Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 hours ago, SunnyinSC said:

My plan is weird (in comparison to the others on here). I had no pre-op diet and was only on liquids for a day and a half. The hospital released me on pureed. I'm on pureed for 4 weeks. Then move to soft. I also can't wait to eat something with a texture. Right now I have sugar free popsicles that I eat like.. one a day of, just to get a crunch from something. I was telling hubby at this point I'd gladly do salads, veggies and the like, just to get some texture variety. All part of the process though!

I'm surprised by reading so many posts on how fast the drs are having people eat. But every facility has their own guidelines. What's odd, puree is kind of a soft diet? I'm totally on Clear Liquids - I'm not hungry, but my head like feed me.. Lol. But I'll get there and you will too. 🤗

Surgery June 14th. Couldn’t keep down anything first 4 days. Brewed some Decaf black tea drank a few sips. After it cooled added zero sugar lemonade. It stayed down. No more vomiting since then!

image-0.0010728836059570312.jpg

14 hours ago, Darcie J. said:

I'm surprised by reading so many posts on how fast the drs are having people eat. But every facility has their own guidelines. What's odd, puree is kind of a soft diet? I'm totally on Clear Liquids - I'm not hungry, but my head like feed me.. Lol. But I'll get there and you will too. 🤗

Yeah, I have no clue. I got worried at first cause my plan was so very different, but my doctor has also been doing this for a long time (25 years) and teaches at a medical university so I'm sure he's got his reasons for the methods. Puree is sort of soft, but more like constant baby food. When I get to "graduate" to soft it'll actually be whole foods, just ones that are softer, if that makes any sense, lol. I'll get to eat things like shellfish, chicken, turkey, lunchmeats, cheeses and Soups, without having to puree them to baby food consistency first. They do need to be chopped into smaller pieces, but not pureed.

I do get hungry now, but it's not like.. keep me awake at night hunger like it use to be pre-surgery. It usually only comes if I've been bad and forgotten to eat my puree dinner until much later. If I eat on a schedule then I'm not hungry at all. The trouble with trying to eat on a strict schedule is that sometimes I'm bloated/uncomfortable by the time a certain meal is suppose to come around. I've had a lot of gas discomfort/bloating (I wouldn't call it pain) in my intestines and such since surgery. Comes after eating or drinking anything, stays for a while, and then passes. Even Water makes me feel bloated. Fingers crossed it'll eventually go away. It has gotten a bit better since surgery so looking hopeful at least!

Edited by SunnyinSC

1 hour ago, Monique050406 said:

Surgery June 14th. Couldn’t keep down anything first 4 days. Brewed some Decaf black tea drank a few sips. After it cooled added zero sugar lemonade. It stayed down. No more vomiting since then!

image-0.0010728836059570312.jpg

Glad you found something you can keep down! That sounds like a good combo too :)

8 minutes ago, SunnyinSC said:

Yeah, I have no clue. I got worried at first cause my plan was so very different, but my doctor has also been doing this for a long time (25 years) and teaches at a medical university so I'm sure he's got his reasons for the methods. Puree is sort of soft, but more like constant baby food. When I get to "graduate" to soft it'll actually be whole foods, just ones that are softer, if that makes any sense, lol. I'll get to eat things like shellfish, chicken, turkey, lunchmeats, cheeses and Soups, without having to puree them to baby food consistency first. They do need to be chopped into smaller pieces, but not pureed.

I do get hungry now, but it's not like.. keep me awake at night hunger like it use to be pre-surgery. It usually only comes if I've been bad and forgotten to eat my puree dinner until much later. If I eat on a schedule then I'm not hungry at all. The trouble with trying to eat on a strict schedule is that sometimes I'm bloated/uncomfortable by the time a certain meal is suppose to come around. I've had a lot of gas discomfort/bloating (I wouldn't call it pain) in my intestines and such since surgery. Comes after eating or drinking anything, stays for a while, and then passes. Even Water makes me feel bloated. Fingers crossed it'll eventually go away. It has gotten a bit better since surgery so looking hopeful at least!

As time passes by things will definitely get better. Glad your doing good. 🤗

18 hours ago, SunnyinSC said:

My plan is weird (in comparison to the others on here). I had no pre-op diet and was only on liquids for a day and a half. The hospital released me on pureed. I'm on pureed for 4 weeks. Then move to soft. I also can't wait to eat something with a texture. Right now I have sugar free popsicles that I eat like.. one a day of, just to get a crunch from something. I was telling hubby at this point I'd gladly do salads, veggies and the like, just to get some texture variety. All part of the process though!

My hospital had me eating a yogurt within 30 hours of surgery and was then sent home with instructions to eat pureed food for 4 weeks - no clear liquid stage. First few days I tolerated things well but today I am feeling quite poorly after, think I've started eating too quickly/too much.

