Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your why?

15 hours ago, Lane McCormack said:

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in December. For me it was the straw. I suffer from PCOS so my weight has always been an issue. I am also going to be a grandmother in April which was my secondary reason. I knew if I didn't do something, I would not be here long term and my health would decline.

I'm proud of you for taking back control of your health and your life. They thought I had PCOS for a while because my periods were so irregular but it turned out it was just because of my weight.

14 hours ago, LoveSimcha said:

I couldn't play with my kids and I realized my inability to move was affecting their weight as well - I want to be here for the day they announce they are getting married. To address my health issues - diabetes, high blood pressure and severe bank pain

I suffer from arthritis so I understand the pain especially. I'm actually on disability and have been for 2 years for pain in my feet and my back and my hips and it unfortunately still continues. But after losing 238 lb the pain is a lot less than it was at 420 lb

14 hours ago, LoveSimcha said:

I couldn't play with my kids and I realized my inability to move was affecting their weight as well - I want to be here for the day they announce they are getting married. To address my health issues - diabetes, high blood pressure and severe bank pain

I applaud you for addressing the issue and taking control and taking care of it for you and for your family. That's a huge step and I commend you

12 hours ago, chiquitatummy said:

To prevent future disease and illness. I was obese and generally healthy but knew I was on the path (like many of my family members) to diabetes and high blood pressure. Watching my mom suffer with her health now is a big motivator for me to do something to prevent being in the place she is in another 15-20 years. Realizing that my weight put me at high risk for Covid was another wake-up call for me.

I was also tired of feeling physically uncomfortable in my body (achy back, feet, hips, etc) and having no energy. I missed doing the things I used to do like hiking, rollerblading, and bike riding. I'd stopped doing them when I got heavy enough that it was painful and physically uncomfortable to be active. I'm only two weeks and a couple days out from surgery and already I can walk without discomfort around my neighborhood. My energy may still be low, but my back and feet don't hurt! It feels amazing!!! I'm remembering how much I used to enjoy being physically active.

I understand that completely I used to walk everywhere but after I gained so much weight it was painful for me to walk. I had arthritis in my feet my hips my back and my knees and I'm only 26 years old at the time. I was always tired and napping most of the day away and very depressed and was even suicidal at one point. It can take a severe toll on your mental health as well. I'm proud of you for breaking the cycle and doing what you need to do for you and your family. Congratulations

10 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

I did NOT want diabetes and my A1C was creeping up with my fasting glucose. Three years prediabetic and the numbers just kept getting worse.

My A1C is 5.0% now. Well into normal. I am so glad I dodged diabetes. Two brothers have it.

My legs were starting to swell with pitted edema...bad. Tops of my feet started to swell up, too. My physical endurance was awful.

My back hurt so bad just doing a regular shopping trip that I had to find a place to sit down halfway through.

I felt old and disabled.

I'm riding horses huntseat and jumping again. I can walk several miles with no issues. I'm riding my bike with my dog again.

At almost 49...I feel younger than I have since I was 30:)

What an amazing story I'm so happy for you. My fiance suffer with cellulitis and gout and it can be very painful. He would get the edema with that as well. He was also diabetic. he passed away in November of 2019 from complications of his weight loss surgery unfortunately. But when he died his diabetes and his CPAP prescription numbers were down to a healthy amount. ironically enough when he died he was the healthiest he'd ever been and he had lost 140 lb in 4 months.

10 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

Finally decided to get it done due to...........High BP, borderline Type 2 Diabetic for years now, tired of being out of breath, my lower back hurting, not being able to do certain activities because I am worried about weight limits, etc. Of course it will be nice to be able to shop in normal stores for clothes again and wear normal clothes as well. So yeah, hoping a lot of positive things come of this.

one of my biggest things was horseback riding I always wanted to go horseback riding but there's a weight limit on the horses and I was always too heavy to go with horseback riding and that took a huge toll on my mental health to not be able to do certain things that I wanted to do. I can totally relate to the back pain I have arthritis in my hips my back my knees and my ankles so I completely understand. Unfortunately some of it has continued after surgery but it has improved tremendously since surgery. I am proud of you for doing what you need to do for your health and to be happy and live your life congratulations.

3 hours ago, victoriaciminelli111 said:

ironically enough when he died he was the healthiest he'd ever been and he had lost 140 lb in 4 months.

So sorry for your loss. 💗

I fly every week for work (at least prior to COVID) and I love to fly for fun and it was super uncomfortable at my size and I am just generally achy and had developed asthma from being so sedentary during the pandemic. I haven't had surgery yet, just going through all the pre-op insurance hoops still, but I've already lost 18 lbs and my asthma is gone, but I'm now more achy from doing more exercise.

1 hour ago, angeleyesdalton said:

I have high blood pressure and I’m tired of taking meds also I’m going to be a empty nester in a few months I know it’s time to get healthy and travel and do more things with my hubby

Congratulations and welcome to the club

2 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I fly every week for work (at least prior to COVID) and I love to fly for fun and it was super uncomfortable at my size and I am just generally achy and had developed asthma from being so sedentary during the pandemic. I haven't had surgery yet, just going through all the pre-op insurance hoops still, but I've already lost 18 lbs and my asthma is gone, but I'm now more achy from doing more exercise.

I'm proud of you I couldn't imagine going through all this during a pandemic

Was the heaviest I had ever been. Got to the point when I’d bend over to tie laces felt like I couldn’t breathe. Plus outweighed my husband by a lot. He is a normal weight. So I could have squished him lol. My heaviest was 238. I’m only 5’4 3/4. Now I’m 138. Best decision I ever made. Only regret was that I should have done this sooner!!

35 minutes ago, Kris77 said:

Got to the point when I’d bend over to tie laces felt like I couldn’t breathe.

Mine is similar...I wanted to be able to put sunscreen on my feet without contorting myself.

My why is pretty complex. I’ve been overweight since I was about 9. At 11 years old I was diagnosed with hashimotos disease and hypothyroidism. I was bullied physically, verbally, and emotionally for years in school due to my weight. As I entered my 20s my cholesterol and blood pressure were creeping up to borderline needing medication. I suffer from horrible depression and anxiety and my poor self image doesn’t help with that at all. Last summer, I reached my highest weight ever of 235 despite regular exercise and attempts to eat healthier. I have just had it with my weight and decided I needed surgical intervention.