Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery a week out and having second thoughts.

Hello,

one week out from vsg and having severe cold feet. Worried about the future and long term complications as I’m young M27. Starting weight 377

How is everyone doing. Any tips?

I’m worried about regret.

I'm sorry - It does sounds like cold feet. You are young and in my eyes - that is all the more reason to do this. The old saying - you have your whole life ahead of you. Now is the best time to keep those nasty health issues at bay - before they even crop up (hopefully you haven't seen them yet). Maybe speak to a counselor or therapist? I wish they had these available when I was younger - or at least more main stream. I wish you luck and please remember the reason why you sought this in the first place.

Edited by LoveSimcha

Just now, Bgold said:

Thank You,

Big push for me is besides my obesity I am in great health and want to get this done before other issues pop up. I know I’m on a bad path.

ive always been a worrier now that it’s here I’m just having a bit of a freak out.

Hugs hun. I know what is going through your mind. I was always heavy at at your age I was very heavy but surprisingly healthy. Fast forward 20 years and I have bad diabetes, high blood pressure, can barely walk or stand, high cholesterol. If only I would have attacked my weight head on at that age - I can't go back in time. Wishing you luck - talk to people and get their experiences.

You'll get through this ok! The most frequent comment I read/ hear is "why didn't I do this sooner?" As someone who has yo-yoed in my weight throughout my life, getting healthy sooner rather than later is for the best I think.

having cold feet before a surgery is pretty common. I freak out before every surgery I've had. I can tell you that most people consider this the best decision they've ever made and their only regret is that they didn't do it sooner.

I am 42 M and had similar thoughts. I put off even considering surgery for 3 years. I tried a bunch of dieting and exercise medications testosterone etc. I was pretty healthy at 29. I did sprint triathlons t try to stay in shape but couldn't really lose the weight. Then at 40 I had high blood pressure, borderline cholesterol issues, sleep apnea, tendonitis in my ankles, which got worse with more weight, knee problems. I was not going to become diabetic like my parents etc. I am only 5 weeks past surgery but I'm down 55lbs from my heaviest weight and down 23 from my surgery weight. I feel great. I'm down 2 pant sizes, my blood pressure is so good I don't need the meds anymore, my tendinitis is way better. My wife and I are happier if you know what I mean. Yes I miss eating big portions of food and I miss some foods that I won't be eating for quite a while, but everything I have gained in the last two months is way more valuable to my quality of life than the bites I am not taking.

I can speak to long term effects but the short term now is well worth it. Maintaing the diet is some work but it is a relief that I don't have to worry whether or not I'm going to see results this week. There are challenges to navigate but the benefits to your lifestyle are so much better. Plus we are saving a decent amount of money on groceries and there is always leftovers for lunch.

1 hour ago, Bgold said:

Hello,

one week out from vsg and having severe cold feet. Worried about the future and long term complications as I’m young M27. Starting weight 377

How is everyone doing. Any tips?

I’m worried about regret.

If you think you can lose weight on your own and KEEP IT OFF, by all means go for it. I tried that for 44 years and only gained back anything I lost, plus more. Last year, at 67 years old, I had the VSG. My only regret is not doing it sooner. Good luck to you with whatever you decide!

It's definitely normal to have cold feet before surgery! I certainly did. On the day of my surgery, I was lying there with an IV in my arm, thinking, "Holy crap, am I actually going through with this?!" Having surgery is a very personal decision that only you can make, but I'm sure you had very good reasons for going down this path. For most of us, it's a pretty lengthy process to get approval, pre-op testing, etc., so you've had a lot of time to think about it from a calm and rational standpoint, considering all of the pros and cons. Remember your reasons and don't let fear and worry cloud your judgment.

It took me 15 years from the time I first looked into WLS until I actually went through with it, and like so many people, I regret not doing it sooner. I've missed out on so many things in life because of my weight. I had generally good health for a long time, but what pushed me to finally get the surgery was that my health started to decline and I realized there was no way I could lose enough weight on my own.

Just had surgery on 2/24. Easy recovery no regrets. Following the plan to a T.

