Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your why?

Did it for a couple of reasons. I considered it multiple times, but was always a bit afraid, but after some health concerns I knew this was the next route. 

I honestly thought that I could do it on my own without surgery. After all I was already starting to lose and years ago I worked my butt off and got down to where I wanted to be. Of course had I stayed there I wouldn't be in the position where I needed to be losing weight again. I'm also much older now and while I was still considered healthy (aside from my weight) some things were starting to head in the wrong direction. My wife really wanted me to look into it for myself, for her, and for our children so I started doing some research. Based on everything I read and heard, plus knowing my previous history of struggle and loss and regain I decided that it was worth giving it a shot. So far it has absolutely been worth it for me and everyone close to me.

Posted (edited)

I am still pre-op, waiting on final approval from insurance, and getting very anxious. Mournful even, of the life I live now, and the foods I enjoy that I won’t enjoy again.
but this thread helps. I’m generally healthy, no issues with BP, cholesterol, GERD, heart or cardiac, only issues areI’m creeping ever closer to diabetes. I want that off the table. And I have sleep apnea. Super low pressure (7 on a scale of 5-30) and can easily be reversed with just 50-75 lbs lost. I’m 34 and want children one day. I want to hike and ride bikes and run and sit comfortably on the floor, play with my nieces and not be exhausted after ONE round of hide and seek, rid myself of back pain, fit into regular sized clothes, wear heels without wanting to cry.
Men reach out very very often on dating apps and I always “self reject” because something in my mind says “he must be joking” or “your body is just a fetish to him.” Maybe I’m way off base with that one but it’s how I feel and I want to be romantically involved with someone again.
I want to sit comfortably in airplanes and not see the “oh God I hope the fat girl doesn’t sit by me” face I often see. Don’t want to hear the “wow you have such a pretty face” comment, knowing what they really mean. (I hope I don’t sound self centered, just highlighting that it’s hard to appreciate things that others seemingly appreciate about me because of my deep insecurity.)

Just so many things. As nervous and sad as I am to have to get to this point to lose weight, I’m still looking forward to all of the above. 🌸

Edited by LizzLosingIt

On 5/9/2021 at 1:28 AM, LizzLosingIt said:

Men reach out very very often on dating apps and I always “self reject” because something in my mind says “he must be joking” or “your body is just a fetish to him.” Maybe I’m way off base with that one but it’s how I feel and I want to be romantically involved with someone again.

Interesting... I'm single and thoughts like yours have crept into my mind, too. I'd think something like, "He must be one of those 'chubby chasers' so he must be a weirdo." Of course, it really should be no more "weird" for men to enjoy chubby bodies than to enjoy slim bodies... the whole slim is best thing is social conditioning. But despite knowing that, I still couldn't get my head to accept that a "normal" man would enjoy my admittedly more-than-just-chubby body.