Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost all of my 2020 regain in the past 2 months!

Hey fellow DSers...

Just a little story from me, a DSer roughly 2 1/2 years out.

I underwent the DS on 8/13/2018, and effortlessly lost over 100% of my excess weight.

So during the 2020 lockdown I think a number of circumstances contributed to me gaining ~30 pounds of regain! I'm not sure when the regain precisely started, probably sometime in April 2020, since I wasn't logging my weight by that time.

Now to the DS's credit, even with that 30 pounds I was still within the "normal" BMI for my height, at around 24 BMI. This regain wasn't disastrous, but I certainly didn't like the trend.

Basically I believe I got overconfident in the DS, and what the DS can do. The DS does have an "achilles-heel" and that's simple refined carbs. The powerful malabsorption properties of the DS are defeated by simple refined grains and simple sugars. In addition, those foods seem to be "slider foods" as I can fill up quickly, but they pass though the sleeve quickly so I'm ready for more.. For some reason (depression, low fat absorption, who knows) I developed quite the sweet tooth, and I ate as much chocolate and candy that I wanted (which was a lot). I also ate processed high-carb-laden frozen foods, grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, pizza, fast-food breakfasts and lunches, etc. I didn't eat a huge amount at once, as I still have good restriction.. but it all added up. Oh and of course no physical activity or exercise.

On around Jan 21st I decided to take control again and got back to basics... eliminated all simple carbs/sugars/etc, logged and counted calories, though I didn't exercise. The DS worked it's magic, and I'll post a screenshot of my weight log over the past 2 months.

The last time I logged my weight in MyFitnessPal was Dec. 7th, 2019 at 133.2 lbs. I'm not sure why I stopped logging - probably because my weight didn't move much at that point. I made it my goal to lose all my regain since that point - so 133.2 lbs. was my goal. It's really a bit low a weight for me, but I wanted to start from where I last left off and rebuild good habits from that point, not a point of regain.

The loss wasn't really that difficult, and I wasn't really all that hungry very often. I still have good restriction - the "cottage cheese" tests seems to indicate I have about a 6.5 oz sleeve capacity, may 7 or 7.5 if pushed or with certain foods, and less with dense Proteins.

I love the DS. Best decision ever.

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.12.08 PM.png

Great reminder to keep up with everything and it's possible to get back on track!

Good job. Keep up the good work.

WOW thats pretty awesome congrats on losing it all!!!

I am doing the same! gained 20 plus during covid.. and now I have been getting back on track the past 6 weeks.. called a meeting with my surgeon... cut out those darn carbs that brought me to this place... lost 7 pounds so far... i really want to lose 20-30 more period... I need to. The carbs really screwed me up with my weight loss... just like you I thought I could eat anything and the DS would keep working, and boy was I wrong.

Hello great job - were you able to post the screenshot of your tracking.

This is me right now! I've only gained a couple pounds but the bad habits forming I know I need to change! So your post has given me much reassurance!!! Thank you!

GREAT job, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

On 3/27/2021 at 9:30 PM, _Shane_ said:

Hey fellow DSers...

I underwent the DS on 8/13/2018, and effortlessly lost over 100% of my excess weight.

So during the 2020 lockdown I think a number of circumstances contributed to me gaining ~30 pounds of regain! I'm not sure when the regain precisely started, probably sometime in April 2020, since I wasn't logging my weight by that time.

Now to the DS's credit, even with that 30 pounds I was still within the "normal" BMI for my height, at around 24 BMI. This regain wasn't disastrous, but I certainly didn't like the trend.

Basically I believe I got overconfident in the DS, and what the DS can do. The DS does have an "achilles-heel" and that's simple refined carbs. The powerful malabsorption properties of the DS are defeated by simple refined grains and simple sugars. In addition, those foods seem to be "slider foods" as I can fill up quickly, but they pass though the sleeve quickly so I'm ready for more.. For some reason (depression, low fat absorption, who knows) I developed quite the sweet tooth, and I ate as much chocolate and candy that I wanted (which was a lot). I also ate processed high-carb-laden frozen foods, grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, pizza, fast-food breakfasts and lunches, etc. I didn't eat a huge amount at once, as I still have good restriction.. but it all added up. Oh and of course no physical activity or exercise.

On around Jan 21st I decided to take control again and got back to basics... eliminated all simple carbs/sugars/etc, logged and counted calories, though I didn't exercise. The DS worked it's magic, and I'll post a screenshot of my weight log over the past 2 months.

The last time I logged my weight in MyFitnessPal was Dec. 7th, 2019 at 133.2 lbs. I'm not sure why I stopped logging - probably because my weight didn't move much at that point. I made it my goal to lose all my regain since that point - so 133.2 lbs. was my goal. It's really a bit low a weight for me, but I wanted to start from where I last left off and rebuild good habits from that point, not a point of regain.

The loss wasn't really that difficult, and I wasn't really all that hungry very often. I still have good restriction - the "cottage cheese" tests seems to indicate I have about a 6.5 oz sleeve capacity, may 7 or 7.5 if pushed or with certain foods, and less with dense Proteins.

I could really use someone to talk to if anyone is willing.

5 hours ago, huskymama said:

I have never heard of the cottage cheese test Id move to learn more!

No idea if the concept is real or not, but...

https://mexicobariatriccenter.com/pouch-test-to-test-your-pouch-size/

On 2/2/2022 at 11:38 PM, Alostkey said:

I could really use someone to talk to if anyone is willing.

Same here! I am 8+ years out and looking to get back to basics after minor regain but never having lost more than 50% of my excess body weight! I never really pushed to try to lose more when I plateaued.

That's fantastic. Great job! Your post is a good reminder that our tool is there for life, and we can count on it to do its job if we do ours.

On 3/27/2021 at 9:30 PM, _Shane_ said:

Hey fellow DSers...

Yay!!!! Me too

I am 20 years out and have experience just about everything that comes with having weight loss surgery. I am also a pharmacist and have been like a community resource for the docs in my circle. It was a struggle to keep the weight off and to get back on track after regain. sw 296 lw: 126 regain weight 177 cw 145-150. But it is possible. Any updates? How’s are journey going now?

I'm 6 years out and trying to get back on track. I've regained about 12 pounds since 2017, enough for me to go from a size medium top to a large. This is my first attempt at self-restricing since my surgery. I lost 80 pounds through the DS, so now it's time for me to take charge on my own. So far, the smaller stomach is proving to be a big help with Portion Control. My weakness is sugar. It's daily challenge. Still, I'm so grateful for my surgery and feel it was a lifesaver.

It has been over four years since I've posted on this site, so just admiting I need to take charge is huge for me.