Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is where the "surgery as a tool" mindset comes into play. At some point, you will feel restriction, even if you don't now, but it's important not to rely on it too much to do the work. Personally, I have been working on eating to the point that I have had enough, but do not trigger the restrictive feeling. For me, restriction is quite unpleasant, so instead, I'm trying to focus on the hints my body is giving me that I am getting close without getting to the "oh crap I ate too much feeling." It is hard, and it sometimes is literally a forkful of food that can send you right over the edge and into discomfort. I've gotten good at spitting food out, if I need to do so.

For foods that don't trigger restriction (or don't seem to) I am careful about only allowing myself a serving or partial serving. One of my favorite Snacks is hummus and pretzel sticks. Don't ask me why, I hated pretzels before surgery, but it satisfies a need for a crunchy texture, and it is better than Cheetos. 🙂 But, I could easily overindulge so I start with some cheese sticks, since it is Protein and I know will fill me. Then, I portion out exactly how many sticks I can have. And then I make myself stop at that maximum or below. I do similar with other "forgiving" foods.

If chicken isn't affecting your restriction, you'll have to focus on Portion Control to get the same result. But, I also suspect that as you heal, your restriction levels will change, even with foods that previously didn't affect it much.

5 hours ago, Splenda said:

You are going to find that your restriction does not kick in equally on all foods. Saltines seem to go right through me and rarely restrict, but I feel it much more with veggies. This part of you learning how to live with your new stomach.

You are going to have more "oh, this is how it will be" moments as you recover and progress. When you have foods that don't seem to have restrictions, you learn how to eat carefully. One thing to do is pair those foods with foods that do bring about restriction, like dipping a piece of chicken into a bit of hummus (to use your example). Or knowing that you are probably full after two chicken drumsticks. Or making sure you have a healthy "filling" side dish on nights when you eat chicken. This doesn't mean the surgery failed, just that you are learning and adjusting.

Exactly this. How your body reacts to certain foods, or portion sizes, or times you eat, etc. are all idiosyncratic to you. I had this exact conversation with my surgeon’s colleague this morning at my check up. It’s not something you’ll discover quickly. I’m still learning my body’s personality quirks. It seems to throw new ones at me randomly but my eating is constantly evolving. I understand how to best manage the ones I know. Like I know I’ll feel a bit ‘off’ if I rush through my Breakfast or have it too early. If I have yoghurt for lunch I’ll want something salty after (don’t know why yet but I know it happens).

In time you’ll learn your body’s signs & cues & recognise what they mean - some may be very subtle. You’ll also discover some signals will be different to what they were before surgery or not what you expected.

5 hours ago, Splenda said:

You are going to find that your restriction does not kick in equally on all foods. Saltines seem to go right through me and rarely restrict, but I feel it much more with veggies. This part of you learning how to live with your new stomach.

You are going to have more "oh, this is how it will be" moments as you recover and progress. When you have foods that don't seem to have restrictions, you learn how to eat carefully. One thing to do is pair those foods with foods that do bring about restriction, like dipping a piece of chicken into a bit of hummus (to use your example). Or knowing that you are probably full after two chicken drumsticks. Or making sure you have a healthy "filling" side dish on nights when you eat chicken. This doesn't mean the surgery failed, just that you are learning and adjusting.

Exactly this. How your body reacts to certain foods, or portion sizes, or times you eat, etc. are all idiosyncratic to you. I had this exact conversation with my surgeon’s colleague this morning at my check up. It’s not something you’ll discover quickly. I’m still learning my body’s personality quirks. It seems to throw new ones at me randomly but my eating is constantly evolving. I understand how to best manage the ones I know. Like I know I’ll feel a bit ‘off’ if I rush through my breakfast or have it too early. If I have yoghurt for lunch I’ll want something salty after (don’t know why yet but I know it happens).

In time you’ll learn your body’s signs & cues & recognise what they mean - some may be very subtle. You’ll also discover some signals will be different to what they were before surgery or aren't what you expected.

Edited by Arabesque

Sorry double posted.

Edited by Arabesque

I’d also pay attention to when you are eating and why. I think your first post said 1 hour after a mushy meal you had the 2 chicken things? My surgeons office/dietician would have my head if I was eating again that fast.

I just wonder if some of the hunger you feel is actually “head hunger.” There’s lots of posts on here that reference that as well that could be helpful.

You're doing great and this is something that will happen along the way. I wonder if the "hunger" could actually be solved with a few sips of Water or tea and re-centering yourself? And the restriction will kick in over time, it just might vary from person to person. You've totally got this.

I am so feeling you. 18 days out. I am worried this isn’t gonna work for me. I think my head is still in my addiction trying to get me to give up again. Believe in the process. I truly am trying to live one day at a time. Lol. I didn’t realize how much i relied on food for my entertainment, happiness and mood. My brain is freaking out. What did you do?! We need to eat!!

