Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To those who had a very easy recovery...

I’m only a month out i had the Bypass, amazing recovery , no pain NOTHING ! At first i was worried but i stay consistent with my Vitamins and amount of food i take . Currently down almost 50 pounds in less then a month .

31 minutes ago, kfedez said:

I’m only a month out i had the Bypass, amazing recovery , no pain NOTHING ! At first i was worried but i stay consistent with my Vitamins and amount of food i take . Currently down almost 50 pounds in less then a month .

That is fantastic!! Congratulations!!

I woke up from surgery thinking they hadnt done anything yet as I felt no pain. The first initial month I felt no restriction and had hunger pangs , but as time goes on you definitely feel it. I found that if I mistepped and ate too much or too quickly then it would hurt, big time.

I'm three weeks out and have had an easy recovery. I also follow all the instructions to a T so that probably helps as well. I never had the liquid stage: the first two weeks were pureed foods and now I'm on soft foods, in a week I can start testing any and all foods. I do get hungry at times but usually close to the time I should eat anyway.

On 9/25/2021 at 12:08 PM, dal101 said:

I woke up from surgery thinking they hadnt done anything yet as I felt no pain. The first initial month I felt no restriction and had hunger pangs , but as time goes on you definitely feel it. I found that if I mistepped and ate too much or too quickly then it would hurt, big time.

I'm so glad you said you had hunger. I'm three weeks out and I'm hungry all the time but it HURTS when I eat. It hurts in back on the right side.

I have always thought to myself this is too easy… I had vsg 2/24/21 I am down 80 lbs since surgery and 104 lbs overall since 10/31/20. Some of it is luck and some of it I feel is good choices and embracing the lifestyle changes as well as mindset. I listen to a few wls podcasts and belong to a few wls groups. I go to support meetings offered by my surgeon’s office and spend a lot of time researching. Celebrate the NSVs and keep making new goals. Tracking helps me meet my goals, measuring everything helps me learn proper portions. Walking and weightlifting are also contributing to my weight loss. I did have 1 hiccup- gall bladder had to come out 5 months after vsg- but I did have a history of gallstones and the rapid weight loss probably was what caused my gall bladder to become inflamed. Hoping it continues to feel easy and I can stay on track for the long term.

58 minutes ago, Jaye W said:

I have always thought to myself this is too easy… I had vsg 2/24/21 I am down 80 lbs since surgery and 104 lbs overall since 10/31/20. Some of it is luck and some of it I feel is good choices and embracing the lifestyle changes as well as mindset. I listen to a few wls podcasts and belong to a few wls groups. I go to support meetings offered by my surgeon’s office and spend a lot of time researching. Celebrate the NSVs and keep making new goals. Tracking helps me meet my goals, measuring everything helps me learn proper portions. Walking and weightlifting are also contributing to my weight loss. I did have 1 hiccup- gall bladder had to come out 5 months after vsg- but I did have a history of gallstones and the rapid weight loss probably was what caused my gall bladder to become inflamed. Hoping it continues to feel easy and I can stay on track for the long term.

That is fantastic to hear!! I have very recently started eating all real food and I am definitely seeing and feeling the difference now!! It ALMOST felt like I didn't even have surgery until I started real food! I'm currently mourning the loss of my ability to "tear up" delicious food!! 😆 LOL but I'm down 20 in 4 weeks and hoping to either sustain that pace or maybe pick it up a little! So far I'm incredibly happy with my decision to get this surgery!! Thanks for sharing your inspiring experience!! 😊

2 hours ago, AngieL11282 said:

That is fantastic to hear!! I have very recently started eating all real food and I am definitely seeing and feeling the difference now!! It ALMOST felt like I didn't even have surgery until I started real food! I'm currently mourning the loss of my ability to "tear up" delicious food!! 😆 LOL but I'm down 20 in 4 weeks and hoping to either sustain that pace or maybe pick it up a little! So far I'm incredibly happy with my decision to get this surgery!! Thanks for sharing your inspiring experience!! 😊

Real food definitely felt different at first. I got over mourning the loss to eat a big volume. Once the weight loss kicks in I started to enjoy the ability to control my portions more than the desire to eat large portions. I also try to figure out healthy substitutes for things I miss. 20 lbs in 4 weeks is amazing.. it will really start to add up if you stay focused and on track. Keep strong!

9 hours ago, Jaye W said:

Real food definitely felt different at first. I got over mourning the loss to eat a big volume. Once the weight loss kicks in I started to enjoy the ability to control my portions more than the desire to eat large portions. I also try to figure out healthy substitutes for things I miss. 20 lbs in 4 weeks is amazing.. it will really start to add up if you stay focused and on track. Keep strong!

Thanks so much!!!

I asked my nurse if they'd actually done anything since my recovery was so easy. She laughed and said that 90% of people have an easy recovery. You just only hear the issues because those folks are asking for help and suggestions while the folks without issues kinda fly under the radar.

I do wish that I had more of a restriction or issues with sugar since I seem to be able to have anything, but it's forcing me to use my mental game which I think is a good thing for long-term success.

I did my surgery on 9/7 also and I’m having a great recovery also. I’m so thankful I have no pain and I walked so fast I forget I had it sometimes. But I need to take it slow especially with three kids. I do have a hard time with food loss and learning how to eat but it’s a new change and I try to stay positive. I have three growing boys and fiancé and it’s hard when they buy junk food or things I should t eat. I don’t eat it but I do wanna say this is a big change and it’s hard any advice on how to control cravings?

5 hours ago, kweenevee415 said:

Is it normal to stay at one weight for two weeks I’m stuck on 178 for two weeks it’s been a month since I got my gastric sleeve

I stalled for about 10 days (2.5-3.5 weeks post op) but now I am losing again. From what I've read it seems that stalls are very common and completely normal. Just keep working the plan and the weight will come off! We didn't gain it overnight so I think patience and persistence is going to be key to long term success! 🙂

Edited by AngieL11282

5 hours ago, kweenevee415 said:

I did my surgery on 9/7 also and I’m having a great recovery also. I’m so thankful I have no pain and I walked so fast I forget I had it sometimes. But I need to take it slow especially with three kids. I do have a hard time with food loss and learning how to eat but it’s a new change and I try to stay positive. I have three growing boys and fiancé and it’s hard when they buy junk food or things I should t eat. I don’t eat it but I do wanna say this is a big change and it’s hard any advice on how to control cravings?

I am keeping junk food out of the house as much as possible but I did buy some Quest Protein chips and some Slim Fast Keto Fat Bombs. Just a few chips or 1 fat bomb will keep my sweet or salty craving at bay. I'm trying to be realistic and substitute bad food for less bad alternatives.... It's just not realistic for me to NEVER have a piece of chocolate or a handful of chips.

12 hours ago, AngieL11282 said:

I am keeping junk food out of the house as much as possible but I did buy some Quest Protein chips and some Slim Fast Keto Fat Bombs. Just a few chips or 1 fat bomb will keep my sweet or salty craving at bay. I'm trying to be realistic and substitute bad food for less bad alternatives.... It's just not realistic for me to NEVER have a piece of chocolate or a handful of chips.

These are some of my "go-to" snack substitutes as well. I know some people advocate not eating snack food ever, but for me having a less destructive alternative to the real thing has helped me a lot.