Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 03/02/2021 at 11:32, Tim C said:

Sorry to hear this but it will get better.

Yeah it sucks so I don’t know if I’m harming myself rather than helping with suck low calorie intake but I can’t force it it hurts. I just know I hit the 3 week stall

10 minutes ago, Wild13 said:

Yeah it sucks so I don’t know if I’m harming myself rather than helping with suck low calorie intake but I can’t force it it hurts. I just know I hit the 3 week stall

10 minutes ago, Wild13 said:

Just now, Tim C said:

LOL....I think I hit the 3 week stall at one week. I have got to stop weighing everyday!

On 3/2/2021 at 5:22 PM, Tim C said:

How many calories are you guys getting in a day on average? I am only one week post op and have a Zoom call with Doctors office today and do not remember hearing a number from surgery to regular diet. Let me hears from you on you caloric story after surgery. Thanks

We had surgery the same day and I'm getting about 420 calories a day. . .each day it's gone up a little. I am hitting my Protein and Water goals, so I'm not too worried. My dietician didn't give me a calorie range, just a list of foods I could eat.

On 03/04/2021 at 07:29, Tim C said:

Don’t do that lol I do it once a week for first month then I’ll gradually try to do it once or twice a month lol I love 14 pounds first two weeks I was exited hit week three only 1

We were encouraged to get 1200 calories a day ASAP after surgery. Took me a couple weeks to get there. Then we stayed at 1200 calories a day until maintenence. I eat 1400-1600 calories a day now, and maintain.

Edited by Creekimp13

On 3/3/2021 at 2:27 AM, Wild13 said:

But I am one of the people having issues eating because when I try something it hits like a rock when I eat it sucks

I struggle to get over 500 to be honest. I'm a bit worried about it so my dietician said more mini Snacks between meals...which goes against my plan dammit! Snacks are what bite me in the backside when it comes to weight, and alcohol.

I am 9 weeks post Op today

For me the first 6 weeks after both my VSG (12/2019) and revision (8/2020) the focus was on protein/water and slowly reintroducing foods. After 6 weeks my calorie goals were 6-900 calories a day and a minimum of 60g of Protein. Now that I’m at goal it’s 1000-1200 a day and a minimum of 90g of protein.

6 hours ago, OAGBPal said:

They want you at 1000-1200 cals for the rest of your life?

Yes. I’m not exercising a whole lot right now due to a surgery right after Christmas and before then I was living a mostly sedentary lifestyle (12hr desk job shifts) with a slow metabolism even before WLS. I seem to maintaining pretty well with that calorie range but should I get back to exercising once cleared I’ll more than likely need to adjust calories with recommendations from my WLS team.

6 hours ago, OAGBPal said:

They want you at 1000-1200 cals for the rest of your life?

Seems a bit low. Not much there if you are having Protein Shakes.

13 minutes ago, Tim C said:

those calorie ranges can and do change depending on how far out you are, how active you are, etc. I've been in maintenance for about four years now, and normally I can maintain at 1500-1700 calories/day, but last summer I was doing a TON of bike riding (1-2 hours a day most days of the week), so I could go over that pretty often (although not WAY over) and still maintain my weight. Not so now since I live in Wisconsin and won't be riding my bike regularly for another month or so. Also, so much depends on age, gender, metabolic level, etc. I know women (in maintenance) who can maintain on 2000 calories, and others who have to stay around 1200 (and a few even lower)

6' 3" HW 382, SW 309 (5/18/20 sleeve), CW 213

So I'm a couple inches taller and weighed a bit more on my surgery date than you, but can share my numbers.

2 week post op liquid diet ~450 cals

Thru 3 months puree/soft foods ~600

Thru 6 months ~900

Now about 10 months out and at goal and maintaining for the last month at ~2000 cals/day

I always hit 60g+ Protein from the beginning and get in about double that now. Hydration always at 64+ oz.

It took 3 months to bump up to 2000 cals after hitting goal. Had to focus on calorie dense items like nuts, cheese, nut butters, etc. That number probably looks crazy now, but you will get there eventually.

Take it easy and don't freak out about exact calorie counts. Hard to screw up the loss in the first few months with the surgery. However, this is the time to learn new habits that can last you a lifetime. The vets here (not me yet) will tell you that the first year is the easy part. Keeping it off years 2-3 and beyond are where your good habits learned now will pay dividends.

3 hours ago, Tim C said:

My days usually consist of

Breakfast- Protein Shake with coffee (165 calories) on occasion I’ll have a smoothie that’s around 200 calories with frozen fruit in it. ~20-30g Protein

1st morning snack- protein or Bone Broth (50-70 calories) ~10-15g protein

2nd morning snack- cottage cheese with fruit or vegetables like cucumbers, peppers, or celery (150 calories) ~15g protein

Lunch- protein Soup packet and salad with light dressing and either seeds or nuts (usually around 250 calories) ~20g protein

Afternoon snack- light Greek yogurt or Protein Bar (80-150 calories) ~15g protein

Dinner- varies from seafood or steak with a side of vegetables to vegetable curries or just snack type foods like cheese and crackers with lunch meat.

Sometimes I’ll have a snack after dinner but just depends on how I feel.

We were told not to count calories, only Protein, sugar, and carbs.

I’m a little over 6 mos post op VSG. I’m now 5’8 and 173. I exercise with at least 40 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes of strength 6 times a week. My surgeon and Nutritionist calculated my BMR last week during my virtual appointment and told me that I should be consuming 1500 calories a day due to my activity level. If i didn’t exercise or had low exercise then my calorie intake would be 1100. Protein goal is still 90 grams a day and my Water is 65+ ounces a day. No mention of carbs or sugars, that’s not their focus.  

I do use vital Proteins collagen peptides in my black coffee every morning and that gets me 9 grams of Protein and you can’t even tell it’s in there.  A friend recommended collagen to help with bowels and yes it does make you very regular which is a great thing