Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The ins and outs of loose skin: NS treatments, Inconveniences and issues



Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone

I am just 3 days post-op and have been reading a lot about loose skin, mostly about how much people have once reaching their goal and whether to have PS. I realize surgery is the only proven way to address loose skin but I’ve heard some anecdotal reports of other methods too that may help minimize it.

I haven’t seen many posts talking about what non surgical treatments people have tried that may have helped at all (collagen, compression clothes, exercise etc) and to what extent you felt any improvement. Also what problems or annoyances you have had with loose skin (is it bulky through the clothes, is it uncomfortable to exercise) and what you did to help this before or instead of surgery.
Hearing everyone’s successes has me looking forward to nice fitting stylish clothes and moving my body in a way that has not felt comfortable for at least 10 years. But I also want to learn whatever might work to reduce the loose skin or tools to help deal with it. Thanks in advance for everyone’s input.

Edited by Pilot my best self

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it really depends on how much you lose and how long you were obese. And to some extent, age, too (younger people usually have more elasticity in their skin - but then again, if you're talking well north of 100 lbs, that skin is probably stretched beyond the point of "bouncing back"). I lost over 200 lbs, was obese since college and severely obese since my 30s (I'm now in my 60s) - so my skin was stretched well beyond the point of any treatment other than plastic surgery.

So for me, at least, I had a ton of it, so surgery was the only solution. I looked fine in most clothes - here, in this picture, I wore the usual 3/4 length (or longer) sleeves and a slightly oversized, long-ish top (most of my loose skin was in my torso, since I was apple-shaped). I never really had issues with my hips, butt, or legs, so I wore tight or brightly colored pants to draw attention to them instead of my gut (and to answer another question - yes - it was a bit uncomfortable to exercise - my stomach skin would slap against my body - one of the main reasons I went ahead with plastic surgery)

this picture was taken BEFORE I had plastic surgery - so as you can see, no one would have noticed all the loose skin. My clothes hid it well. The only people who knew it was there were me, my husband, and my doctor.zjune2017.thumb.JPG.fc7f7078a80989ba63655a7710789058.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Pilot my best self said:

Also what problems or annoyances you have had with loose skin (is it bulky through the clothes, is it uncomfortable to exercise)

Truth be told, I didn't really have any problems per se. Just annoyances. I hated the way my arms looked in sleeveless tops...but it's existence didn't prevent nor get in the way of me from actually doing anything at all, exercise included. It was all just for looks...well except maybe the boob lift, which had many benefits aside from looks.

Besides the arms, all other excess-skinned body parts I had little love for could easily be tucked away under clothes (with or without compression gear). Except maybe my "fupa" (the fat/skin on top of your pubic area). I sometimes felt like it looked like I was packing a penis when I wore leggings or a really tight skirt/dress, lol. I did get this addressed during my Tummy Tuck, so its all good now.

Now my (minor) annoyances are my saggy/flat butt and soft/flappy upper inner thighs. But they don't bug me so so much that I want any further PS to address them. So yeah, its all good now.

Here's a before and after my TT...I probably could have been perfectly happy without it, but I wanted to be reeeeeeaaaaaaallllllllyy happy. You can see the fupa thing I was talking about....

IMG_0759.thumb.jpg.bb8705863959765873aeebc44682323e.jpg

Edited by ms.sss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2021 at 1:00 PM, catwoman7 said:

it really depends on how much you lose and how long you were obese. And to some extent, age, too (younger people usually have more elasticity in their skin - but then again, if you're talking well north of 100 lbs, that skin is probably stretched beyond the point of "bouncing back"). I lost over 200 lbs, was obese since college and severely obese since my 30s (I'm now in my 60s) - so my skin was stretched well beyond the point of any treatment other than plastic surgery.

So for me, at least, I had a ton of it, so surgery was the only solution. I looked fine in most clothes - here, in this picture, I wore the usual 3/4 length (or longer) sleeves and a slightly oversized, long-ish top (most of my loose skin was in my torso, since I was apple-shaped). I never really had issues with my hips, butt, or legs, so I wore tight or brightly colored pants to draw attention to them instead of my gut (and to answer another question - yes - it was a bit uncomfortable to exercise - my stomach skin would slap against my body - one of the main reasons I went ahead with plastic surgery)

this picture was taken BEFORE I had plastic surgery - so as you can see, no one would have noticed all the loose skin. My clothes hid it well. The only people who knew it was there were me, my husband, and my doctor.zjune2017.thumb.JPG.fc7f7078a80989ba63655a7710789058.JPG

First, you look amazing. I would not have guessed you were dealing with excess skin. You hid it very well.

I have about 150 I’d like to lose so I suspect will be in a similar situation.

for now, I just need to recover from the bypass surgery. But it is so good to hear others’ experience. Thanks so much for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2021 at 3:17 PM, ms.sss said:

Truth be told, I didn't really have any problems per se. Just annoyances. I hated the way my arms looked in sleeveless tops...but it's existence didn't prevent nor get in the way of me from actually doing anything at all, exercise included. It was all just for looks...well except maybe the boob lift, which had many benefits aside from looks.

Besides the arms, all other excess-skinned body parts I had little love for could easily be tucked away under clothes (with or without compression gear). Except maybe my "fupa" (the fat/skin on top of your pubic area). I sometimes felt like it looked like I was packing a penis when I wore leggings or a really tight skirt/dress, lol. I did get this addressed during my Tummy Tuck, so its all good now.

Now my (minor) annoyances are my saggy/flat butt and soft/flappy upper inner thighs. But they don't bug me so so much that I want any further PS to address them. So yeah, its all good now.

Here's a before and after my TT...I probably could have been perfectly happy without it, but I wanted to be reeeeeeaaaaaaallllllllyy happy. You can see the fupa thing I was talking about....

IMG_0759.thumb.jpg.bb8705863959765873aeebc44682323e.jpg

Oh- just to have that hourglass shape again! You look fantastic even Pre-PS. But you echo all my concerns. Though being 70+ lbs heavier, I expect my skin will be more problematic to just my everyday comfort. It’s a problem I will be glad to see replace my difficulty bending, running and fitting into seats!

Did you rely on compression garments? Did they help or were they uncomfortable?
thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Pilot my best self said:

Did you rely on compression garments? Did they help or were they uncomfortable?

Do you mean after PS? Then yes. My surgeon said I had to wear them for 6 weeks. I actually wore them for almost 6 MONTHS. I developed a bit of a love for them cuz I felt "safe" and cozy in them, if that makes sense. I eventually stopped wearing them because summer came and they didn't go well with my summer wardrobe, LOL.

If you mean after weight loss from WLS, no, not really. I did wear Spanx a couple times when I would wear a very fitted dress or jumpsuit, cuz they do do wonders in smoothing out lumps, but otherwise for every day dressing, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking before PS! I certainly understand how they could make you feel secure. I look forward to adding Spanx to my new wardrobe - it was never worth using g them before. Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×