Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, Candace76 said:

Hi NorthernMaine,

I hope you get more information to help figure out which surgery is best for you.

If you don't find anyone in this forum (July surgery/sleeve) that has experience with this, you may want to post this in the Bypass Forum or General Forum also, that way more people might view it & be able to share if they had a similar experience. 😊

Good luck with you surgery!

Thank you, just had my meeting with my surgeon and will not perform a sleeve on someone with confirmed Barrett's so it will be modified to bypass. Fingers crossed that I can keep my same surgery date.

1 hour ago, NorthernMaine said:

Thank you, just had my meeting with my surgeon and will not perform a sleeve on someone with confirmed Barrett's so it will be modified to bypass. Fingers crossed that I can keep my same surgery date.

Glad you got an answer & decision. Wishing you lots of luck!🤞🍀😊

So, today is a new day.

So far I had a cup of coffee (stevia and non dairy creamer), a boiled egg, and a Protein Shake. Is that ok?

The paper from the dr literally says, "Protein shakes, strained Soups, sugar free sherbet, and sugar free pudding." That's all.

Online, I've looked at some of the pre-op diets and they include boiled eggs, tuna, and more. Even as I'm typing this, I feel like I sound like a brat who refuses to do what is being asked of her to be able to have this life-changing surgery.

I looked back through my texts to my sister:

You think I can have one of those little cups of guacamole?

How many Protein Shakes you think I can have?

Isn't EVERYTHING basically liquified after you've chewed and swallowed?

Ok, what about wine?

This is hard

If I can't even do this, how is it going to be afterwards?

LOL -- I've got the best sister.

4 hours ago, Soonlee_W said:

So, today is a new day.

So far I had a cup of coffee (stevia and non dairy creamer), a boiled egg, and a Protein Shake. Is that ok?

The paper from the dr literally says, "Protein shakes, strained Soups, sugar free sherbet, and sugar free pudding." That's all.

Online, I've looked at some of the pre-op diets and they include boiled eggs, tuna, and more. Even as I'm typing this, I feel like I sound like a brat who refuses to do what is being asked of her to be able to have this life-changing surgery.

I looked back through my texts to my sister:

You think I can have one of those little cups of guacamole?

How many Protein Shakes you think I can have?

Isn't EVERYTHING basically liquified after you've chewed and swallowed?

Ok, what about wine?

This is hard

If I can't even do this, how is it going to be afterwards?

LOL -- I've got the best sister.

Follow the guidelines of your surgeon, not something you found online. Think of this as a practice run for post-op, when “cheating”, or “slipping up”, or having a “bad day, or whatever else you want to call non-compliance to make yourself feel better, can actually kill you.

I’d say if you don’t have the discipline to follow the pre-op diet, you probably should reconsider surgery at this time.

Edited by FutureSkyDiver

My doctor is one of the strictest I’ve heard about. I haven’t been allowed anything but Protein Shakes and Water for 2 weeks pre-op and 2 weeks post-op. It has been worth it to see my weight come off. I had surgery July 1 and have lost 15 lbs since (33 lbs total). I’m glad he’s so rigid because I haven’t had to guess at what kind of food or shakes to get. He even told me the brand names. Any sign of non compliance and I was out of the program. My 10 day follow-up was today (since 10 days was over the weekend). He told me I’m doing better and lost more than expected. I get to start on cottage cheese, eggs, and yogurt this Friday.
All of this to say I highly recommend you following EXACTLY what the doctor says. It’s not the first time for them. They know what works. Don’t sabotage yourself before you even get started!! Good luck and best wishes

Hello beautiful people!

My VSG was on Friday, July 9 at 11:00 AM. It lasted a little bit over an hour. I woke up in the recovery room and the pain was intense, but they were able to take care of it right away. It felt like someone was sitting on my belly for a moment... 😏 They gave me ice chips there, because my mouth was dry. Back to my room, I was up and walking two hours later. The pain was only around the big incision (by my belly button). They brought me a liquid diet trey with goodies (pic) about 2.5 after I was in my room. I didn’t have sore throat or nausea. I was surprised how well I was doing. No gas pain at all. I was up and walking every hour or so. Only issue I had was with urinating as my bladder was “not listening” to me, but they said that’s due to anesthesia and that improved over the time. I slept on my back first night and was interrupted by nurses’ visits to check my vitals. Pain level was about 3 the entire time. Never felt any pain inside, it was mostly when sitting/getting up and moving, around the big incision (1 in). Other 4 incisions are about 1/3 in. All of them are glued and there are no stitches to be taken out. I was released the following day around 4 pm. On the way home, we picked up the prescriptions that were given to me at the hospital. I know, every surgeon gives different meds, but this is what I got.

1. Liquid Children’s Tylenol every 8 hours for 14 days

2. MethocarbamoL, muscle relaxant, 4 times a day for 14 days

3. GasEx every 6 hours for 30 days

4. Miralax daily for 30 days

5. Omeprazole (GARD) daily for 180 days

6. Lovenox shots (blood clotting) for 14 days

My follow up with the surgeon is in one week and some new meds (gallbladder stones) and Vitamins will be added.

Altogether, I was surprised how well I was doing in the hospital pain wise. I’m adjusting at home and every day is a little bit better. I’m able to sleep on my left side (Dr said it’s OK). My main goal is to stay hydrated, as I can have only 3-4 oz of liquid every hour.

Hope everyone is recovering nicely. And good luck to others with surgeries later in June!

MH SL.jpg

Hello Again Everyone!

I'm starting to get those Pre-Surgery Nerves! My Surgery is July 14th and I was hoping you all could help me out.

