Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanted to see what your program says about raw vegetables, bread and alcohol

Just now, GreenTealael said:

Ok

LOL, cool. Carry on.

I'm 20 months out and I haven't had alcohol since my surgery. I didn't drink much before my surgery, either. I've always been a lightweight with alcohol (ironic, when I was 340 pounds), and I've read that alcohol has a stronger effect on bariatric patients, so I'm afraid to try even a single glass of wine now.

I don't remember how long after my surgery I waited to eat salad, but I eat salad and raw veggies all the time now. A big plate of carrots, celery, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and peppers is my main snack every day. I think salad is a slider food for me because I can eat a rather large salad, no problem (I love Skinny Girl and Walden Farms dressings because I can be generous without adding a lot of calories).

I don't eat bread; I've heard that a lot of bariatric patients have problems digesting it. I've tried a bite or two without issue, but I don't feel like it's worth pushing my luck.

I am 4.5 months post sleeve and I eat salad all the time. Have done for several weeks without a problem. I have also drunk alcohol from about 6 weeks post op, again no issue with that other than that I need to count calories very carefully at the weekend when I imbibe. I live in Ireland and it's really hard to do anything social without having alcohol so I needed to incorporate that into my diet pretty early. I understand that lots of people won't want or need to. Horses for courses!

3 hours ago, fourmonthspreop said:

My program doesn't allow raw vegetables (no salads) until 5 months post op, no bread products for 6 months (but other carbs are okay), and no alcohol for a year.

Curious to learn

A)when did you start eating/drinking these things post op and how did you handle it?

B)what advice your program gave you about them?

C) experience with your first salad?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

So my team green-lit everything at 1 month, including raw veggies, bread and alcohol.

Had first raw veggies/salad around 2-3 months cuz until then, there was no room after getting my Protein in. Went pretty uneventfully when i did.

Bread I didn’t have (by choice) until well after weight loss phase and discovered harder, dryer bread went down much easier and in larger volumes than soft fluffy bread. Still the same now at 3.5 yes post. I do have bread on occasion these days.

Regarding alcohol, i had like 2-3 sips of red wine at 3 weeks post. It burned a little and I swear i felt it travelling through my intestines. Next try was at around 2-3 months post with a soju/sake drink and i had one of my worst dumping experience ever. In all i must have had maybe 5 partial drinks in total during weight loss phase, and i got pretty tipsy/drunk each time (though I sobered up surprisingly quickly)

Now though, I’m basically an alcoholic (at least according to the North American measure of it. Apparently women who consume >= 7 drinks per week are alcoholics. Soooo… *raises hand* 🤷🏻‍♀️

And yep, i smoke too (at least right now i am, i’ve been quitting and un-quitting for the last 2 years)

MANDATORY DISCLAIMER: i am in no way advocating what i do for anyone else. You know your own limits and can choose as an autonomous adult whether you choose to stay within these limits or beyond them.

…and…don’t judge me!

Good Luck! ❤️

No bread, Pasta rice & still don’t - they doesn’t sit well. Started cooked vegetables from soft foods so week 5. Raw salad vegetables from about the 2 month mark (I rolled cucumber wedges in smoked salmon & a smear of cream cheese.) I could have fruit from around month 2 too - strawberries & watermelons were my go to. I wasn’t told no alcohol just to reduce &/or avoid for a while. I had a gin & tonic at about two months. Took me hours to drink it & didn’t really enjoy it that much thanks to changing tastebuds. I probably had a couple of drinks over the 6 months until goal. I still don’t drink much or often. Maybe once a month or less & often just a glass & take a while to drink it. It doesn’t interest me like it did before surgery. If I drink now I go for quality over quantity.

I was told the no bread, pasta etc. was because they are empty calories & they swell & fill your tummy restricting your ability to eat the Protein & other nutrients you need. Raw vegetables & fruit skins can be too hard & dry & cause discomfort upon eating to begin. The no alcohol was empty calories & the whole addiction issue (can’t turn to food so turn to alcohol). I saw a video recently where the surgeon said alcoholism or issues with alcohol affect 10% of bariatric patients. 😱.

7 hours ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Yeah, I'll wave to you from the hotel. I own it! :D

Muah! But probably a 50% share now with the bank after 2 years of Covid :(

16 hours ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Do y'all smoke too?

Smoke what?

34 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

I don't smoke or do drugs/weed. I drank once a month pre-op.

Then you can continue to do that. Cheers!

14 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Because you asked that question... I know exactly what you smoke! 🌿 😂

Nothing. I do edibles. I quit cigarettes 6 months ago and if I smoke weed or vape or anything I'll want a cigarette.

1 minute ago, Pollito said:

Nothing. I do edibles. I quit cigarettes 6 months ago and if I smoke weed or vape or anything I'll want a cigarette.

That's awesome! Congrats! 🙂

I had a VSG in September. I was permitted to have raw vegetables at three months, along with carbs. I haven’t had any issues with veggies but it does seem like the few times I’ve had “conventional carbs” like a piece of bread or a little Pasta it hasn’t agreed with me so I avoid them (I make “sandwiches” with low carb or cauliflower tortillas, or on lettuce, when I want something like that.) Alcohol they told me to wait at least six months, preferably a year…I’ve had alcohol twice, and while I havent gotten ill or anything it is a lot of empty calories and I can’t have club soda, tonic Water, diet soda as mixers or something like beer or White Claw because of the bubbles. Be warned; the first time you drink after that long and after losing six months worth of weight, it’s going to hit you much harder. Be careful.