Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey! Revision(ist), I want to hear from you! Tell me your experience: revision in June. Nervous

Hello! I'm just wondering if anyone is scheduled for a revision from sleeve to bypass in June, later on or has already had it done? My revision surgery is scheduled for June 14th for GERD, rapid gastric emptying, hiatal hernia, and difficulty swallowing! I won the post op sleeve surgery lotto. I got it all! 😅🤣.. I'm a little nervous and starting to get anxious. So yeah..😬.. If you've had a revision, I want to hear from you. Tell me your story and your experience after your revision. Were your issues resolved? Did you lose any weight? Were you hungry? Tired? Whatever. Let me know your thoughts and if it was worth it... 😊😊😊

Edited by nikki19rl

Sleeved Nov 2017 then Revised July 2019 (for GERD, hernia, sleeve torsion etc)

Almost immediately after no more issues with GERD. I developed a stricture early out but it was dilated and resolved.

I initially lost more weight (around 15lbs) but it wasn’t where I or my surgeon wanted me to be so I gained it back. My weight may fluctuate a few lbs on either side of my goal but that is usually due to events

I wasn’t hungry immediately after surgery but that’s normal for me, hunger returned and it was no big deal as I had already had a return on hunger a year before with VSG. Some people (myself included) have a experienced a change in restriction from VSG to RNY (less, more or different restriction)

I actually had an easier recovery with the revision. It was a short learning curve with new bathroom habits.

Overall very satisfied.

10 hours ago, nikki19rl said:

Hello! I'm just wondering if anyone is scheduled for a revision from sleeve to bypass in June, later on or has already had it done? My revision surgery is scheduled for June 14th for GERD, rapid gastric emptying, hiatal hernia, and difficulty swallowing! I won the post op sleeve surgery lotto. I got it all! 😅🤣.. I'm a little nervous and starting to get anxious. So yeah..😬.. If you've had a revision, I want to hear from you. Tell me your story and your experience after your revision. Were your issues resolved? Did you lose any weight? Were you hungry? Tired? Whatever. Let me know your thoughts and if it was worth it... 😊😊😊

I'm experiencing everything you are except rapid gastric emptying. I've been on pranprozole since Nov 2019. Gastrologist will not even discuss repairing the hernia. I've started needing Tums again. Prior to seeing this doctor I had been eating 8 - 10 Tums a day, I had no idea that was a bad thing! I had them in the console of my truck, in the house and some by the bed so I could roll over in the middle of the night and get a couple. Did your doctor suggest revision immediately or will I have to go through a series of tests, medications etc? I was cash pay for the sleeve, but it was elective surgery. This would be medically necessary I suspect. Thoughts? Advice appreciated.

Dang! Yeah. I was the same way. I had issues not even a year out from my sleeve and was also on Ragland and Prilosec for a year after my sleeve. Nothing seemed to help long term. Unfortunately, my surgeon who had been working with me since 2017 knew after nothing else worked that I needed a revision. I had maintained my weight loss so she believed me when I was seeking help for reflux and severe dumping. Plus one of my teeth broke and another one isn't far off. Once I showed her my teeth she realized something was really up. The issue was we had to prove to my Insurance that it was medically necessary and that my symptoms could be proven on a series of test to prove it wasn't elective. I had to have a HIDA scan done to test my liver and gallbladder function, which was normal. I had to have a flouro swallowing study done, which was normal except for the hernia. I had a ambulatory swallow study done that showed my esophagus wasn't emptying properly and that I had severe GERD on top of a failed gastric emptying test. The most important test was my GERD test out of all the above. If I didn't get a positive test for GERD, my insurance wouldn't cover my revision. The other test just helped build my case. I'm not sure what your surgeon will require but if your acid reflux is as bad as mine you'll need that GERD test. I also had and failed the BRAVO . so as a alternative I had to have a 24 hour ambulatory ph test thst i originally denied, where they put a tube down your nose into your stomach with a monitor you wear the entire time that monitors your swallowing and acid reflux . It's more accurate than the BRAVO, and as awful as it sounds, it wasn't fun but it's doable. I'd suggest getting that test done and eating badly and eating spicy food w wine if you have it done lol. if you are paying out of pocket it may be up to the surgeon. But if you need to prove your case with insurance you'll need that GERD test . The 1st surgeon didn't listen to me so I saw one of his partners who was a women, who listened and helped me out ALOT. You know your body. Just do not go in complaining about your weight as the main issue for revision, . Make sure that it's noted as your last concern so they'll hear you out, and how even eating properly causing you discomfort.It was a long process. Hopefully it's worth it. Just be consistent and like i mentioned , that Ph test will be the determining factor and most important test to have if all else fails..