2 hours ago, Bgold said:

I am in great health and want to get this done before other issues pop up. I know I’m on a bad path.

This is the best possible reason to do it now. I had surgery at age 59 after putting it off for years, and my only regret is that I hadn't done it decades earlier. You are quite lucky to be dealing with this now so that you can have a long and healthy life ahead of you.

For whatever it's worth, I was having second thoughts up to the moment I was wheeled into the operating room. It's normal to feel that way before any surgical procedure.

You definitely aren't alone. I'm going in for a consultation tomorrow, not even surgery itself, and I'm nervous about just that. But I know logically speaking this is the best choice and I don't wanna die of a heart attack in my 30's. I was obese, and had zero health issues in my 20's. Then the last 3-4 years they have just kept coming (I'm 36 now). High blood pressure, pre-diabetic, joint pain, kidney stones, gallstones (I ended up having to get my gallbladder removed).. and the yo-yo dieting has just not worked.

Part of what has been helping me is going through the success stories in this forum. Reading about how people don't have to deal with all these medical issues anymore. How it doesn't hurt to move around and general quality of life improves. I spend a lot of time looking over the Outfit of the Day thread, and before and after photos (thank you to everyone who posts in those!). I am still nervous, but so far I am finding that reminding myself of the reasons why this is the logical choice has been helping me keep focused and keep moving forward.

I cannot advise you, or anyone to have the surgery...it's a personal choice and you have to be extremely committed and ready.

That said? If I could go back in time and have the surgery at 27, I would in a blink.

No regrets. Zero. Nada.

21 hours ago, Bgold said:

Big push for me is besides my obesity I am in great health and want to get this done before other issues pop up. I know I’m on a bad path. 

I wish I would have done this at 27

Congrats in the upcoming surgery

Edited by GreenTealael

Hello, so here are my thoughts!! if your 27 and over 300 pounds you need the surgery even if u think ur healthy other than that the matter is ur still over 300 which u may not see now but that kinda weight on your joints and ur inner organs needs half that weight to go bye bye. I started at 245 and im only 5'4 and had the surgery at age 31 i was healthy other than that( so we say, we say that because we dont have diabetes and other health issues) every time i dieted i lose 20pounds then gain it all back a month later soo i thought i needed the surgery to help me reverse my emotional eatting. Wrong! i lost 70pounds yes but im over 2 years post op and have the same eatting issues i had before and i have horrible joint issues docters said probably brought on by the long term problem from the weight i was constantly carrying on me the effects come later on down the road. I could of lost the weight on my own i just love cheese its to much and hate moving my body! Definition is lazy! I hate hard work. If u can move ur body get on a diet to drastically change ur life now while ur young and can do it. The older u are the more damage surgery has on u. My docter used to say ur not healthy if ur weight is so high even if u dont have other conditions. If u were say 250 or less id say find a good motivating diet join a gym find a hiking buddy and get moving u can do it! But at 377 u lose 20pounds ur not going to get that i just lost a bunch feeling ur weight ia too high i personally think u may need this sugery just to get in to the 200s and then even after u lose 100pounds u will still have to be on a diet forever in a way it will just be different. I thought eatting smaller amounts and whatnot i would never have to diet again but noo im back on here cause i need to lose weight i gained recently and now at 180 im freaking out! Weight creeps up when u learn to cheat on food. The surgery is just a tool but that tool at how high ur weight is will be life changing for you so drastically i hope u do the surgery and i know in a year u will look back and say u are happy u did it. U will have alot of challenges cause its not a walk in the park but theres alot u cant do now at the weight u may not want too but think of it as you can if u want too like horse back riding, sky diving, comfortable on 1 seat on a air plane and so many other things. if half that weight is gone u will have no restrictions on life. At ur age u have ur whole life ahead of u so do it for you! Good luck i hope u make the best decision for you! Think of all the reasons u want to do the surgery not focusing on the 1 reason why u shouldn't the list is so much higher for the positives of why u should. Take care!

Edited by BlueAngelEyes