Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any August 2021 Bypassers?



Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, 2ndChance@Life said:

My surgery was scheduled for 8/16, then rescheduled for 8/23…today it got cancelled due to increase in Covid cases with no rescheduled date in sight. I’m so bummed, but wondering if this happened for a reason 🙈

I’m so sorry your having to deal with that. Mine was RNY was scheduled for the 11th, got pushed to the 12th because of covid but I got in and out and have been home resting. Hopefully they get you in soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/18/2021 at 19:05, 2ndChance@Life said:



My surgery was scheduled for 8/16, then rescheduled for 8/23…today it got cancelled due to increase in Covid cases with no rescheduled date in sight. I’m so bummed, but wondering if this happened for a reason 🙈


Hi @2ndChance,
Higher Covid rates in your area did not happen just to screw you up. It’s not personal, it’s just the ongoing pandemic we are all living in. That said, I’m deeply sorry that you have done all the preparation and plans to have to wait some more. That’s so disappointing!

Now, how do you deal with disappointment? If you’re like most of us here, maybe food and drink need to exchange places with therapy and exercise?

Seriously last week, two days before surgery, my insurance declined the procedure. My first thought was ice cream and wine. I decided I am a grown up woman and I called the WL office to ask about the therapist. We also talked about what the office was doing about my insurance appeal and what I could do to push it forward fast. Guess what? It all ended up working out ok and I “met” the therapist. Keep Calm and Adult on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2021 at 9:50 AM, learn2cook said:

Hi @2ndChance,
Higher Covid rates in your area did not happen just to screw you up. It’s not personal, it’s just the ongoing pandemic we are all living in. That said, I’m deeply sorry that you have done all the preparation and plans to have to wait some more. That’s so disappointing!

Now, how do you deal with disappointment? If you’re like most of us here, maybe food and drink need to exchange places with therapy and exercise?

Seriously last week, two days before surgery, my insurance declined the procedure. My first thought was ice cream and wine. I decided I am a grown up woman and I called the WL office to ask about the therapist. We also talked about what the office was doing about my insurance appeal and what I could do to push it forward fast. Guess what? It all ended up working out ok and I “met” the therapist. Keep Calm and Adult on!

I appreciate your response. I’ve been wrapping my head around the possibility that this surgery may not happen and preparing myself mentally for doing this on my own and continuing to take meds for the GERD. I know it’s not personal, and I don’t want to force it. I know they are doing this for my safety and to accommodate those impacted by COVID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is everyone doing? I am exactly one week post-op today and down 8lbs from surgery. The first few days were extremely rough, but about day 4 things started to improve. I’m still on full liquids and am looking forward to the purée stage. I have a follow-up appt on Wednesday to have my stitches removed. No issues getting fluids or Protein in the last few days.

I’ve never been much of a cook, but for some reason I’ve become obsessed with watching cooking videos and researching recipes. At a time when I physically cannot eat I’ve decided I want to learn to cook 🤪. Oddly enough, it’s not making me crave food - it’s somehow helping me cope. Anyone else have any odd revelations after their surgery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oct 18 ,21 ---i wish it was here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 days away from 4-weeks post-op and I feel like I'm doing pretty good. Did anyone else gain like 10 pounds the 1st/2nd day after surgery? My dad thought it was probably the gas they fill your insides with for laparoscopy, plus the swelling, but I thought that was just nuts! It went away after about 4-5 days and I was back down to surgery day weight but I was like, "Oh, come on, really!?!"

Right now I'm on soft/blended foods like scrambled eggs, and well, a lot of scrambled eggs. The last 3 weeks I haven't really had an appetite, and that excited me. Sweet things like Protein Shakes were too sweet, and that excited me, b/c without a taste for them, it makes it even easier to see a future where I don't eat things that aren't healthy for me. Over the weekend, however, I found that I started to enjoy the tastes of the overly sweet tasting Protein shakes again, and even have started to have some "cravings" for food that I kind of thought I wouldn't have for awhile more (cheese is a big one as I'm able to have those Laughing Cow Light wedges.)

With my shift to "normal" (as tolerated) coming up this Thursday, I'm wondering to myself if I will continue to feel "cravings" increase. Has this happened to any of you this early after surgery? Having that old hunger come back in what seems like such a short period of time?

