Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have 9 days left till surgery, i have to quit smoking atleast 2 weeks. But it so hard. 🥺 i vape like once a day since I start pre op. And now im scared. Pls dont judge me. Can anyone advice how did you stop on vaping, and if I will still be ok with my gastric sleeve if i stop vaping now. Pls be kind :(

Shame on anyone that would judge you! That would be like someone coming in here shaming everyone for wanting or getting surgery due to eating habits.

Since you vape, have you thought about getting juice without nicotine?

Also, keep your mind and hands busy. Read a book, play a video game, do gardening... whatever keeps you busy. When you get that craving, drink a glass of Water or go for a walk. Shift your thinking.

I've been a smoker for years. I quit for my surgery and it was so hard.

Good luck!

I used the generic patch to stop smoking 17 years ago. I had been losing weight (diet and exercise) at the time - I lost 180lbs. while simultaneously quitting smoking. I couldn’t breathe to work out like I was at the time.
You can do it!! Good luck!

I dont smoke or vape but the hospitals paperwork for the surgery said obviously to stop that if stopping was too difficult to get the patch or gum or go see the surgeon for some prescription stuff. idk what that is tho.

I was a long term smoker, I continuously stopped and started smoking so many times. I only managed it in the end by being in a hospital bed for 11 weeks. I never had chance to smoke. I figured that the nicotine was now out of my system. That was 12 years ago and I have never wanted to smoke again. I would never have stopped otherwise.

My point is you will not get any judging from me. BUT - You need to stop now if you want this surgery. I believe some hospitals will not do the surgery if they detect it. You need to be as fit as you can for any surgery, Life is very unfair, just when you need it most your go to helpers are taken away from you. It will be a battle of wills for you. I hope you win. Good luck

It probably won’t help you before your surgery but the way I quit smoking cigarettes was to vape and then I weaned myself down to zero on the nicotine by mixing the nicotine pane with more and more zero nicotine until I was just vaping to vape but no longer addicted to nicotine. Then it was easier to quit just the habit without the addiction.

I vaped zero nicotine ejuice starting 10 days before surgery.

To Op did you get your surgery? Did you stop before? If not, did you have any complications? I am going through the same thing with smoking that you were and I came across your post.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:58 PM, Tomo said:

I vaped zero nicotine ejuice starting 10 days before surgery.

Did you have any complications from your surgery or post op? I'm wondering if the juice itself will cause any issues with my lungs while under anesthesia. When I googled about affects on your lungs during anesthesia I got a little concerned that I couldn't even vape 0 nicotine.

Did you have any complications from your surgery or post op? I'm wondering if the juice itself will cause any issues with my lungs while under anesthesia. When I googled about affects on your lungs during anesthesia I got a little concerned that I couldn't even vape 0 nicotine.
No, not at all. It's anecdotal though since I can only speak for myself. I have had 3 major surgeries, and never had a problem. Just make sure to be nicotine free on your surgery day.

56 minutes ago, Tomo said:

No, not at all. It's anecdotal though since I can only speak for myself. I have had 3 major surgeries, and never had a problem. Just make sure to be nicotine free on your surgery day.

Thank you so much for your fast response and input.

I have 9 days left till surgery, i have to quit smoking atleast 2 weeks. But it so hard. [emoji3064] i vape like once a day since I start pre op. And now im scared. Pls dont judge me. Can anyone advice how did you stop on vaping, and if I will still be ok with my gastric sleeve if i stop vaping now. Pls be kind :(
I had to quit sowing too, it's hard, and idk about your doc but mine said if my nicotine level was above a certain amount she would cancel the surgery.... I went on Amazon looking for non nicotine cigarettes, and found southern tipps red, they are tobacco and nicotine free, so I don't get the nicotine but I get the hand to mouth habit I crave..... another thing might be getting a vape juice, or pen with no nicotine or even cbd [emoji848] 20220914_133724.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app