Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated for the 1st time since surgery

It's all Thanksgiving's fault. I avoided the mashed potatoes, but I had some gravy made from turkey drippings and stuffing, as well as cheesy peas and 2 Hawaiian sweet rolls, besides the turkey. Not all at once, because I can't eat that much at once. But throughout the day, yep. Definitely didn't eat right. So...today I get back to basics and reset my pouch and my mindset. I didn't workout yesterday, so today is strictly back to my diet and my working out. I've been so good at not cheating and not messing up, but yesterday was too much for me to resist. So, time to get back on track. But MAN it was so yummy lol

you're seven months out now - from about this point and for the rest of your life, you're going to occasionally have days like this. It was a holiday - even skinny people tend to eat more than usual or have special treats on such days. The trick is to get right back to it the next day and don't let it continue on. Sounds like you have a good plan.

I have days like that all the time. Not everyday but every once in a while its nice to eat some stuff you miss. Yesterday i had half a kit kat bar and it was delicious.

I did a 2 1/2 hour workout today, and while my body is sore now, it felt SO GOOD. I did 1/2 hour of weight training, 1 hour on the treadmill with 3 pound ankle weights on, and 1 hour on the bike with the weights on. I also did 30 stomach crunches and 50 sit ups. Very happy with the workout. Definitely making up for yesterday.

As a vet, I'd like to kindly suggest you reframe your thinking. There's no cheating, there are no bad foods. You're still allowed to eat and enjoy food. It's all about balance. You don't need to feel guilty or do an extreme work out to make up for anything. You're going to need to find a sustainable way of eating and relating to food.

Realistically, you likely ate under 1500 calories1514032529_ScreenShot11-25-22at05_25PM.PNG.d52c48b91778cfedb34abb0aced6d3e7.PNG0 calories

I did a 2 1/2 hour workout today, and while my body is sore now, it felt SO GOOD. I did 1/2 hour of weight training, 1 hour on the treadmill with 3 pound ankle weights on, and 1 hour on the bike with the weights on. I also did 30 stomach crunches and 50 sit ups. Very happy with the workout. Definitely making up for yesterday.
I used to do the same thing when I ate something "that I wasn't supposed to", my nutritionist said that punishing myself after deviating from my meal plan is worse than refraining myself from food as this creates an scenario that is ok for me to cheat as long as I work it off, creating a cycle.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I did 1/2 hour of weight training, 1 hour on the treadmill with 3 pound ankle weights on, and 1 hour on the bike with the weights on.

I'll be honest. I cringed when I read this. I become concerned when I see people using ankle weights to do cardo. There are a number of reasons I would recommend avoiding this:

1. They change your gait mechanics, which can make you more prone to injury.
  2. For any impact movements like walking or running, you are increasing the impact on your joints, again making you more likely to injure yourself.
  3. These are not a substitute for weight training. You are mostly moving them along a horizontal plane, so they do very little to actually strengthen your muscles. (It's a bit of an oversimplification, but you'd likely need to move them along a vertical plane for that and you'd need to use a lot more weight.)
  4. While studies on this are a bit inconclusive, some studies suggest that there is very little to no actual benefit when used for cardiovascular exercises like running, walking or biking. The reason is that while it does increase the effort required, it tends to make you move slower to compensate. In other words, you'd burn roughly the same number of calories just by picking up the pace. (And by doing that you wouldn't have the increased injury risk.)

You do you, but I think you'll find most reputable trainers, exercise physiologists and physical therapists would also advise avoiding them.

The other thing that I saw here that concerned me is the risk of overtraining. 2.5 hours of exercise in one day may be too much for you if you're not used to this? Overtraining can also lead to injuries, fatigue and burnout, all of which are the enemies of consistency. The single best thing we all can do to improve our health is ensure we are consistently exercising. Consistent, slow increases in your overall exercise workload are important to long-term health and fitness.

I am so sorry you thought you Cheated. It made me really sad. Please relax a little. Have holidays and enjoy them like the rest of the world.

I probably wouldn't frame it as cheating, just a day when you ate more than usual, and maybe even more than you intended! Maybe that way you can avoid the negative connotations of the word. What matters is that you allow yourself those days occasionally and that most of the time you stick to your eating plan - which you are clearly doing. That's just life! I hope you can feel better about it, having discussed it here. Glad you enjoyed your workout too and I'm sure you weren't punishing yourself for 'overeating' but that's something I think we all need to be careful about in this strange new world post op. I learn things and consider new aspects to the surgery almost every time I read this forum. xxx

having a good relationship with food means having a day where you indulge on rare occasion and getting back on track the next day.. it’s life and meant to be enjoyed, just in reasonable ways :)

I did a year of Noom the year before surgery. Lost 30#, 80% low carb and small portions. 20% was eat the hell you want but small portions. You need to feel satiety. So 2 meals a week it is free game.