Edited by nikki19rl

11 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Sleeved Nov 2017 then Revised July 2019 (for GERD, hernia, sleeve torsion etc)

Almost immediately after no more issues with GERD. I developed a stricture early out but it was dilated and resolved.

I initially lost more weight (around 15lbs) but it wasn’t where I or my surgeon wanted me to be so I gained it back. My weight may fluctuate a few lbs on either side of my goal but that is usually due to events

I wasn’t hungry immediately after surgery but that’s normal for me, hunger returned and it was no big deal as I had already had a return on hunger a year before with VSG. Some people (myself included) have a experienced a change in restriction from VSG to RNY (less, more or different restriction)

I actually had an easier recovery with the revision. It was a short learning curve with new bathroom habits.

Overall very satisfied.

Great! Has it gotten better? Have you maintained your weight loss? Did you lose any hair? Part of me doesn't want to go through this again, but at the same breath I can't handle this GERD anymore. One of my teeth actually broke it's so bad. Was it painful? I'm just nervous but your experience has made me feel better. Thankyou!

5 minutes ago, nikki19rl said:

Dang! Yeah. I was the same way. I had issues not even a year out from my sleeve and was also on regland. Nothing helped. Unfortunately, my surgeon who had been working with me since 2017 new after nothing else worked that I needed a revision. I had maintained my weight loss so she believed me when I was seeking help for reflux. The issue was we had to prove to my Insurance that it was medically necessary and that my symptoms could be proven on a series of test. I had to have a HIDA scan done to test my liver and gallbladder function, which was normal. I had to have a flour swallow study which was normal except for the hernia. I had a ambulatory swallow study done that showed my esophagus wasn't emptying properly and that I had severe GERD on top of a failed gastric emptying test. The most important test was my GERD test. If I didn't get a positive test for GERD, my insurance wouldn't cover my revision. The other test just help build my case. I'm not sure what your surgeon will require but if your acid reflux is as bad as mine you'll need that GERD test. I also had and failed the BRAVO . so as a alternative I had to have a 24 hour ambulatory ph test thst i originally denied, where they put a tube down your nose into your stomach with a monitor you wear the entire time that monitors your swallowing and acid reflux . It's more accurate than the BRAVO, and as awful as it sounds, it wasn't fun but it's doable. I'd suggest getting that test done and eating badly and eating spicy food w wine if you have it lol. if you are paying out of pocket it may be up to the surgeon. But if you need to prove your case with insurance you'll need several test . The 1st surgeon didn't listen to me so I saw one of his partners who was a women, who listened and helped me out ALOT. You know your body. Just do not go in complaining about your weight as the main issue for revision, . Make sure that it's noted as your last concern so they'll hear you out. It was a long process. Hopefully it's worth it. Just be consistent and like i mentioned , that Ph test will be the determining factor and most important test to have if all else fails..

Thank you so much. I can eat pepperoni pizza and it about kills me, it did PRIOR to WLS!!! LOL Now days salad will do it. I appreciate you taking the time to give me an idea of what to expect. Ph test does not sound fun. Can they just give you enough xanax or something to make you oblivious for a day I wonder!!! Have a great weekend!! Good luck, you'll probably be having surgery around the time I go for my first visit!

22 hours ago, nikki19rl said:

Great! Has it gotten better? Have you maintained your weight loss? Did you lose any hair? Part of me doesn't want to go through this again, but at the same breath I can't handle this GERD anymore. One of my teeth actually broke it's so bad. Was it painful? I'm just nervous but your experience has made me feel better. Thankyou!

GERD is completely resolved.

I have maintained my weightloss but I can lose unintentionally if I eat “clean”.

I never lost hair with any surgery (but I took L-Lysine, do a bit of research if you’re curious)

It wasn’t painful. It was done laparoscopically and I had a pain management plan ahead of time.

Good Luck ❤️