Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

Has anyone gone through preop testing yet? I had an appointment today for blood work, EKG, & chest X-ray. From what I can tell, everything came back normal. I’ll follow up with surgeon on 7/21 to discuss the test. (Surgery date is 8/9 )

3 hours ago, SHORTY_ said:

August 2nd surgery buddy here! Have you seen what your "liquid diet" consists of from your team yet? I've talked with a few others on here and noticed mine is a little more forgiving. I decided to do a test run this week and I'm 3 days in. I honestly feel good. I actually find it hard to get everything in with all the liquids. I occasionally feel pretty tired but then not long after I get a burst of energy and take advantage of it when I can.

Yes, with my BMI level and plan, I only have to do the 2 weeks pre-op diet and it consists of consuming 5 to 6 Protein Drinks per day. Each shake must fall within this range: 15 grams Protein minimum, 5-15 grams carbohydrates, and to a max of 200 calories. 6 to 8 cups of Water. I personally drink over 100 ounces of water a day so this is super easy for me. I am allowed an unlimited amount of SF Jello, SF popsicles (not no sugar added), broth ( broth, bouillon, strained) and those can count towards my water intake. I have been testing several different shake recipes and am prepared to go onto the test liquid diet for one week. I wanted to lose 30 pounds before my surgery and I have "released" (trying not to use the lost because then my mind wants to find it) - so I have released 16 pounds so far. I'm hoping this will jump-start moving those last pounds prior. I will post here and tell you how the test is going :)

49 minutes ago, RaisnHL said:

Has anyone gone through preop testing yet? I had an appointment today for blood work, EKG, & chest X-ray. From what I can tell, everything came back normal. I’ll follow up with surgeon on 7/21 to discuss the test. (Surgery date is 8/9 )

Congrats! And welcome to August Buddies :) Yes, I had to go through all of that plus the 3 hour long pysch eval. I even had to do an EGD upper scope to make sure I didn't have any hernia issues. It was a lot of hoops to jump through, but it sure made me feel that my body was ready and healthy enough for the surgery.

On 7/3/2022 at 7:50 AM, heartofmercury said:

I'm curious what people having surgery in August are doing right now to prepare. It doesn't seem real yet so I've only started thinking about what I need to do or buy in preparation. I did finally order a reclining chaise that was on clearance at a local furniture store to sleep in for the first week or so.

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Gosh - I think I've spent waaaay to many hours trying to figure out what Vitamins and supplements I want to take. I really want to eat clean foods while healing and so many products on the market actually have a lot of inflammatory ingredients. So I think I have finally found the list of what I want to take and feel really good about what I'm consuming not only to heal, but to help modify my eating habits later. :)

On 7/2/2022 at 9:12 AM, twinks80 said:

Hi! I’m scheduled for VSG/sleeve on August 8th, it’s getting close!

Congrats! You are almost 30 days out :D I try not to look at my count down timer and every time I see if, I get butterflies I'm so excited!

On 7/2/2022 at 12:21 PM, Doodles603 said:

Hi! I’m scheduled for August 15th!

Congrats! And welcome to August Buddies :) Is there anything in particular you are doing to help prepare yourself for the surgery?

1 hour ago, karakent said:

Hi! I’m having surgery on 8/22/22

Congrats! And Welcome to the August Buddies group! I go on the 18th. Yes, I am very blessed that I get to work from home. But I also have stairs in my home. I'm a little worried about stairs, but it will be good for me.

On 7/2/2022 at 12:21 PM, Doodles603 said:

Hi! I’m scheduled for August 15th!

Congrats! And welcome to the August buddies group! What are you doing to help prepare yourself before the surgery? :D

Congrats! And Welcome to the August Buddies group! I go on the 18th. Yes, I am very blessed that I get to work from home. But I also have stairs in my home. I'm a little worried about stairs, but it will be good for me.
I have stairs in my home too. I spoke with a few nurses and they said that I shouldn't have any problems but leaving the possibility I might be camping out on the couch for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, with my BMI level and plan, I only have to do the 2 weeks pre-op diet and it consists of consuming 5 to 6 Protein drinks per day. Each shake must fall within this range: 15 grams protein minimum, 5-15 grams carbohydrates, and to a max of 200 calories. 6 to 8 cups of Water. I personally drink over 100 ounces of water a day so this is super easy for me. I am allowed an unlimited amount of SF Jello, SF popsicles (not no sugar added), broth ( broth, bouillon, strained) and those can count towards my water intake. I have been testing several different shake recipes and am prepared to go onto the test liquid diet for one week. I wanted to lose 30 pounds before my surgery and I have "released" (trying not to use the lost because then my mind wants to find it) - so I have released 16 pounds so far. I'm hoping this will jump-start moving those last pounds prior. I will post here and tell you how the test is going [emoji4]
I like the idea of "releasing" the pounds. I'm going to use that mentality.

I’m nervous, but I wish it was sooner rather than later. I’m an educator and I was only able to get it scheduled 1 week before I have to go back to work! So I’ll only have 1 week off. Is anyone here worried about going back to work? Or are you guys blessed with staying home?
I've been reading everything I can about recovery. I have to go back to work after one week off also. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a quick recovery and an easy week back at work.

On 07/06/2022 at 21:07, SHORTY_ said:

I have stairs in my home too. I spoke with a few nurses and they said that I shouldn't have any problems but leaving the possibility I might be camping out on the couch for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was wondering about this. I have stairs too.

07/07/2022 12:56 AM, I Am Enough! said:

Congrats! And welcome to August Buddies :) Is there anything in particular you are doing to help prepare yourself for the surgery?

Hi, I am absolutely doing stuff!! Probably too much! I am keeping my calories at 1400 a day, working out, I just finished a 12 week Bariatric Lifestyle Coach (BariTale Coaching) and just signed up with Bariatric Nutritionist for a 12 week “how to eat successfully after surgery” program (Bariatric food Prep).

I bought some new pajamas for the hospital, some glass baby food jars and some tiny fancy espresso cutlery this week. 😂

I’ve lost over 30 lbs already (with help from Lomaira Rx) and was given the “easier” pre-op diet which seems super easy and manageable. Not a liquid diet.

I got the time off finally in and approved today at work.

Just going to rinse and repeat until surgery day!!!

image-0.0050067901611328125.jpg

11 minutes ago, heartofmercury said:

I've been reading everything I can about recovery. I have to go back to work after one week off also. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a quick recovery and an easy week back at work.

I also only have 1 week off, I’m hoping I can do some days working from home.

Who will be outpatient? I am and I’m nervous about it.

I also only have 1 week off, I’m hoping I can do some days working from home.

Who will be outpatient? I am and I’m nervous about it.
I'm not outpatient. I will have one night at the hospital. I think outpatient might have its advantages though. My husband will have to split his time between the hospital and being home with our teenage boys.