Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

6 hours ago, Mariann812 said:

My bypass was 6/8/22. Here’s a quick update.

I went into surgery at 208 lbs. I had started the liquid pre-op at 222. I came home from surgery on 6/10 at 223… IV FLUIDS from the hospital caused that.

On 6/30, I weighed 192. It was my 3 wk visit with the surgeon. We talked about stalls and not weighing every day.
Today is 8/10, 2 months 2 days post op and I weigh 178. Historically I am a slow loser, so I’m over the moon at how this is going. I’m averaging about 1/2 lb loss a day.
I found meeting my hydration and Protein goals challenging and I had to focus to meet them. It took me a few weeks, possibly 5 weeks even. I made sure I made hydration goals first and then I focused on Protein. I found that large amounts of anything with artificial sweeteners (crystal light, etc) stalled my weight loss. Except for 2 s/f ice pops per day, I steer clear of artificial sweeteners. I stopped drinking Protein Shakes when I made the connection between stalls and artificial sweeteners. I put PRO-T (17 G protein) in a bottle of Water a few times a day to meet my protein goals. I buy it on Amazon and I used it after cosmetic surgery a few years ago with great results. I was slow (intentionally) to progress through food stages by choice. I have not been hungry, I have to remind myself to eat (I’m thrilled), and I eat what I feel like eating if it’s something allowed I go through phases: cucumbers, hummus, Soup, zucchini, pickles, egg salad, tuna, Peanut Butter. A couple of bites and I’m full.

I walk 3 miles a day, 4-5 times a week. I take Vitamins my surgeon has prescribed. I am always drinking Water. I have one cup of coffee a day and have essentially lost my love of it.
UNPLEASANT: I’ve had 3 vomiting episodes. All my fault because I ate too fast. They were basically uneventful and I was immediately fine. One dumping episode. I didn’t realize buttermilk has sugar in it and I made a dressing for zucchini spirals. I never needed pain meds in the hospital post op probably because I was given a 3 day nerve block in the abdomen by the anesthesiologist. I NEVER had a single gas pain.

Ask me any questions: I will try to organize this info and perhaps make it easier to follow. In no particular order, my go-to foods are: ricotta cheese, lettuce with skinny girl dressing, tomatoes, zucchini, chicken-crust pizza (recipe from sugar free Mom-Google it-its TDF), many recipes from Bariatric Kitchen on fb. There are SO many recipes…more than I could ever hope to prepare in my lifetime. LOL My attitude has reverted to what it had been most of my life: eat to live. The emotional eating is an issue I have dealt with personally and I dealt with it by removing myself from the kitchen and drinking a bottle of water. When you are sipping, it takes awhile to drink a bottle of water and that’s a good thing. Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions.

you are doing fabulous!!! I bet you feel great too! i had Gastric Bypass on 6/27 and still struggle with a lot of food not going down well. I do want to try the chicken crust pizza though. I've heard its great!!!! i also have to remind myself to eat. I have been eating the same thing every day and am kind of getting over the items I'm currently eating I'm going to try some tuna for lunch today. i haven't tried cucumbers yet, but that with hummus sounds so good!!! may have to run to the store today haha.

6 hours ago, Mariann812 said:

My bypass was 6/8/22. Here’s a quick update.

I went into surgery at 208 lbs. I had started the liquid pre-op at 222. I came home from surgery on 6/10 at 223… IV FLUIDS from the hospital caused that.

On 6/30, I weighed 192. It was my 3 wk visit with the surgeon. We talked about stalls and not weighing every day.
Today is 8/10, 2 months 2 days post op and I weigh 178. Historically I am a slow loser, so I’m over the moon at how this is going. I’m averaging about 1/2 lb loss a day.
I found meeting my hydration and Protein goals challenging and I had to focus to meet them. It took me a few weeks, possibly 5 weeks even. I made sure I made hydration goals first and then I focused on Protein. I found that large amounts of anything with artificial sweeteners (crystal light, etc) stalled my weight loss. Except for 2 s/f ice pops per day, I steer clear of artificial sweeteners. I stopped drinking Protein Shakes when I made the connection between stalls and artificial sweeteners. I put PRO-T (17 G protein) in a bottle of Water a few times a day to meet my protein goals. I buy it on Amazon and I used it after cosmetic surgery a few years ago with great results. I was slow (intentionally) to progress through food stages by choice. I have not been hungry, I have to remind myself to eat (I’m thrilled), and I eat what I feel like eating if it’s something allowed I go through phases: cucumbers, hummus, Soup, zucchini, pickles, egg salad, tuna, Peanut Butter. A couple of bites and I’m full.

I walk 3 miles a day, 4-5 times a week. I take Vitamins my surgeon has prescribed. I am always drinking Water. I have one cup of coffee a day and have essentially lost my love of it.
UNPLEASANT: I’ve had 3 vomiting episodes. All my fault because I ate too fast. They were basically uneventful and I was immediately fine. One dumping episode. I didn’t realize buttermilk has sugar in it and I made a dressing for zucchini spirals. I never needed pain meds in the hospital post op probably because I was given a 3 day nerve block in the abdomen by the anesthesiologist. I NEVER had a single gas pain.

