Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Stapling from 1982!

Hi Y'all. I'm at a loss & don't know where to go. I'm hoping someone here will be able to give me some advice? Here's my story. I had a weight loss surgery clear back in 1982, and it was called, Gastric Exclusion, or more commonly, Stomach Stapling Surgery. I am nearly 40 years post op!! My results were fair, but for sure not worth what I went through & continue going through! Approx. 12 years ago, I had been fighting a stomach ache for weeks. It wasn't horrible, just nagging. Then I went to visit my daughter in southern California, and something about getting on that flight, turned my "nagging stomach ache", into projectile vomiting, & it did not let up until I ended up in a San Diego ER, & they gave me some Protonix, & sent me on my way. Well, that lasted less than an hour, & I was trying to get to my daughters, 80 miles north... well, this projectile vomiting was so bad, and nothing would stop it! Well, the 4 day trip I had planned to go get to know my new grandson, was extended to 10 days, 9 of which were spent in a lovely hospital bed with palm trees outside my window view. They had me with a Naso-gastric tube, the one that goes from your nose into stomach to drain all contents of stomach continuously. On the 8th day, they finally scheduled me with a gastro enterologist, (really?? duh!!) and he did a scope on day 9, and found that one of my staples, had dislodged, and was floating around in my abdominal cavity, and had began boring a hole in my stomach wall!! The doctor who performed the scope dislodged the "staple", and took it out with the scope itself, at which time, my nausea, projectile vomiting and all pain magically went away along with that staple! Well, I was just so happy to have the issues resolved & be on my way back to Colorado, that I didn't bother getting much information about what was the cause & effects, or what to do in the event that I started having similar symptoms again! (finally bringing this to today!) Yeah, you guessed it. I've been having the same type of pain for the past week or so, & I fear it's going to be the same problem rearing it's ugly head again! I actually ended up in the ER a couple days ago, because of horrific abdominal pain, WAY worse than the pain I had 12 years ago, & they admitted me for a night & day for observations & kept me NPO while I was there. They did a CAT scan, & said they "THINK" I have an obstruction that will resolve on it's own. I attempted to tell these ER docs & nurses about my surgery in 1982, but they looked at me like I was from another planet, & just excused the topic. So, my question is, has anyone ever heard anything about this type of complication or ANYTHING 40 years post op, and if not, does anyone know where I could get information on this subject?

I have never heard of anything like this happening before. I do think that you need to get yourself to a Gastro doc ASAP. Make them listed & so a scope!

I’m sorry you are going through this. I don’t have personal experience with this procedure but I have had complications with the procedures I did have and I know it is hard.

You may want to see a bariatric surgeon to see if they can do some kind of revision procedure on you. what you describe sounds similar to a procedure that used to be done that’s called “vertical banded gastroplasty” and I know that many people who had problems with that surgery ended up having revisions.
It sounds like this issue should be fixable. Hope you find answers soon.

I had the stomach stapling in 1984. It was the Vertically Banded Gastroplasty. On the 15th of February I had it revised to a Gastric Bypass and I am doing splendidly. I never had any symptoms like you describe but I did gain my weight back after the 1984 proceedure. The good thing about the Bypass is it is harder to gain weight back.

My surgeon was Dr. Stephen Boyce in Knoxville TN. He was the only surgeon in the state I could find who would tackle my revision. No one else wanted to touch me. I highly recommend him. I'm sure you could fine someone to do a revision for you but for some reason the old surgeries seem to cause most surgeons to shy away.

Good luck.