I did stray off on the Day 1 of my liquid diet which happened the be July 4th when I was surrounded by nothing but burgers and hot dogs. I was also swimming in the pool all day so after a certain point, if I didn't eat then I felt like I was going to pass out. Anyway, I've been pretty strict on the diet ever since but I'm thinking of taking a Laxative to be sure and just clean everything out of my system. I've read that some of you have been given a laxative or supplement to take the day before surgery? Is it a over the counter medication I can buy? If not, any suggestions?

Also, my doctor hasn't given much information about what Vitamins are needed after surgery besides the calcium citrate vitamins. Does anyone have any recommendations for which ones I should get? I know they have chews but some i've seen look so big that i'm like.....Ugh will I be able to swallow that after?

Any tips or suggestions in general would be super helpful ! Thanks!

Every doctor and patient may have different requirements/recommendations/instructions. It may be best if you reach out to your team to get some more clarity on your surgeon's recommendations based on your medical history. They may give you more details when they give you preop instuctions. They may also give you the Vitamin list after surgery.

My instructions were to drink 10 oz bottle of magnesium citrate the day before surgery. (It takes 4 hours to work, and they suggested taking it around 10 am.) It is available at the pharmacy.

For Vitamins, my instructions were to take:

-complete Multivitamin

-Calcium citrate 1200 mg day divided in 2 doses

-vitamin d 2000 IU

-B12 1000 mcg

-iron as directed by doctor, if needed..

I was also told to take prilosec otc (or similar) for 2 weeks pre op, up to day before surgery, and then resume 1 or 2 days after surgery.

Hoping you get some more information from your team. Wishing you luck.

3 hours ago, Sue2 said:

So happy to hear you’re doing so well!! You are well on your way to your new life

Thank you! I'm so blessed and thankful.

All the best to you! ❤️

This it how things are going for me. Sorry if it is long:

I had my Surgery on Wednesday at 10am and everything went well. I did have a hiatal hernia that was repaired during my sleeve.

One in recovery at about 12:30pm I can remember getting up and walking to the restroom twice. I was given some ice chips and some time later was given a cup of Water and a pill to swallow. I was in pain from the gas. It mostly felt like pressure in my right shoulder, my neck and behind my spleen. It was horrible.

I was moved to a room sometime around 5:30pm. I walked from the recovery bed to the bed in my room. I drank a couple of sips of water and fell asleep for about 30 minutes. I was determined to get rid of the gas pain at which by this time was mainly in my right shoulder and neck, so I walked for about 15 minutes. At this time the walking did not help much, I burped 1 time. Since I was on IV and drinking water I had to use the bathroom frequently and because of the pain of getting out of bed I chose to walk every time I had to urinate so I walked for about 10-15 minutes. Eventually I started burping more during my walks.

The night of surgery was pretty much the same, drinking water, urinating walking and burping. I did try some chicken bullion which was delicious and helped me burp from the warmth. I did not sleep much throughout the night.

The morning after surgery I decided to sit in a chair to see if I could sleep but I was still restless. I walked more and burped more throughout the morning. Since I was doing so well with my fluids, urinating and walking the doctor was most likely going to let me go home when he came back to check on me. I wanted to see if I was able to sleep before I was released so I forced myself to sleep and I was able to for about an hour. When I woke I wanted to try the thickest liquid they offered for my full liquid diet which was cream of Tomato Soup. I drank about 2 oz and held it down fine. I was discharged at 3:30pm that day.

When I got home I felt miserable from the 20 minute ride from the hospital to home so I took some med and tried to be as comfortable as I could be the gas pain was unbearable in my shoulder but I pushed through it. I was able to finally fall asleep around 11pm Thursday night.

When I woke up Friday around 5:50am I felt a lot better. I took some Tylenol, sipped on water and walked around in my house for about 1.5 hours (I am really determined to get rid of this gas today). I attempted to walk outside but the mosquitoes were horrible.

Over all the experience has not been to bad the worst part for me has definitely been the gas pain but it is getting better. As a tip drinking warm bullion before and during my walking has really helped getting the gas moving.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to share my experience.

It's helpful to me.. My surgery is on 7-17.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, Sue2 said:

My doctor is one of the strictest I’ve heard about. I haven’t been allowed anything but Protein Shakes and Water for 2 weeks pre-op and 2 weeks post-op. It has been worth it to see my weight come off. I had surgery July 1 and have lost 15 lbs since (33 lbs total). I’m glad he’s so rigid because I haven’t had to guess at what kind of food or shakes to get. He even told me the brand names. Any sign of non compliance and I was out of the program. My 10 day follow-up was today (since 10 days was over the weekend). He told me I’m doing better and lost more than expected. I get to start on cottage cheese, eggs, and yogurt this Friday.
All of this to say I highly recommend you following EXACTLY what the doctor says. It’s not the first time for them. They know what works. Don’t sabotage yourself before you even get started!! Good luck and best wishes

My doc is the same. I can have one very low calorie low Protein Shake a day, and only Clear Liquids. I am on day 9 and it is a struggle some days but I have lost 15lbs and my surgery is Thurs. Then one week of clear liquids and a Protein Water and one week of clear liquids and Proteins shake. Can't wait to eat again!

Jenfs5, I'm so happy to hear that your surgery went well and that it is getting easier to drink your fluids. It sounds like your hubby is taking good care of you as you recover![emoji175] Hoping it continues to get easier to get the Protein & liquids in.
Thanks Candace! I'm getting better at liquids but protein is still way too low.... gonna keep trying though!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app