Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanted to see what your program says about raw vegetables, bread and alcohol



Recommended Posts

My program doesn't allow raw vegetables (no salads) until 5 months post op, no bread products for 6 months (but other carbs are okay), and no alcohol for a year.

Curious to learn

A)when did you start eating/drinking these things post op and how did you handle it?

B)what advice your program gave you about them?

C) experience with your first salad?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

A)when did you start eating/drinking these things post op and how did you handle it?

B)what advice your program gave you about them?

C) experience with your first salad?

A) 28 days after surgery. bread wasn't a winner. Crackers were. Protein bread is great. Still bake little rolls with protein Pizza Crust mix. Got absolutely hammered on Day 28 with my best friend. Loved every second of it, hated the hangovers, had the calories saved up for it.

B ) 28 days, go nuts. Just stay within your calories (1400 at the time, from Day 1 until the 6 month mark) and get your protein in. Otherwise the advice is obviously to use the time to learn better eating behaviors, and you get a ton of help and advice and motivation, but they believe in treating adults like adults.

C) It was fine. Still is!

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

raw vegetables - I was told to wait about five months before trying them, too. They can be really hard on your pouch. To be honest, at seven years out, they're still sometimes hard on my pouch (not always, but sometimes). This sounds weird, but sometimes when I'm having a snack attack, I'll start eating raw vegetables because sometimes they irritate my stomach so much that I can't handle eating anything else. Stops an attack dead in its tracks....

alcohol - also told to wait a year. I actually waited about three years. I rarely drink - maybe three or four times a year. It goes right into your blood stream, so you get really buzzed really fast. They have you wait because transfer addiction is a common problem. Some people who've never had a problem with alcohol before surgery develop it afterward - so this is part of the rationale behind them advising you to wait.

I don't think my program ever said anything about bread (although it's been quite awhile), but maybe yours is one that pushes an ultra-low-carb diet, as many of them seem to do. Mine was a balanced diet, so they didn't really care too much about carbs, as long as they were the good kind. Still, I think it was probably a year before I ate bread. I still don't eat it very often because it sometimes sits like a brick in my stomach. Another thing about bread is that it's not terribly nutritious, and the first few months you can only handle a small amount of food - so they want you to focus on super nutritious things.

I think I started eating salads at about five or six months out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, catwoman7 said:

raw vegetables - I was told to wait about five months before trying them, too. They can be really hard on your pouch. To be honest, at seven years out, they're still sometimes hard on my pouch (not always, but sometimes). This sounds weird, but sometimes when I'm having a snack attack, I'll start eating raw vegetables because sometimes they irritate my stomach so much that I can't handle eating anything else. Stops an attack dead in its tracks....

alcohol - also told to wait a year. I actually waited about three years. I rarely drink - maybe three or four times a year. It goes right into your blood stream, so you get really buzzed really fast. They have you wait because transfer addiction is a common problem. Some people who've never had a problem with alcohol before surgery develop it afterward - so this is part of the rationale behind them advising you to wait.

I don't think my program ever said anything about bread (although it's been quite awhile), but maybe yours is one that pushes an ultra-low-carb diet, as many of them seem to do. Mine was a balanced diet, so they didn't really care too much about carbs, as long as they were the good kind. Still, I think it was probably a year before I ate bread. I still don't eat it very often because it sometimes sits like a brick in my stomach. Another thing about bread is that it's not terribly nutritious, and the first few months you can only handle a small amount of food - so they want you to focus on super nutritious things.

I think I started eating salads at about five or six months out.

That's interesting about the raw veggies stopping a snack attack, thanks for the tip!

And yeah my friend has a VSG and has/had an eating disorder that she didn't treat, and went to Mexico for her VSG and now has transfer addiction and drinks daily now. It's so sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

1 minute ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Wait. One year for booze.

Yeah. It's a cultural thing as well. I'd be toast culturally without a glass of wine here and there. It's been fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Yeah. It's a cultural thing as well. I'd be toast culturally without a glass of wine here and there. It's been fine.