Also wanted to say congrats to all the other August peeps and anyone else with an upcoming surgery date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, boogie2dope said:

3 days away from 4-weeks post-op and I feel like I'm doing pretty good. Did anyone else gain like 10 pounds the 1st/2nd day after surgery? My dad thought it was probably the gas they fill your insides with for laparoscopy, plus the swelling, but I thought that was just nuts! It went away after about 4-5 days and I was back down to surgery day weight but I was like, "Oh, come on, really!?!"

Right now I'm on soft/blended foods like scrambled eggs, and well, a lot of scrambled eggs. The last 3 weeks I haven't really had an appetite, and that excited me. Sweet things like Protein Shakes were too sweet, and that excited me, b/c without a taste for them, it makes it even easier to see a future where I don't eat things that aren't healthy for me. Over the weekend, however, I found that I started to enjoy the tastes of the overly sweet tasting Protein shakes again, and even have started to have some "cravings" for food that I kind of thought I wouldn't have for awhile more (cheese is a big one as I'm able to have those Laughing Cow Light wedges.)

With my shift to "normal" (as tolerated) coming up this Thursday, I'm wondering to myself if I will continue to feel "cravings" increase. Has this happened to any of you this early after surgery? Having that old hunger come back in what seems like such a short period of time?

Also wanted to say congrats to all the other August peeps and anyone else with an upcoming surgery date.

Yes! Same! I gained 10lbs from the gas/fluids, etc. What was nuts is that it literally all came off overnight between days 3 and 4 and now 7 days out I'm down 8lbs from my initial surgery weight. My body feels like some weird science experiment!

How was your shift from liquid to puree/soft foods? I was also struck even a few days out that I desperately wanted some of the foods I shouldn't have. Around days 4/5 I was having some serious mental challenges with wanting to eat chips, pizza, Cookies, etc. (of course I stuck to my good ole Protein shakes!). I thought at least this early I would be somewhat disgusted by food given the state of my insides. Oddly, what has given me some reprieve is planning how amazing of a chef I am going to be once I can cook again by researching healthy recipes and watching videos on healthy cooking techniques, etc. I like feeling prepared for things, so maybe this is helping me mentally combat knowing what I no longer want to put in my body with feeling prepared to create dishes that will enable me to reach my goals. I don't know, but it's keeping me entertained at least!

As for your sweet cravings, I've read that a lot of post-WLS folks like Torani or Skinny SF syrups and use them to spice up Protein Shakes, yogurt, etc. Perhaps if you went on a mission to find 3-5 recipes for the healthiest sweet recipes you can find it may help you face this head-on?

Best wishes to you and congrats on your weight loss so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, mamabear_2_2 said:

Yes! Same! I gained 10lbs from the gas/fluids, etc. What was nuts is that it literally all came off overnight between days 3 and 4 and now 7 days out I'm down 8lbs from my initial surgery weight. My body feels like some weird science experiment!

How was your shift from liquid to puree/soft foods? I was also struck even a few days out that I desperately wanted some of the foods I shouldn't have. Around days 4/5 I was having some serious mental challenges with wanting to eat chips, pizza, Cookies, etc. (of course I stuck to my good ole Protein shakes!). I thought at least this early I would be somewhat disgusted by food given the state of my insides. Oddly, what has given me some reprieve is planning how amazing of a chef I am going to be once I can cook again by researching healthy recipes and watching videos on healthy cooking techniques, etc. I like feeling prepared for things, so maybe this is helping me mentally combat knowing what I no longer want to put in my body with feeling prepared to create dishes that will enable me to reach my goals. I don't know, but it's keeping me entertained at least!

As for your sweet cravings, I've read that a lot of post-WLS folks like Torani or Skinny SF syrups and use them to spice up Protein Shakes, yogurt, etc. Perhaps if you went on a mission to find 3-5 recipes for the healthiest sweet recipes you can find it may help you face this head-on?

Best wishes to you and congrats on your weight loss so far!

I like your idea about planning out the recipes and meals and becoming Top Chef, :) . Thank you for the ingredient suggestions.

