Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I take my sleep study on January 8th. I hope I can go to sleep!;)

I slept like a baby the first night of my sleep study. I go back for the 2nd visit on Jan. 3rd, hope I do as well. Not sure how excited I am to be getting that mask though. Good luck!!

I have sleep apnea and I had the surgery on 12-17-2007. First, yes it sounds like you have sleep apnea. I would get your doctor to get you to a sleep lab. I don't know if your lap band surgeon will put your surgery off until you have been dx and have treatment but it will not because you could stop breathing during surgery. Your anesthesiologist will keep you breathing. Sleep apnea is no danger during the procedure.

But sleep apnea is dangerous. One, it makes you much more likely to have a stroke, it can increase your blood pressure and your feel horrible. I fell asleep at a stop light once prior to treatment. Do not wait to get treatment. I used the C PAC ( breathing machine) and now I use an appliance that my dentist made. Both are expensive but your insurance will probably cover once the dx is made. I would doubt your lap band surgeon would handle this but I could be wrong.

Hope this info helps!

Lindasitton,

Does the dental appliance work, I have the mask and I can't stand it, I pull it off every night and it is so uncomfortable.

Anniemay

Intially it worked great. However, when I gained weight it does not work as well. I have to sleep on a couch that lets me sleep half-way sitting up. I have lost 20 lbs since the lap band and it is getting better. I think in about 20 more lbs it will be effective again. It is not for everyone.

Some people can not tolerate it. It has a top piece that hooks to the bottom piece and you screw the top piece out so that your jaw is extended. They say it doesn't change your bite but I don't think that is true for me. It hasn't been a major change but it is there. I think that when I lose enough weight the apnea will go away completely. Good LUck

Linda

Yes, go to the doctor and tell him. I had the same symptoms, yawning all day, actually fell asleep while driving and went through a red light (that was the breaking point)! I have sleep apnea. I saw a sleep disorder doctor and they tested me and I was put on the CPAP machine immediately. That was 5 months ago and I can't tell you how much better you will feel. It is important the day of your surgery to tell the antistologist (the person that puts you to sleep) that you have this symptom They have to closely mointor you during your surgery. It is IMPORTANT! Tell your doctor and get in ASAP.

Well I take my sleep study on January 8th. I hope I can go to sleep!:)

I have problems sleeping even under the best of circumstances, so I was very concerned that I wouldn't be able to sleep during the sleep study.

I called the place that does the sleep study and asked if I was allowed to take a sleeping pill. They said that over the counter sleeping pills would interfere with the sleep study, but I could take Lunesta if my doctor prescribed it. I called my PCP and he called in a RX for Lunesta.

It worked, and the sleep study went well.

Serious stuff sleep apnea! I suffered with it for years. I was banded in 05, and have gone from a starting weight of 430, and a BMI of 56 to my three times adjusted goal of 195, and a BMI of 21.

The apnea is gone, dissappeared after about the hundred pound loss mark, and I feel like I am 18 again. Life is good!

I have problems sleeping even under the best of circumstances, so I was very concerned that I wouldn't be able to sleep during the sleep study.

I called the place that does the sleep study and asked if I was allowed to take a sleeping pill. They said that over the counter sleeping pills would interfere with the sleep study, but I could take Lunesta if my doctor prescribed it. I called my PCP and he called in a RX for Lunesta.

It worked, and the sleep study went well.

Thanks for the tip!

So my doctor called with my sleep results. I have severe obstruction apnea. I stopped breathing 353 times that's about 52 times an hour. That's very scary! So next Monday I have to go back and do the study with the CPAP machine. sad_smile.gif