Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your why?

On 3/12/2021 at 2:59 PM, David_L said:

Hope this helps some folks. One thing I read not too long ago (and I can't recall where exactly) are the reasons why we do the things we do. This is why I love this topic and thread. Intrinsic vs extrinsic. Saying things like "I want to drop 50lbs so I can get into my old jeans" would be extrinsic whereas "I just want to be at a healthy weight and avoid the long term complications due to excessive weight" would be more intrinsic. These are the things we really have to ponder.

I think that's why we have to see a psychiatrist pre surgery. To make sure our minds are in the right place.

On 3/12/2021 at 3:34 PM, HealthyLifeStyle said:

To get rid of my diabetes. Be able to move around without the use of a cane, or wheelchair. Those are the main things. There are so many others. Too many to list.

I was 25 using a wheelchair and walker. I understand this feeling completely

On 3/13/2021 at 12:01 AM, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

I wanted to stop having daily concerns about things like how I would fit into a chair at work, not being able to play with my kids, feeling exhausted and like every move was like running a marathon. I didn’t feel like how I looked matched how I felt- I didn’t even feel like myself anymore.

I wanted to be able to exercise again. To have some control over my endless cravings. To fit into clothes that I actually liked. To not feel like I never wanted anyone to see me because the first thing they would think is about how fat I was. To know that I can’t fit on an airline seat, when traveling was one of my greatest passions in life.

Four months in and I have no regrets. I’m 110 down, and getting closer to just being “overweight”. To go from a 48 BMI to 33 feels amazing in every way.

Yes it's so hard to be active in your mind but your body doesn't want to cooperate.

On 3/13/2021 at 12:59 AM, Breanne (w 2 pups) said:

For me there was a million things about my life I wanted to change that are affected by my weight, but somehow that all became background noise in my life.

What made me finally decide to sign up for surgery was the sudden clarity that if I could have done it in my own, I already would have. My being overweight has virtually been my reality my whole life and being morbidly obese has been my life for at least a decade. This “issue” is not a passing thing.

Yes I had to surrender to the idea that I've gained and lost hundreds of pounds before. I wanted that cycle to stop.

On 3/13/2021 at 8:28 AM, mswillis5 said:

My wife developed an autoimmune disease that reared it's head last year. One way to help reduce her symptoms was to lose weight. One month after being diagnosed we met with the surgeon and 2 months after that we both had surgery. She has lost 80 lbs since preop and I have lost 85 since preop and 105 overall since last year. Luckily her symptoms are greatly reduced and we are both doing amazing now.

I love that you did it together. We did it together too.

I had been fat my entire life and obese for about 25 years. My moment of clarity was when my Aunt died. She was 88 and in good health up to a year before her death. All at once it hit me that even healthy people die. And I was far from being healthy. Also this was my mother’s sister and her death was very hard on my mom. I decided it would be cruel to take the chance my mom would have to bury her youngest child.

4 minutes ago, Library Girl said:

I had been fat my entire life and obese for about 25 years. My moment of clarity was when my Aunt died. She was 88 and in good health up to a year before her death. All at once it hit me that even healthy people die. And I was far from being healthy. Also this was my mother’s sister and her death was very hard on my mom. I decided it would be cruel to take the chance my mom would have to bury her youngest child.

My reason is that I am too GOOD LOOKING to be FAT! :)

2 minutes ago, Tim C said:

My reason is that I am too GOOD LOOKING to be FAT! :)

An excellent reason 😁

To save my own life! I couldn’t let my kids lose me anymore then they already have due to my weight issues!

I have no weight related diagnoses like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, nothing. What I do have are 2 knees that remind me that they weren't meant to carry this much woman. I have a hip that got dislocated during a "use of force" training at my work...I work in corrections. I have a back that screams at me to take a seat when I want to go for a walk with my dogs. I just want my life back. I love the pretty clothes I can buy at Lane Bryant, Torrid and Catherine's. I just don't want those to be my only clothing options. I am so heavy that my shoe size went up a size and a half. It's time. It's way past time actually. Today was day one of pre-op diet and my surgery is in Mexico at Pompeii on the 30th. I am a little nervous that I won't fit in an airplane seat but I will get to Mexico if I have to crawl. It's just time.

I have almost all the reasons everyone else mentioned in these responses and other than the obvious health reasons, my big one is this -

I want pictures of myself with my mother before she dies.

When my dad was dying, I didn't take any pictures of us together in those last couple years. I was embarrassed and ashamed and that shame robbed me of visual memories. I don't want that to happen ever again.

Same as a lot of other people, I feel like I'm missing out in life. I'm only 34 but avoid most physical things because they're too hard. We live near the Black Hills, and I want to go hiking and camping but I can't keep up. I struggle just walk a mile, and I usually have bad swelling in my legs and feet when I do. Then covid hits, and I keep hearing how severe obesity is a high risk factor and I just kept thinking it would be so stupid to catch it and die in my 30s because I couldn't eat just a little bit less.

Also sex is really uncomfortable for me because of my weight. Even missionary. And goddamnit I want to have more sex with my husband without being in pain 😂

Along with many of the reasons listed before but because I have MS I recently read that having 2 or more comorbidities increases the likelihood I will have another relapse. My First relapse caused me to lose feeling From my belly button down to my foot on the right side. I lost the ability to walk and spent over two weeks in the hospital.
That was in 2013, and it took to 2018 to get back, mostly, to where I was pre-relapse. I am deathly scared of what second relapse will do to my body . So I consider this surgery a preemptive strike to keep any potential relapses away.

of course, I also have my eye on this really cute swimsuit for when I go to the pool or the beach later this summer.🏄🏻‍♀️🏊🏻‍♀️