So I just had my first solid food. I had chicken. Not the canned stuff, but chicken legs. I had 2 of them. They were amazing. But I'm only 19 days post op and I had NO restriction, NO fullness, NO discomfort, nothing. WHY am I able to eat this much already? And I thought once solid food was introduced, that's where restriction would come into play. So what's going on with me? Did my doctor leave too much stomach? WHERE IS MY RESTRICTION???
After eating my normal mushy lunch, it was about an hour later that I had the 2 chicken legs. And now I feel comfortable, but not full. Why do I still have so much hunger? And why am I able to eat so much? I keep trying not to, but I get so hungry!!! Not for anything specific, but actually hungry. Eating 5x a day was too much, but lowering it keeps me hungry all day. And it's hard to ignore the hunger. It's not stomach acid (I never had reflux or gerd before but I'm on Prilosec through my 1st 6 weeks anyway).
So now I'm in tears because I went through all of that pain and discomfort, and it feels like it was all for nothing. I'm really trying to stick to eating small amounts. And yes, in the past I could eat 6 or 7 chicken legs in one sitting. So I'm happy it's less. But at the same time, I wonder if I could have eaten more tonight if I let myself. I don't want to find out, and I'm not going to. But I'm beside myself right now.
Starting tomorrow I'm going to try and do a full reset and see if I can't figure this out. I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day twice a day. But I'm going to try to go back to basics, if I can. I've been able to progress through the diet stages faster than anyone thought I could, and my stomach has been completely fine. I'm so upset. I really am. This is the first time I've eaten more than I should, and I honestly didn't think I would be able to. I won't be doing it again, but I'm so mad that I could at all!!!!!

I started out that way as well but for some reason I am finding I am able to eat less as time goes on. It's weird I know. I think you should give it time and stay the course. Target smaller meals and make a schedule for yourself. Good luck and stay the course

Sent from my SM-S901U using BariatricPal mobile app

05/22/2022 08:41 PM, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I didn't have to take my time. I ate normally because I actually forgot to go slow. And being that I'm only 19 days out, I didn't think I would be able to eat this much this soon with absolutely no issues at all.

You should take your time it takes 20 mins for our brain to register we are full the faster you eat the more food you intake. My surgeon and dietitian told me to chew 20 times. I had my surgery December 22, 2021 and I could not eat that much now. Also you are eating to soon after a meal - grazing is a habit we form which is part of why we led to obesity. I really only eat fish as my meat still and my Husband took me out to dinner I got grilled chicken One breast lasted me 3 meals - just last Sunday. I am down 52 pounds today!! (i only had 70 total as per my surgeon my goal was 80-100) I would try to find a local support group - call your surgeons office see if they can help you. But you keep eating that often you can and will stretch your stomach back out. And you shouldnt feel hunger - I still dont - so it may be your mouth and or brain is hungry out of ha it and boredom. I get up and do dishes or laundry clean the tub whatever until it passes. I have a certain time window for my meals - no i. Between snacking. If I really feel I need something I do it with a Protein Shake. 310 Nutrition has amazing shakes - make them with almond milk. I have all kinds of flavors, Peppermint, chocolate, Smores, vanilla Cake Batter - check them out because those keep me happy if i want something sweet i can drink something that is healthy that taste like a treat! Keep a food journal online or hand written - I do both. If you’re grazing you will be y at the amount of food and calories your eating in a day! Good luck!

You are still Early out so it is far more likely you just didn’t feel restriction because of cut nerves BUT, Some of us do have larger pouches. I have been able to eat more than most people at my given stage throughout the process. I have had to measure my food and learn to stop there. I wait a few minutes and realize that I do feel satisfied. It’s a different feeling than that full to the brim we are used to looking for but you get used to it.

Another thing I noticed and not just you lots of people are saying oh it took me an hour to eat my meal, my dietician and surgeon and lots of other literature say stop eaten after 20 minutes and throw what you haven't eat in that time away or put it in the fridge for your next meal. The longer you take to eat something the more calories you are getting in. Another thing is you are not meant to eat until the point you feel restriction, it took a long time for me to feel restriction because I was eating the recommended amounts now at almost a year out yes I can eat alot before restriction kicks in and with "slidder" foods I get no restriction so don't rely on restriction to limit your food intake because it won't work long term. The idea of the sleeve is to stop you feeling really hungry and to feel not hungry sooner. Slow your eating down, stop after 20 minutes, eat the recommended foods and portion sizes, separate drinking and eating, make sure you keep hydrated and you will succeed.

"I didn't have to take my time. I ate normally because I actually forgot to go slow. And being that I'm only 19 days out, I didn't think I would be able to eat this much this soon with absolutely no issues at all."

Just because you can does mean you should,

Edited by SleeverSk