Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What were some of the first solid foods you tried?

What were some of the first solid foods you tried that went down well? I’m 2 weeks post op and beginning at 4 weeks I’ll start solids. I’m just trying to get some ideas! Thanks!

KFC chicken nuggets

I started easy with scrambled eggs, crackers, stuff that wasn't too dense or too tough. I wanted it to slide in. I guess I also had a taco within the first little while after having solid foods, but I still can't do soft tacos because of the tortilla and I have to do hard tacos. My stomach doesn't like soft tortillas to this day or bread.

12 hours ago, LoriM13 said:

What were some of the first solid foods you tried that went down well? I’m 2 weeks post op and beginning at 4 weeks I’ll start solids. I’m just trying to get some ideas! Thanks!

I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op and everything goes down almost too well. I'm on soft foods until 6 weeks out and then I can try everything. Sushi and sashimi went down well even though I could only have 2-3 pieces. I chew and chew everything I eat.

You can’t go wrong with canned tuna, chicken or salmon to start with. Goes down nice with minimal chewing and is loaded with protein!

I went to solids at 4 weeks as well. I was dying for real food after 5 weeks pre op liquid only diet, and 3 weeks of full solids and soft foods. I slow cooked some beef stew all day. It was absolutely divine.

I am hitting 4 weeks Tuesday I saw my Nutritionist this past Thursday she told me to get a rotisserie chicken and cook it in the crock pot with some broth and even vegis she said eat one or two small bites the first time and wait and hour see how I do. She also said I could take lentil or vegi Pasta (I have celiacs can’t eat gluten so that’s what I ate anyway) too it with some ricotta cheese and marinara sauce. Again 1-2 small bites see how I do. I’m so over canned tuna and chicken and Soup I seriously only had Protein Shakes yesterday the thought of eating anything else was just not something I can do. She told me wait for crackers and breads until 3 months out because it can still hurt my tummy. I can eat, of course, baked or grilled fish etc. sweet potatoes and she said I can have a small amount of white mashed if I want but not much not often

Oikos Triple Zero Yogurt or something else with high Protein low sugar. chicken salad. Egg salad. tuna Salad. Refried beans! i never knew those Beans could taste so heavenly.

chicken was my go-to for some weeks as soon as I was allowed proper solids. Chicken with gravy, or cold chicken and a bit of mayo. Always went down well and has a good Protein hit. Thigh/leg meat is nicer than breast but then that's always been my opinion. I had lamb and beef and pork too pretty early on - basically whatever I was cooking for the family!

I did slow cooked casseroles & mince dishes. Savoury mince, rissoles (meat balls) bolognese, etc. served with a decent amount of sauce/gravy so delicious. Scrambled eggs were great as was soft fleshed flaky fish (poached). And yes, I’m with you @Spinoza chicken thigh meat is way tastier, more moist & tender than breast meat which is often too dry.

Edited by Arabesque

I’m most excited about chicken, especially hibachi chicken, I’m planning on just ordering the chicken and double veggies instead of rice. The place I go to has very moist chicken so hopefully it will go down well. I’m also excited about chili, shrimp, spinach and squash. Pre-op I could eat my weight in grilled shrimp, creamed spinach and sautéed squash lol I’m definitely taking notes on ideas people are giving me!

Scrambled eggs and grilled fish were my first couple of things I tried on soft foods. Then I needed Fiber because I was constipated and NP said to oversteam veggies and I had a lot of broccoli and zucchini as Snacks. The broccoli you have to cut all the stems off at first but shortly after I was eating the smaller stems without issue.

Edited by ShoppGirl

tuna and I tried eggs but ended up with welts all over with eggs. I had a slight egg allergy before VSG now I have a full blown allergy and Sr said don’t ever eat them again. So besides that and the puréed stage I had Panda Express teriyaki chicken but didn’t put the sauce on it just ate the grilled meat and omg it was heaven. The kids meal was perfect and my son was happy to extra chow mein and an extra drink and cookie lol

I went through a pork chop phase, venison, ground buffalo, salmon. Lobster was the best. Right now I’m mostly eating chicken, fish, and veggies. I missed veggies so much!