Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any FRUM sleevers? How do you do shiurim at the sedarim? (Jewish orthodox)

Didnt you ask this before.

I saw that post didnt get any responses either. probably not many or any that follow your specific religion. May i suggest finding a Jewish group on Facebook and asking if anyone got bariatric surgery if no one answers here. I am sure there are groups on there with thousands of people and hopefully someone else has gotten bariatric surgery.

(I am not Jewish, but have Jewish family and have been immersed in Passover for decades.)

It would depend how far out from surgery you are and how strict your particular observance is.

If you follow a rabbi who insists on five kezeitim during seder, you might have a lot of trouble fitting it in. But Halachic observance does take second place to medical reality, which is why the very sick (or those who would become very sick) are not allowed to do ta'anit on Yom Kippur or Tisha b'Av.

At six months out, I would be able to eat five kezeitim, but not much else. I am not sure I would be able to eat an entire Hillel sandwich, for example, not with maror and karpas and extra charoset and all the rest of it. If I drank arba kosot, I'd be drunk off my tuchus.

But if you are willing to abide by the Halachic spirit if not the strict letter of the law, you could use a thimble-sized glass for the arba kosot, you could eat a small Hillel sandwich and a total of two kezeitim during Seder and have room for bites of other things depending on your tradition (Ashkenazim would have things like beitzah and gefilte fish).

You should have a serious discussion with your rabbi about it, because your interpretation and mine are probably quite different, and it's your observance, not mine.

Explanation for those who are scratching their heads at the random Hebrew sprinkled in these posts:

The OP wants to know how a religiously observant (frum) Jewish person who had had a sleeve surgery would manage to do the required eating of the unleavened bread (matzah) during the Passover seder. Some rabbis say that Jewish law (Halacha) requires that every person eat five pieces of matzah during Seder, each one being about 26 square cm or 4 square inches (kezeit). Some require two kezeitim. Some have different requirements depending on what the matzah is made out (you have to eat more if it's made from oats and wheat, less if it's all wheat). And some don't have any minimum amount required. There are also other things required—dipping herbs into salty Water (karpas), eating bitter herbs (maror, usually horseradish), making a sandwich out of matzah and fruit compote (charoset, called a Hillel sandwich), eggs (beitzah), etc., and you must drink four cups of wine (arba kosot), though they can be very small. Ta'anit means fasting, which happens twice a year for Jewish people, on Yom Kippur and Tisha b'Av holidays.

Edited by vikingbeast

I love to learn of other religions, thank you Viking Beast, That was so interesting.

On 04/01/2022 at 12:18, vikingbeast said:

(I am not Jewish, but have Jewish family and have been immersed in Passover for decades.)

It would depend how far out from surgery you are and how strict your particular observance is.

If you follow a rabbi who insists on five kezeitim during seder, you might have a lot of trouble fitting it in. But Halachic observance does take second place to medical reality, which is why the very sick (or those who would become very sick) are not allowed to do ta'anit on Yom Kippur or Tisha b'Av.

At six months out, I would be able to eat five kezeitim, but not much else. I am not sure I would be able to eat an entire Hillel sandwich, for example, not with maror and karpas and extra charoset and all the rest of it. If I drank arba kosot, I'd be drunk off my tuchus.

But if you are willing to abide by the Halachic spirit if not the strict letter of the law, you could use a thimble-sized glass for the arba kosot, you could eat a small Hillel sandwich and a total of two kezeitim during Seder and have room for bites of other things depending on your tradition (Ashkenazim would have things like beitzah and gefilte fish).

You should have a serious discussion with your rabbi about it, because your interpretation and mine are probably quite different, and it's your observance, not mine.

Explanation for those who are scratching their heads at the random Hebrew sprinkled in these posts:

The OP wants to know how a religiously observant (frum) Jewish person who had had a sleeve surgery would manage to do the required eating of the unleavened bread (matzah) during the Passover seder. Some rabbis say that Jewish law (Halacha) requires that every person eat five pieces of matzah during Seder, each one being about 26 square cm or 4 square inches (kezeit). Some require two kezeitim. Some have different requirements depending on what the matzah is made out (you have to eat more if it's made from oats and wheat, less if it's all wheat). And some don't have any minimum amount required. There are also other things required—dipping herbs into salty Water (karpas), eating bitter herbs (maror, usually horseradish), making a sandwich out of matzah and fruit compote (charoset, called a Hillel sandwich), eggs (beitzah), etc., and you must drink four cups of wine (arba kosot), though they can be very small. Ta'anit means fasting, which happens twice a year for Jewish people, on Yom Kippur and Tisha b'Av holidays.

For someone who isn’t Jewish, you sure know a lot! I’m an orthodox jew and there are thousands of us although not sure how many on this site. I’m nervous about this too with passover coming up. I’ll be speaking to my rabbi for guidance. A lot depends of course on how far out you are. At seven months out there’s no way I’d be able to eat all the amounts