Starting to question the lack of liquid stage but like you, I trust my experienced surgeon knows what he's doing!

4 hours ago, Shrink&Grow said:

My hospital had me eating a yogurt within 30 hours of surgery and was then sent home with instructions to eat pureed food for 4 weeks - no clear liquid stage. First few days I tolerated things well but today I am feeling quite poorly after, think I've started eating too quickly/too much.

Starting to question the lack of liquid stage but like you, I trust my experienced surgeon knows what he's doing!

That does sound a lot like mine! I had surgery at around 10am, then that day had clear liquids for dinner (water throughout the day as requested too). Following day first meal was clear liquids, lunch was liquids (cream of chicken, some yogurt, then Protein shake), and dinner was pureed turkey and pureed green Beans (with some cream of chicken/protein shake/milk on the side). Needless to say I didn't eat all of it. I was dunking the pureed turkey into the cream of chicken too. Pureed turkey on it's own is just.. not for me. I got discharged after dinner, so I didn't stay the second night, but if I had the next full day would be pureed.

I'm sorry to hear you're doing poorly! I can definitely see eating too quickly or too much. I don't have any sort of "full" indicators that I'm aware of yet so I imagine it'd be really easy to eat too much. Too quickly as well. I've been trying to offset that one by buying super small spoons (I got little ice scream spoons off amazon) and then making sure to pause between bites. I don't know if that's helping me at all, but so far so good. I hope you start to feel better soon!

11 hours ago, SunnyinSC said:

That does sound a lot like mine! I had surgery at around 10am, then that day had Clear Liquids for dinner (water throughout the day as requested too). Following day first meal was clear liquids, lunch was liquids (cream of chicken, some yogurt, then Protein shake), and dinner was pureed turkey and pureed green Beans (with some cream of chicken/protein shake/milk on the side). Needless to say I didn't eat all of it. I was dunking the pureed turkey into the cream of chicken too. Pureed turkey on it's own is just.. not for me. I got discharged after dinner, so I didn't stay the second night, but if I had the next full day would be pureed.

I'm sorry to hear you're doing poorly! I can definitely see eating too quickly or too much. I don't have any sort of "full" indicators that I'm aware of yet so I imagine it'd be really easy to eat too much. Too quickly as well. I've been trying to offset that one by buying super small spoons (I got little ice scream spoons off amazon) and then making sure to pause between bites. I don't know if that's helping me at all, but so far so good. I hope you start to feel better soon!

So so much better today, thank you ☺️ Guess it's all part of the experimenting stage, little spoons is the key! I think I'm going to have to watch out for any sneaky fats, and remember I'm not even a week out so need to be patient and keep things simple!

Heading to the surgical center! Feeling excited and nervous for what’s to come, but more grateful for my body. I’m so grateful for all it has done for me and birthing 3 children. Good luck to all us June 21, 2021 suregies!! 😚

That does sound a lot like mine! I had surgery at around 10am, then that day had clear liquids for dinner (water throughout the day as requested too). Following day first meal was clear liquids, lunch was liquids (cream of chicken, some yogurt, then Protein shake), and dinner was pureed turkey and pureed green Beans (with some cream of chicken/protein shake/milk on the side). Needless to say I didn't eat all of it. I was dunking the pureed turkey into the cream of chicken too. Pureed turkey on it's own is just.. not for me. I got discharged after dinner, so I didn't stay the second night, but if I had the next full day would be pureed.
That's a really good idea! Small spoons! [emoji3]

On 6/20/2021 at 2:02 PM, SunnyinSC said:

Oh my gosh I just started getting the same issue...every time I eat something, about 5-10 minutes later, I get lower abdominal gas...the kind you get sometimes before diarrhea. But then it just goes away after about 5-10 minutes. Plus I think I'm intolerant to the whey Protein in supplements so I just ordered an egg protein based supplement because I'm definitely not getting enough protein.

Oh and I'm on the same post-op diet as you. They had me on full liquids for 7 days after I went home, then on pureed for 7 days and now I'm in the soft food stage and it should be much easier but this stage is where all the intestinal distress has come into play so I'm going to try and switch up what I'm eating...lean away from the yogurt and cottage cheese and canned chicken and try some flaky fish, more Soups and some soft cheese.

I was on clear liquids for 4 days post op then full liquids for 2 weeks and then soft diet for 4 weeks before transitioning to maintenance. Currently I’ve been in the soft foods stage for 4 days. Initially, I had a LOT of intestinal discomfort and diarrhea until I figured out that I am now lactose intolerance. Once I eliminated dairy products with lactose as well as the Premier Protein shakes things started to steadily improve. Taking Lactaid tablets before eating dairy helped very little, if at all. Today, for the first time since surgery, my BM was not all diarrhea. My GI tract still grumbles, gurgles and growls a lot but feels much better overall and seems to be adjusting to my “new normal.”