Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1.5 week post op…. Scale isn’t moving … and a few other questions

I got my gastric bypass on September 7th 2022, and I’m not really losing weight yet… Is this normal? You would think the weight would be coming off being that I’m only on a full liquid diet, and following it exactly how they advise. Also has anyone else had an issue with elevated pulse? I had tachycardia before my gastric bypass, but was still cleared for surgery, however at the office last week my pulse was 167 which is way higher than it typically is. Also on lovenox injections. Super dizzy whenever I get up to walk around, has anyone else had this issue? I do have an appointment with my cardiologist on the 26th.

Stay off the scale for now. It will drive you nuts. You will hit stalls along your journey. I hit my first stall at 2 weeks post op. I didnt loose weight for about 2 weeks or so. you probably hit yours just a tad early which happens. Keep with the program and the weight will come off. I try to weigh myself every 2 weeks to 1 month. as for the pulse i am not sure there. I had high blood pressure before surgery and after surgery now i have low blood pressure. Where normally i would be in the 130-145 and now i am at 100 or so. (Blood pressure cuff) and my Beats per minute were in the 80-90's and now after surgery its low at around 50-60

32 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

Stay off the scale for now. It will drive you nuts. You will hit stalls along your journey. I hit my first stall at 2 weeks post op. I didnt loose weight for about 2 weeks or so. you probably hit yours just a tad early which happens. Keep with the program and the weight will come off. I try to weigh myself every 2 weeks to 1 month. as for the pulse i am not sure there. I had high blood pressure before surgery and after surgery now i have low blood pressure. Where normally i would be in the 130-145 and now i am at 100 or so. (Blood pressure cuff) and my Beats per minute were in the 80-90's and now after surgery its low at around 50-60

It’s so hard not to get on the scale, it hasn’t been easy the diet and life style change that I just so badly want to see the work put in reflected on the scale.

I'm no help with the elevated pulse, but I hope you find out what's up soon!!

With the weight thing though, I'm feeling those feelings. I was sleeved Sept 6th, I lost 13lbs the first week, which was probably all Water weight, because that first week I was barely getting anything down. I told myself I'd only weigh myself once a week, Tuesdays, but I broke yesterday morning and checked, and I gained a pound. I'm still on the liquid diet so that's wild, but I also figure my body is probably scrambling trying to hold on to what I can give it. I'm also only peeing like 3 times a day, which seems like so little considering how much liquid is going into me, and since that pee is light colored and not dehydrated, I'm taking it as an indication that my body is holding on to it. Bodies are weird.

16 minutes ago, DT2687 said:

It’s so hard not to get on the scale, it hasn’t been easy the diet and life style change that I just so badly want to see the work put in reflected on the scale.

oh trust me i know. but the scale will drive you insane. at 3 months post op i lost maybe 5lb that was it. That was my 3rd month stall which is common. It will happen again and again.

Just now, liveaboard15 said:

oh trust me i know. but the scale will drive you insane. at 3 months post op i lost maybe 5lb that was it. That was my 3rd month stall which is common. It will happen again and again.

Oh no 😭 I didn’t know that

5 minutes ago, loli_lotus said:

I'm no help with the elevated pulse, but I hope you find out what's up soon!!

With the weight thing though, I'm feeling those feelings. I was sleeved Sept 6th, I lost 13lbs the first week, which was probably all Water weight, because that first week I was barely getting anything down. I told myself I'd only weigh myself once a week, Tuesdays, but I broke yesterday morning and checked, and I gained a pound. I'm still on the liquid diet so that's wild, but I also figure my body is probably scrambling trying to hold on to what I can give it. I'm also only peeing like 3 times a day, which seems like so little considering how much liquid is going into me, and since that pee is light colored and not dehydrated, I'm taking it as an indication that my body is holding on to it. Bodies are weird.

They definitely are weird!! It’s so frustrating because I lost more weight on my 2 week liquid diet than I have since surgery… My surgeon says GB supposedly loses more weight, so I was expecting something by now. I am still swollen, so that may not help either. I just have this fear like omg did I do this for nothing 😳

Stalls suck, and they are normal, and they will happen a lot. I've had 3 so far. Each time, I gain 2-3 pounds and the stall seems to last a week longer each time. I just got out of my 3rd and I immediately lost 5 pounds. Now the scale is creeping along, which I've found is normal for my body right out of a stall. It'll pick up again. Just make sure you're getting in your fluids and Protein. Stick to the plan exactly, and look for the non scale victories. Mine are: I can fit in a booth now with room to spare between my stomach and the table, I dropped a full clothing size and ring size, and now the ones I'm in are starting to get big, my double chin is gone. When you aren't seeing the scale do what you want, look for other things to confirm for you the surgery is doing its job.

3 hours ago, DT2687 said:

They definitely are weird!! It’s so frustrating because I lost more weight on my 2 week liquid diet than I have since surgery… My surgeon says GB supposedly loses more weight, so I was expecting something by now. I am still swollen, so that may not help either. I just have this fear like omg did I do this for nothing 😳

if you're swollen, that likely means you're retaining Water. Might explain the weight issue.

like others have said, it could also be the infamous "three-week stall" (that most of us experience) a little early - or you could still have some of the IV fluids in you that were given to you in the hospital. Some people leave the hospital up to 10 lbs heavier than when they went in!

I've learned to do once a week but sometimes I'm up 1-2#, then the next week down #5. You have to trust the surgery works and look at how your clothing feels, face shows it first. I'm in a stall and realized my thighs don't touch.