Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are people afraid of atheism?

I'm very impressed with this discussion. Thanks to all of you have been willing to participate and help to enlighten us on some of the actions of the ACLU.

It is very frustrating to listen to (and read) people rant and rave about how horrible it is that the ACLU "supports" an organization like NAMBLA. Then they go on to denounce every speck of work that the ACLU has ever done and make outrageous remarks about anyone who would support the ACLU.

It is also amazing to realize how many people are sucked in by the right wing pundits who are leading the charge against the ACLU and other organizations because they use guilt to make people feel unchristian and unpatriotic if they do not embrace their views.

I am sick to death of how the right wing has taken Americans by the throat and declared that if they don't vote for a war veteran (for instance) and a person who is a fundamentalist Christian, we are bad people and unpatriotic and should be run out of this country.

We've got to stop all this extremism and intolerance and use our heads instead of letting a few wackos use our heads for their own interests.

We should vote for an inexperienced politician based on the color of his skin or perhaps because of their gender. That's much more logical and intelligent.

Gosh...before you condemn christianity, maybe you should read the Bible...and read it with an open mind. I clicked on this thread-just curious why someone wrote about such a topic on a lap band website...wow! You folks seem very unhappy and sad. I feel so badly for you. It takes way more faith to believe in this "big bang" theory than it does to believe in Christ. Maybe you could do a little more research. I have found that almost all people who don't believe in God, are angry at Him. One day, we will all know the truth. Just look around you. He made a absolutely beautiful world for us. Everytime I walk outside and see the beatiful flowers & creatures...I know He created those. What about the miracle of birth? Are we so arogant to think that we created ourselves? I am not trying to offend anyone, but if you will really look, and you don't even have to look hard...you can see God's love all around you. Why don't you just give Him a chance- just for the heck of it. What can it hurt?

Comments like that suggest that you do vote for political candidates because of the the colour of their skin or their gender. The problem with the far right is no matter how hard they try and pretend they have a political agenda based on a high moral order it's hard to hide the racism and sexism lurking behind the curtain.

I have found that almost all people who don't believe in God, are angry at Him.

:) You can't be angry at something that doesn't exist.

All the pretty flowers guarantee that God exists, I was an athiest until just now. How could I have forgotten about the flowers. I am not trying to offend anyone but what about the pretty flowers?

btw-i wasn't trying to convince you that there is a God. it's obvious how closed-minded and angry you are. i wasn't always a beliver...but, life is much better knowing the truth. i guess you are hell-bent on dis-believing, so more power to you. maybe you are right and i am wrong and a bunch of stars and planets smacked into each other and all of a sudden these intricately designed people, creatures and "pretty flowers" just all of a sudden appeared! wow! now that takes faith! good luck with that!

wow-angry and sad...

:)

P.S. My parents created me. Who created your God?

are you serious? who created your parents, and who created their parents and so on? why not read the Bible and find out who created God? why not read it-just out of curiousity? if you don't believe it, then why not just for kicks-read it. why don't you believe in God? is there one specific reason, or are there several reasons? i am just curious. i am not patronizing you. i just don't know any other way of life. how do you think we got here? i know...you parents created you...but, from the beginning? i just wonder what an aethist believes.

LOL! What makes you think that atheists haven't read the bible? I've read it several times and in several versions and spent quite a bit of time in bible study classes, before they kicked me out for asking too many "hard" questions and "disturbing the faith of others". The bible is probably one of THE main reasons that I don't believe in a god. Well that and logic...

All the pretty flowers guarantee that God exists, I was an athiest until just now. How could I have forgotten about the flowers. I am not trying to offend anyone but what about the pretty flowers?

I wonder how pretty the flowers are in Dafur? Do you think all it takes for those people is to look around them and see the hand of god?

oh i see...that makes sense. so what is your logic. you didn't answer my questions. what does an atheist believe? i studied it too. i never said that atheist don't ever read the Bible. i only asked you to read it. now i know you read it, okay? why do you get so angry and smirk at me? i just don't know what you believe. perhaps if i knew what an atheist believes, then i wouldn't be so naive. i have read the Bible several times also...and believe it or not, i have quesitons too. i am not your average stereo-type Bible thumping barefoot uneducated hypocrit that gives Christians a bad name. i actually graduated from college with a 4.7 average...not bragging, but just giving my background so you won't think you are dealing with a dummy. i read the same book you read and it changed my life. i understand you having questions. i got mad as hell when God didn't let moses enter the promised land after he wandered in the wilderness for 40 years with those idiots. and many more questions...but it still changed my life. i am not smirking at you or trying to convince you of anything. i just want to understand your logic...what your belief system is...just wanting you to educate me on what you think the truth is. please don't be so angry at me for having my beliefs and wanting to understand yours.

My Goodness you sound very angry, I just wanted to have a little fun but your anger seems to make you incapable of seeing humour. I think you need to get over the whole Moses thing, as much as I can understand how that would make you angry, especially when you include that he had to spend time with idiots, still this episode in biblical mythology seems to have impacted your outlook.