I need for the week and stuck them in my carry on. This included my Biotin and Probiotics. I take Fiber powder everyday and was able to find Walgreens carries fiber sticks. I got a box of those counted out how many I needed for the trip and put it in a carry on.

I used a back back as my carryon and was able to get everything in there that I need. In Maui there was a lot of fish options which was great for me I love fish. I lot of the time we just split a meal as they where so big and I don't eat alot. :) I also picked up some individual low fat milk to put my protien powder in. This is usually my Breakfast so it was nice to be able to stick to my routine.

I was nervous about traveling and staying on track but once I found out that I could take with me what I needed it was a load off my mind. I was able to really enjoy our vacation.

I hope this is helpful for any of you who are thinking of traveling or getting ready to travel.

Melody

That's really useful, thank you so much for sharing!

Thank you for posting this. I am still waiting for my surgery but we have a trip planned for next Christmas and I was wondering about all the protien shakes on the planes and such. This was very helpful.

If you're looking for accommodations in Baquedano or other areas of Antofagasta, I would recommend using travel and hotel booking websites to check out current guest reviews and find lodging that suits your specific needs and preferences. You can also seek recommendations from friends, family, or acquaintances who have visited the region. Personally, I stayed at Hostal Sierra Gorda. The rooms were lovely and spacious, and I appreciated the quiet and cleanliness of the surroundings. I hope you find wonderful accommodations for your stay in Baquedano!

Edited by Olivia Grant

I just read this post since I'm going to be traveling to Atlanta for a two day trip and started to plan the what/how I'd get my Protein and fluids in while spending 7 hours in the air with a quick 1 hour lay over (not enough time to get to the plane transfer and grab something). I hadn't thought of getting yogurt for my Protein Powder -so thank you!!I did purchase plastic clear "test tubes" that have screw tops for my protein powder (they hold two scoops at 80mL each) and labeled them putting them into a make up carry bag along with my two four separate times per day Vitamin organizers (its decided into 4 different times per day each one).

I have family in the airline business and I'm all to well aware of the Water holding tanks on aircraft that they've warned me about so I refuse to drink "aircraft tap" or coffee on flights, so bottled water for me. I also purchased no sugar/no additives nothing but roasted Peanut Butter in 3oz packets, low fat string cheese and protein bars.. Hopefully this will hold me over and get my protein requirements in. Oh, I'm also bringing a couple of packets of Crystal lite, not a fan of plain water, I tend to get nauseated drinking plain.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? It's going to be a long day, at least 10 hours to finally get checked in at the hotel..so any suggestions help! Thanks.

Edited by BlondePatriotinCDA