Ask me any questions: I will try to organize this info and perhaps make it easier to follow. In no particular order, my go-to foods are: ricotta cheese, lettuce with skinny girl dressing, tomatoes, zucchini, chicken-crust pizza (recipe from sugar free Mom-Google it-its TDF), many recipes from Bariatric Kitchen on fb. There are SO many recipes…more than I could ever hope to prepare in my lifetime. LOL My attitude has reverted to what it had been most of my life: eat to live. The emotional eating is an issue I have dealt with personally and I dealt with it by removing myself from the kitchen and drinking a bottle of water. When you are sipping, it takes awhile to drink a bottle of water and that’s a good thing. Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions.

This is awesome! You are my surgery twin! I'm doing well as well...lots of compliments! I want to try Pro-t. Is it Pro-t gold? I haven't tried lettuce as yet, I think I will now. I find that my taste buds have rejected most of the food I used to love and crave. My sweet tooth is gone - which is good.

40 minutes ago, SummerC said:

This is awesome! You are my surgery twin! I'm doing well as well...lots of compliments! I want to try Pro-t. Is it Pro-t gold? I haven't tried lettuce as yet, I think I will now. I find that my taste buds have rejected most of the food I used to love and crave. My sweet tooth is gone - which is good.

I’m so glad you are do I well! Seems like June 8 was a lifetime ago.

yes, Pro-T gold. I’m drinking it now. I find that if I meet Water and Protein goals, I have absolutely no appetite.

congratulations!

1 hour ago, A Curtis said:

you are doing fabulous!!! I bet you feel great too! i had Gastric Bypass on 6/27 and still struggle with a lot of food not going down well. I do want to try the chicken crust pizza though. I've heard its great!!!! i also have to remind myself to eat. I have been eating the same thing every day and am kind of getting over the items I'm currently eating I'm going to try some tuna for lunch today. i haven't tried cucumbers yet, but that with hummus sounds so good!!! may have to run to the store today haha.

I am ALWAYS texting my husband lists of things to stop and get. 🤣

It took me a little while to get somewhat accustomed to real food again. I am approaching it slowly as initially my first few forays into chicken did not go well. The only thing I have really missed, believe it or not, is salads. 🤣🤣🤣Now, 2 lettuce leaves and some s/f dressing, and I’m happy. 🤗 I still am on the cucumber kick! And, dh and I are going to the beach for a couple days, and I’m baking cloud bread to bring along. I figure I can pop it in the toaster at the Breakfast buffet. Friday is my birthday and I just made a s/f cake mix with 12oz of diet sprite. It smells wonderful. My biggest adjustment has been eating very slowly and understanding that after 2 or 3 bites, I’m full.

congratulations! 🎉🎉🎉🎉 and thank you for reading my post!

On 6/20/2022 at 2:40 AM, KellySleeve1 said:

I’m flying to Turkey in a couple of hours and I’m so nervous! 😩

Hi, Kelly. I’m having a gastric sleeve in Turkey & am super nervous. How did your surgery go?

2 minutes ago, KellySleeve1 said:

It went well, I’m 7 week out and 30lb down now. Where are you going ? x

Congratulations! That’s awesome & very reassuring. I’m going with Apera Healthgroup. Which clinic did you go with?

19 hours ago, Mariann812 said:

I am ALWAYS texting my husband lists of things to stop and get. 🤣

It took me a little while to get somewhat accustomed to real food again. I am approaching it slowly as initially my first few forays into chicken did not go well. The only thing I have really missed, believe it or not, is salads. 🤣🤣🤣Now, 2 lettuce leaves and some s/f dressing, and I’m happy. 🤗 I still am on the cucumber kick! And, dh and I are going to the beach for a couple days, and I’m baking cloud bread to bring along. I figure I can pop it in the toaster at the Breakfast buffet. Friday is my birthday and I just made a s/f cake mix with 12oz of diet sprite. It smells wonderful. My biggest adjustment has been eating very slowly and understanding that after 2 or 3 bites, I’m full.

congratulations! 🎉🎉🎉🎉 and thank you for reading my post!

yes chicken and surprisingly cauliflower rice have not been kind to me I ended up with the foamies and throwing up :(. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Have a great trip!!

Just checking in; yesterday was 7 weeks post-op. When I weighed in, I'm down 32.1lbs since surgery and 75.5 pounds since I started my extended pre-op 8 weeks before surgery. It's still a struggle to get all the Protein and fluids in. I get full on about 1.2 ounces of meat; if I push to 1.5ounces, I feel terrible and/or actually get sick.

Non-scale wise, I was able to shop with my teenage daughter for back to school without my back bothering me or needing to stop for a break. I'm keeping up with my 3 year old better as well thought she's a wild child. I've bought a few clothing items and I'm down 3 pant sizes.

3 hours ago, A Curtis said:

yes chicken and surprisingly cauliflower rice have not been kind to me I ended up with the foamies and throwing up :(. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Have a great trip!!

Thank you. I’m a little hesitant to try the cauliflower rice because it gave me awful gas years before surgery. My not doing well with chicken totally mystifies me, but it’s also making me lose my taste for it. It’s a strange yet wonderful journey I guess. 🤷🏻‍♀️