My shift to puree was actually pretty well. I did my first day or two at half what they said I could, meaning instead of doing puree for each meal/snack, I did half puree and then kept one meal and one snack a full liquid. Then by the third day I knew I could tolerate it and ate puree at every meal.

I made this amazing Low Fat Buffalo chicken Dip that is out of this world, super high in Protein, and low in sugar. 1/3 cup serving is about 2.5 Carbs, 5G Fat, 16G Protein. My surgeon's office and nutritionist was awesome enough to provide a list of puree recipes, but that is by far my favorite. Canned chicken breast was and still is one of my best friends b/c of my 9-11 hour work days. I actually adapted the recipe after puree week was over and now am using it for my blended/soft week. Is there a recipe section on this site? I'd be happy to share there. Where are you finding your recipes/watching your cooking videos? Just YouTube or something different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone

Had surgery on 08/12/21. Any surgery twins? How have you all been feeling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t been keeping up on this thread last day or two.

Surgery on 8/23.

So I lost about 10 pounds I think some had lost more and some have lost less, but I know it’s very individual. I’m really happy with that amount.

I’m still having pain on the bottom right of my stomach. Doctor said it was normal. He was concerned about not going to the bathroom so had to step up measure there unfortunately.

I haven’t had any issues with 4oz an hour of liquids and Proteins. I am thinking of moving up to soft foods since I am doing okay and it’s on the two week schedule.

I haven’t started Vitamins yet, might try a Gummy one this week.

I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos from 2 doctors and or patient l. I’ll follow up later with the names. They’ve been helping me less stressed. Although my best advantage is having an awesome wife who has been super on top of foods and meds for me. She has really been amazing.

Hope everyone is doing well with their recovery. I’m glad we are in this together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, codevsg said:

I haven’t been keeping up on this thread last day or two.

Surgery on 8/23.

So I lost about 10 pounds I think some had lost more and some have lost less, but I know it’s very individual. I’m really happy with that amount.

I’m still having pain on the bottom right of my stomach. Doctor said it was normal. He was concerned about not going to the bathroom so had to step up measure there unfortunately.

I haven’t had any issues with 4oz an hour of liquids and Proteins. I am thinking of moving up to soft foods since I am doing okay and it’s on the two week schedule.

I haven’t started Vitamins yet, might try a Gummy one this week.

I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos from 2 doctors and or patient l. I’ll follow up later with the names. They’ve been helping me less stressed. Although my best advantage is having an awesome wife who has been super on top of foods and meds for me. She has really been amazing.

Hope everyone is doing well with their recovery. I’m glad we are in this together.

Hey, I'm wondering what your doctor said about gummies in the early stages of recovery? I ask because I also had that idea, as the market seems saturated with Gummy supplements. I was advised to stay away from gummies for the foreseeable future and do chewable tabs for my vitamins/supplements as "they break down and absorb better, and have less chance of getting stuck or obstruction."

Edited by boogie2dope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • lizardskelter

      done
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • heyitsdilly

      I've officially surpassed 80lbs of weight loss! Working on that 100lbs!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Songbyrd420

      Kind of nervous, as expected. One month out from surgery!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • lauren.g

      😫 Hi, I’m new to bariatricpal! I am 8 days post op VSG. I am struggling very badly. I’ve been so emotional because I feel like I’m doing wrong. I’m afraid I’ll eat or drink to fast or eat the wrong thing. I’ve been on Pinterest and YouTube constantly for help. I have followed all of my surgeons and dieticians instructions. I just don’t know if my body is getting enough. Today, I am weak, sore, and just exhausted. 
      · 2 replies
      1. Tara A

        It passes!! Everyone goes though it! It is a short term emotion! I'm almost five years post op! You made the right decision! Don't focus on the change right now. Try to entertain your mind. What your feeling only last about a week. It's related to your body adjusting and you mind adjusting. You got this!!

      2. SleeverSk

        I agree with Tara it's hard right now but it gets better do t forget your hormones will be all over the place you may even feel depressed. Be kind to yourself reach out and talk to people how you are feeling .

    • Reluctantsleever

      Scheduled for VSG and hernia repair surgery 5/18/22
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×