Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are cream of Soups, the 98% fat free kind, are these ok to eat while on the pre-op diet? They seem to have a lot of carbs and sodium but I know people use those are their staple. I bought a few yesterday and I had a cream of chicken and it was really good. So now I’m worried that maybe I shouldn’t have them? Please help! This also goes for the Sugar Free Chocolate and vanilla puddings, are these ok?

it depends on your surgeon. I wasn't allowed to eat any of that --- just Protein Shakes (4-5 a day), clear broth, ultra-low or no-calorie beverages (with no caffeine), V8/tomato juice (although I think we were limited to a cup of this a day), and sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello

Pre-op plans vary from surgeon to surgeeon/dietician to dietican - you'd be best to clarify with your dietician.

If they are not available, look at your guidelines: mostly higher Protein low carb? Does your Soup / puddings conform to this? if not, you only had it once or twice, you should be fine.

9 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

it depends on your surgeon. I wasn't allowed to eat any of that --- just Protein Shakes (4-5 a day), clear broth, ultra-low or no-calorie beverages (with no caffeine), V8/tomato juice (although I think we were limited to a cup of this a day), and sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello

Yes I have had the sugar free popsicles and Jello just the strawberry and cherry but I didn’t know if the chocolate and vanilla sugar free puddings were allowed. I’ll ask my dietician, thank you.

8 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Pre-op plans vary from surgeon to surgeeon/dietician to dietican - you'd be best to clarify with your dietician.

If they are not available, look at your guidelines: mostly higher Protein low carb? Does your Soup / puddings conform to this? if not, you only had it once or twice, you should be fine.

Thank you

If they aren’t allowed on your pre-op after you talk with your dietitian/surgeon you can always save them post-op. My post-op plan allowed them specifically if I strained out the chunky bits. I always added unflavored Protein Powder to them before straining.

My pre-op was- Protein Shakes, 1-2 cups broth daily, Water or low calorie drinks like crystal light, celery and cucumbers. That’s it, no sugar free Jello or popsicles.

My dietician didn’t give me any specific instructions on what I could and couldn’t eat. I asked her and her answer was very ambiguous so I’m just frustrated. I have been eating sugar free Jello sugar free popsicles sugar free pudding shrimp Protein Shakes tuna and of course a lot of Water. I eating about 600-800 calories a day. I also had chicken breast and ground turkey a few times last week. Then I had cream of chicken Soup yesterday. I did lose about 9 lbs so are over like 6 or 7 days but idk I’m just getting overwhelmed.

Hang in there, Hopeful! You are so close. My pre-op diet was 4 Meal Replacement shakes, non-starchy veggies, broth, and no calorie beverages. sugar free popsicles were not on the list and Soups were a no go. The meal replacement shakes were disgusting and that second week I had to force myself to drink them. I lost 15 pounds during those two weeks. Just keep going for a few more days!💕

It is so interesting to see that everyone's surgeon/plans are so very different.