Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To those who had a very easy recovery...

I’m new to this site. I’m 5 weeks out from gastric bypass. I was home within 24 hrs after surgery. Soon after that I was walking around with no issues. Had no pain. The only trouble I’m having is relearning how to eat, I eat too fast or don’t eat enough. Already at the solid stage, finding it hard to figure out what I can eat, if I’m eating too much or drinking too much.

32 minutes ago, Mela43 said:

I’m new to this site. I’m 5 weeks out from gastric bypass. I was home within 24 hrs after surgery. Soon after that I was walking around with no issues. Had no pain. The only trouble I’m having is relearning how to eat, I eat too fast or don’t eat enough. Already at the solid stage, finding it hard to figure out what I can eat, if I’m eating too much or drinking too much.

I too eat entirely too fast and man is a tough habit to break!! That and not drinking while eating are both difficult for me!! Wishing you good luck and much success on your journey!!

Reading this is so encouraging. I have my surgery on Tuesday and was starting to feel nervous. The doctor’s office said the 2nd day is the worst and it gets better from there

I’ve had the EXACT same experience so far (was sleeved 9/13) and have the same fear. It feels too good to be true? Just trying to trust the process but it’s difficult because the results aren’t instant. I was 245 when I started the pre-op diet, 230 day of surgery, and today I was 214.5 — just hoping the losses continue with solids but it has def slowed down now🤞🏻

24 minutes ago, hgessic said:

Reading this is so encouraging. I have my surgery on Tuesday and was starting to feel nervous. The doctor’s office said the 2nd day is the worst and it gets better from there

For me the first day was the worst. I had my surgery at 7:30 am and was in pain when I woke up but I said YES to all the good drugs while in the hospital (I was discharged the next day) and only took 3 oxys total after I got home. I was sore for about a week but nothing crazy. It's been amazing ever since! Good luck and congrats on your surgery!!

1 hour ago, GooseyGirl said:

I’ve had the EXACT same experience so far (was sleeved 9/13) and have the same fear. It feels too good to be true? Just trying to trust the process but it’s difficult because the results aren’t instant. I was 245 when I started the pre-op diet, 230 day of surgery, and today I was 214.5 — just hoping the losses continue with solids but it has def slowed down now🤞🏻

I was sleeved the same day as you and was 231 the day of surgery. Today I was 213. I'm already on solids (since the 28th) and I've still be losing quickly. For me it has not been easy however. I'm hungry all the time and I'm having a lot of back pain, which is unusual for me.

3 hours ago, hgessic said:

Good luck on the procedure. I had surgery on 9/01/21, I wasn’t nervous driving to the hospital, it hit me once I got poked with the needles..at that point it was downhill, constant crying, questioning why I was doing it and wanting to just cancel it (mind you I was already on the table while all the crazy thoughts were going through my head). Once I took that deep breath and woke up in recovery I knew I had done it for ME.. a month later hearing that my A1C is near normal, reaffirmed me that this was the right decision. I wasn’t big to begin with, but diabetes was going to be the death of me. Runs in my family and no matter what and how I ate I was still on 7 different meds…

For me day one was difficult and then after that it was pretty much smooth sailing. I also was like…should this be so easy? Where’s the suffering I’ve heard so much about? I was worried it meant I wouldn’t be successful long term. It’s just continued on being pretty easy for a year now, 167 pounds of weight loss later.

I know a lady who had this surgery 8 years ago and she still describes it as the easiest diet she ever had. Sometimes things just work out!