Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories are you guys getting in a day on average? I am only one week post op and have a Zoom call with Doctors office today and do not remember hearing a number from surgery to regular diet. Let me hears from you on you caloric story after surgery. Thanks

I’ve only been averaging 250-300 had one day 900 ( Beans and meat plus shakes ) and had one 500. I’m 20 days post op

But I am one of the people having issues eating because when I try something it hits like a rock when I eat it sucks

1 minute ago, Wild13 said:

But I am one of the people having issues eating because when I try something it hits like a rock when I eat it sucks

I think I am around 650 with Protei shakes, Triple Zero Yogart , Soup and popsicles.

5 minutes ago, Wild13 said:

Sorry to hear this but it will get better.

I am 7 days post op. Calories according to Baritastic app are around 550. My Doctor did not give me calorie goals yet. Only fluid/ Protein goals

22 minutes ago, OAGBPal said:

1,400 a day from day 1 to 6 months. Got permission to dip to 1,200 on days when eating was difficult, but not lower.

After 6 months, it'll be 1,800 until my body doesn't want to lose more weight.

OH WOW! No way I am getting in that amount of calories for a while unless I have some bourbon!

Some struggle for a while with a lot of inflammation and resultant high restriction, getting in only in the low hundreds per day for a while, and others have a more nominal recovery and can consume somewhat more (not that one shoule necessarily be eating as much as one can!) I was around 900 within a week or two and settled at 1100 for the rest of the loss phase - but that's with a decent guy's metabolism and it still provided a large caloric deficit to drive the loss to its conclusion. Others, particularly women but some heavier guys too, need to stay a little lower - 6-800 it often sited - to ensure adequate caloric deficit through to goal (loss rate tends to decline over time as our total metabolism declines some with declining weight, so it's good to leave some margin.)

My general philosophy on it is that if you have a decent idea of what your metabolism was prior to surgery (ideally from tracking your intake over time, rather than those weight based calculators which tell you what it should be rather than what it actually is,) that can be a good guide as to how far you can permit yourself to go calorically over time My weight was stable in the 26-2800 calorie range prior to surgery, and dropped with my weight to where I am now, stable around 2000-2200, so I still had a healthy margin to play with keeping at 1100 to lose. Some whose metabolism started around 16-1800 has a lot less margin to work with and needs to stay somewhat lower, and would seriously struggle at 12-1400 as some programs advise. It's not a one-size-fits-all world.

2 hours ago, OAGBPal said:

;) It's really not that hard. But I get it, and I get why you guys say this.

We I am still on full liquids so 1400-1800 calories day would be a stretch

they never gave us a calorie range - we were supposed to focus on Protein and fluids only the first few weeks. Although I know after the first month or so, a lot of people seem to be in the 600-800 range for awhile - and then gradually up from there.

8 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

they never gave us a calorie range - we were supposed to focus on Protein and fluids only the first few weeks. Although I know after the first month or so, a lot of people seem to be in the 600-800 range for awhile - and then gradually up from there.

8 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

Thanks...Yeah 60 G of Protein and 64 oz of liquid. That's all for the next few weeks.

Edited by Tim C

53 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

That’s exactly what my program does as well. They are actually quite reluctant to give a calorie count because they are worried folks will just focus on the calories and not worry about the Protein and eating nutrient-dense foods. They really emphasize at least 65 g of protein and 64 oz of liquid. I’m at nearly 7 weeks post op and I would say I’m in the 600-700 range of calories and usually able to get close to 70 g of protein a day and 64-80 oz of liquid.

3 minutes ago, Crick said:

That’s exactly what my program does as well. They are actually quite reluctant to give a calorie count because they are worried folks will just focus on the calories and not worry about the Protein and eating nutrient-dense foods. They really emphasize at least 65 g of Protein and 64 oz of liquid. I’m at nearly 7 weeks post op and I would say I’m in the 600-700 range of calories and usually able to get close to 70 g of protein a day and 64-80 oz of liquid.

How much weight have you lost since your surgery?

2 minutes ago, Tim C said:

How much weight have you lost since your surgery?

Well, I haven’t weighed myself for this week, but as of last week at 6 weeks I was down about 32 lbs from my surgery. I only weigh myself once a week right now so as not to obsess over slight daily fluctuations. I will admit that I lost 6 lbs the week of the big freeze here in TX - think my body was burning through some extra fat that week to try to stay warm, lol. I really lost the majority of the weight before I even met with my surgeon for the first time in late October - think I only lost 20 lbs from there until surgery. I had done a wellness program sponsored by my employer that was free that had quarterly meetings with a doctor and a nutritionist so I was able to use that to get approved pretty quickly for surgery - could have even done the surgery at year end but I wanted to be able to enjoy Christmas without being on a liquid diet.

On 03/02/2021 at 11:30, Tim C said:

I think I am around 650 with Protei shakes, Triple Zero Yogart , Soup and popsicles.

I wish but I can’t stand yogurt