I don't drink anymore. You don't wanna see me on booze. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

3 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

I don't drink anymore. You don't wanna see me on booze. 😂

Literally having a glass of chardonnay as we speak (I just came home from a date, this doesn't count as drinking alone). And now is when we're NOT allowed to derail OP's thread :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

6 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Wait. One year for booze.

Omg. In this country people drink alcohol at pretty much every meal and that's it.

My program: after the first month, eat what you want but watch out for steak. There are no dietary restrictions at all: eat healthy, high quality foods. Chew well. Don't drink with or 30 minutes after your meal.

My experience: I still do badly with hard things that cannot be completely chewed like some fruit skins (blueberry, apple). I haven't tried some things like bread because I either I haven't has the chance or don't believe certain foods are compatible with healthy fat loss. I ate a little Pasta and it was fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Literally having a glass of chardonnay as we speak (I just came home from a date, this doesn't count as drinking alone). And now is when we're NOT allowed to derail OP's thread :)

Congrats & :64_zipper_mouth:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Pollito said:

Omg. In this country people drink alcohol at pretty much every meal and that's it.

My program: after the first month, eat what you want but watch out for steak. There are no dietary restrictions at all: eat healthy, high quality foods. Chew well. Don't drink with or 30 minutes after your meal.

My experience: I still do badly with hard things that cannot be completely chewed like some fruit skins (blueberry, apple). I haven't tried some things like bread because I either I haven't has the chance or don't believe certain foods are compatible with healthy fat loss. I ate a little Pasta and it was fine.

I have a few reasons for not drinking. Keto alone put me into near liver failure (due to taking chemo type meds), so yeah booze is a no go for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Dietician, filling in online form at 4 week meeting: so what kind of alcohol have you been drinking

Me: oh well I can't drink beer cause of the gas so I've been trying dry Vermouth. It's quite good.

Dietician: and, frequency?

Me: twice

Dietician: twice a day, ok

Me: no...just twice so far

Dietician: *laughs* *rolls eyes* : OK...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

2 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

I have a few reasons for not drinking. Keto alone put me into near liver failure (due to taking chemo type meds), so yeah booze is a no go for me.

Aye fair enough, but nothing to do with RNY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pollito said:

Dietician, filling in online form at 4 week meeting: so what kind of alcohol have you been drinking

Me: oh well I can't drink beer cause of the gas so I've been trying dry Vermouth. It's quite good.

Dietician: and, frequency?

Me: twice

Dietician: twice a day, ok

Me: no...just twice so far

Dietician: *laughs* *rolls eyes* : OK...

🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Tim in Tampa

      Just started my pre-op diet today!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jenuinelygenuinely

      To working out faithfully for 5 days a week. Lets go back to that year with a more positive mind, 
       
      SKINNY SZN HERE WE COME!!!!
       
      It's Saturday!!! My fiance and I are out doing yard work and I made the mistake of not staying hydrated before going out so now my body is shaking and weak. I have my pre-op appointment Tuesday, the 2nd and I am trying my hardest to lose another 2 lbs by then. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jenuinelygenuinely

      Hi guys!!!
      Here is my big boy Zuko and daddy. My Great Dane/Shepherd. He was our first pup that we rescued from the Humane Society. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SimplySleevedCece

      Looking for new sleeve buddies! I’m 1.5 weeks post op and things seem to be getting a little difficult! I actually WANT food again eghh! Honestly, I feel like you don’t truly understand this process unless you go through it! Don’t be shy, say hello and let’s support each other during this journey 🙂
      · 1 reply
      1. jenuinelygenuinely

        You got this!! When I had the sleeve I cried every day during the liquid phase, It was during the super-bowl! I was sooo hungry I sucked on a piece of pork rind. LOL

    • jenuinelygenuinely

      A daily dose of my youngest fur boy Ozai
       
      My blue eyed Husky/Malamute

      · 2 replies
      1. SHORTY_

        Makes me wanna 'boop' it

      2. SimplySleevedCece

        😍 Aww look at his wittle teeef!

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×