Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2022 Surgery Buddies

1 hour ago, kaisyl said:

I have to do 5 shakes a day with nothing else.
800 calories, 75 g of Protein is what the shakes equal.

Round three of doing this liquid diet.

Day three of this round.

How many grams is each shake? Mine are 30 grams Protein each so I'm getting 90 grams in just 3 shakes.

Hey there! I just was sleeved on 3/1/22 on Tuesday and I promise it is a struggle to drink so much but do it while you can. After surgery, I have barely been able to hold anything down. I think it is their way of prepping you for what is to come. Best of luck!

On 03/04/2022 at 18:39, Nifer72 said:

How many grams is each shake? Mine are 30 grams Protein each so I'm getting 90 grams in just 3 shakes.< br />

Each shake is 15g. They don’t give us a choice on shakes since they need the 75g of Protein and 800 calories so the Atkins shakes work perfectly with the 5 shakes a day so that is what my program requires.

Hello everyone!
I just had my surgery 2 days ago. Post op is a little rough. Any tricks on how to stay hydrated? How long did it take for the pain to go away?
Good luck to anyone who is about to get their surgery! And congratulations to everyone who has completed their surgery!

12 minutes ago, KBMarie said:

Hello everyone!
I just had my surgery 2 days ago. Post op is a little rough. Any tricks on how to stay hydrated? How long did it take for the pain to go away?
Good luck to anyone who is about to get their surgery! And congratulations to everyone who has completed their surgery!

Hi there!

I just had surgery 5 days ago. Congratulations to use both I guess lol Post op has been a little rough for me but today is sooooo much better. I keep remembering the gas issues will subside soon enough the rumbles create crazy pain. My gas was all is my stomach cavity area. It’s also been slow going with the fluids but I just try to sip what I can. If Water is the only thing that feels good that day I sip that every few minutes with some Miralax in it. This first week just experiment with Clear Liquids and ease until Full if you can’t seem to get it all in.

also alternating on whether hot or cold feels better on your tummy. Heat pad helps wonders! Good luck and take it easy if you can.

Thank you so much! I think some of my pain is gas pain. I try to walk to help release it. I’ve tried to drink a little bit of a Protein Shake but after 3 sips I just felt like I couldn’t hold anything more down without gagging. I’m really scared about hair loss/thinning if I don’t drink enough Protein. I will def mix in some warm fluids too!

Congratulations to all you ladies peeking back in after your surgeries!

5 hours ago, kaisyl said:

Each shake is 15g. They don’t give us a choice on shakes since they need the 75g of Protein and 800 calories so the Atkins shakes work perfectly with the 5 shakes a day so that is what my program requires.

I find it interesting how many ways these Dr's can make a liquid diet different! LoL

Hi ladies, I’m scheduled for VSG surgery on 3/24. It’s all been very quick since my consult in February, but I’ve been thinking about this for years. My Dr does not have any kind of pre op diet, but I’ve got some Premier Protein drinks I’m planning on incorporating into my diet these next 2 weeks.

Congrats to those who have already had surgery! Can’t wait to be on the other side with you!

Hello All!

I have a gastric sleeve today, March 5th, in Michigan, and I have to say that I am terrified! I have wanted this for so long(covid delays), but as I sit here in the hospital, I can not help wonder if I am making the right choice. Pre-surgery jitters, for sure!

58 minutes ago, ladylawyer22 said:

Hi ladies, I’m scheduled for VSG surgery on 3/24. It’s all been very quick since my consult in February, but I’ve been thinking about this for years. My Dr does not have any kind of pre op diet, but I’ve got some Premier Protein drinks I’m planning on incorporating into my diet these next 2 weeks.

Congrats to those who have already had surgery! Can’t wait to be on the other side with you!

Hello! I totally get you, I got my date and was like wow that’s actually less than 2 weeks away. Just know you can ALWAYS say “I have more questions to be answered.” Do no feel rushed. Your doctor didn’t offer you a consult with a nutritionist? I would highly recommend asking so you can get a pre op diet. I know most surgeons are different but usually pre op diet is all liquid diet 1-2 weeks before surgery. sugar free Jello , popsicles, black coffee, Water, crystal light.

03/05/2022 01:25 PM, KBMarie said:

Hello! I totally get you, I got my date and was like wow that’s actually less than 2 weeks away. Just know you can ALWAYS say “I have more questions to be answered.” Do no feel rushed. Your doctor didn’t offer you a consult with a nutritionist? I would highly recommend asking so you can get a pre op diet. I know most surgeons are different but usually pre op diet is all liquid diet 1-2 weeks before surgery. sugar free Jello , popsicles, black coffee, Water, crystal light.

Hi! My surgeons staff have been very accessible and helpful in answering my questions. I’ve already had my nutrition class, but it all dealt with post Op diet. My surgeon doesn’t believe in requiring any sort of special pre op diet. The idea is just to start incorporating healthy habits (more veg, less fat and sugar, not drinking while eating), but otherwise eat normally. I do have my pre Op appt next week where they’ll let me know what they want me to do the day before surgery. I realize this isn’t common among most surgeons, but I’m not mad about it lol.

On 03/05/2022 at 12:32, carpeediem said:

Hello All!

I have a gastric sleeve today, March 5th, in Michigan, and I have to say that I am terrified! I have wanted this for so long(covid delays), but as I sit here in the hospital, I can not help wonder if I am making the right choice. Pre-surgery jitters, for sure!

Good luck!! I’m sure all will go smoothly, keep us posted!

Hi! I just had my surgery March 1st! I've been struggling with the post op clear liquid diet lately, but im pushing on! I am just eager to get to all the phases!