Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2021 Sleeve Surgery

7 hours ago, Skittle_buttTTV said:

Is there a reason your only having to do the liquid only for 2 days? I have my physical/final visit with Dr on Feb 1st as my surgery is Feb 9 and I have some questions. I am barely over the BMI required to have this surgery but due to a extremely large list of other health problems I am in need of this surgery. So I am scared if I do this diet for 1 entire week i will be under the needed BMI. Anyone else had or have this issue?

I had to get prior approval from my insurance before the doctor could do the surgery. My doctor sent them my starting weight from the first time I was weighed at his office. I have lost 40 pounds since then so I am glad they use the starting weight. Does your insurance company require prior approval? If not can you talk to them and ask if the surgery will be covered?

5 hours ago, Yudelissa said:

Hello everybody my surgery is on February 2nd.. anybody going from a sleeve to a gastric? I’m excited but a bit scared I’m not gonna lie😩

I am having mine on the 2nd also. Very excited to continue on my weight loss journey to become a healthier me.

8 hours ago, NiceAnkles said:

I have no idea why liquid only for 2 days. I honestly expected to go at least a week or two. I do know from reading here that each bariatric practice seems to do things slightly differently. I don't know for sure, of course, but I wonder if your doctor's office will use the weight you started at prior to the liquid diet. They obviously expect that you'd lose some from that.

I go to the office on Feb 1st so I am going to make sure how they do it. Also hospital called me and it is for sure Feb 9th surgery is 7:30am and need to check in at 6am

4 hours ago, softbalmom said:

I had to get prior approval from my insurance before the doctor could do the surgery. My doctor sent them my starting weight from the first time I was weighed at his office. I have lost 40 pounds since then so I am glad they use the starting weight. Does your insurance company require prior approval? If not can you talk to them and ask if the surgery will be covered?

They already got all the approvals. SO am hoping it is starting weight.

On 01/26/2021 at 10:59, Spitfireash said:

I am barely over the BMI requirement as well. The surgeon's office told me that the weight that they log for you on the day of the Pre-Op appointment (physical/final visit) is the weight that gets sent to the insurance. Then it doesn't matter how much weight you lose or if you are under BMI because you are already approved. It sounded weird to me but that is what I got told.

I’m terribly frustrated. When I first went to my surgeon my BMI was over 40. The dietician and bariatric center I went through wanted me to try to lose some weight before my surgery so I was trying very hard to lose some. When the surgeon’s office submitted my paperwork to the insurance company, they denied my surgery because my BMI was 37 with no acceptable comorbidities. I’m pre-diabetic and I do have very bad sleep apnea so the surgeon’s office is trying to submit my sleep study to see if I’ll be approved. To be honest, I’m not holding my breath because they may not take that as well. I’m so angry that had I known my insurance wouldn’t look at the big picture and see my initial weight then I wouldn’t have struggled so very hard to lose those pounds they asked me to. I’m telling you this so you won’t have to deal with what I’m going through right now. My husband said we’ll pay out of pocket for my surgery if we have to since I’ve been working so hard for this for such a long time.

8 hours ago, Dogmom68 said:

I’m terribly frustrated. When I first went to my surgeon my BMI was over 40. The dietician and bariatric center I went through wanted me to try to lose some weight before my surgery so I was trying very hard to lose some. When the surgeon’s office submitted my paperwork to the insurance company, they denied my surgery because my BMI was 37 with no acceptable comorbidities. I’m pre-diabetic and I do have very bad sleep apnea so the surgeon’s office is trying to submit my sleep study to see if I’ll be approved. To be honest, I’m not holding my breath because they may not take that as well. I’m so angry that had I known my insurance wouldn’t look at the big picture and see my initial weight then I wouldn’t have struggled so very hard to lose those pounds they asked me to. I’m telling you this so you won’t have to deal with what I’m going through right now. My husband said we’ll pay out of pocket for my surgery if we have to since I’ve been working so hard for this for such a long time.

Don't give up!!. Insurance companies are crazy. My dr had alrdy gotten the approval for mine. They told me from the beginning that he wouldnt have called me back on for my 2nd appt if they hadn't. Sounds to me like you have a great husband there :) Don't stop losing weight. Even if that means you have to wait an extra month or 2. Do this for yourself friend. I have faith in you and I know you can over come a lot of the crude the insurance is trying to throw at you. If you just need to vent cry scream or yell give me a shout out..

26 minutes ago, Skittle_buttTTV said:

Don't give up!!. Insurance companies are crazy. My dr had alrdy gotten the approval for mine. They told me from the beginning that he wouldnt have called me back on for my 2nd appt if they hadn't. Sounds to me like you have a great husband there :) Don't stop losing weight. Even if that means you have to wait an extra month or 2. Do this for yourself friend. I have faith in you and I know you can over come a lot of the crude the insurance is trying to throw at you. If you just need to vent cry scream or yell give me a shout out..

Thank you so much for the encouragement. 💕 I wish my doctor’s office hadn’t waited to submit my paperwork but such is life, I guess. I’m actually doing my pre-op diet since my surgery is supposed to be in less than two weeks. I’m going to do this with or without my insurance so I’m just going to keep on truckin’!!! 😉

19 minutes ago, Dogmom68 said:

Thank you so much for the encouragement. 💕 I wish my doctor’s office hadn’t waited to submit my paperwork but such is life, I guess. I’m actually doing my pre-op diet since my surgery is supposed to be in less than two weeks. I’m going to do this with or without my insurance so I’m just going to keep on truckin’!!! 😉

Keep at it my friend. If you need to let it out, don't hesitate to reach out. I completely understand what you are saying. The doctor initially said try to lose some weight but then it was actually my nutritionist that reminded me not to do that, because then insurance will deny it. I am so irritated, I finally got a hold of the surgery coordinator yesterday and she tells me, "well, the govt. ban has not been lifted yet and we wont know until Feb 1st if it is so don't start your liquid diet until I call you." That's fine and dandy, but they still haven't submitted my paperwork for approval, and told me I'm scheduled for the 8th Feb which now might not happen if the ban isn't lifted. I just feel like I've been strung along and I'm sick of it.

February 5th

4 hours ago, Spitfireash said:

Keep at it my friend. If you need to let it out, don't hesitate to reach out. I completely understand what you are saying. The doctor initially said try to lose some weight but then it was actually my nutritionist that reminded me not to do that, because then insurance will deny it. I am so irritated, I finally got a hold of the surgery coordinator yesterday and she tells me, "well, the govt. ban has not been lifted yet and we wont know until Feb 1st if it is so don't start your liquid diet until I call you." That's fine and dandy, but they still haven't submitted my paperwork for approval, and told me I'm scheduled for the 8th Feb which now might not happen if the ban isn't lifted. I just feel like I've been strung along and I'm sick of it.

Oh no. That's awful Spitfireash. How frustrating for you! I hope you'll get some good direction ASAP.

On 1/26/2021 at 1:25 PM, Spitfireash said:

Let's hope so. Also, did you all have a hard time getting the surgery coordinator to call back and answer questions? My surgeon's coordinator sucks at calling back and answering the phone it seems. I'm almost at the point where I look for another surgeon.

Fortunately everyone at my Dr's Office is wonderful and on top of everything. As a matter of fact since I am just barely over the BMI to haevemy surgery they have instructed me today that I will not be doing the 1 week pre-op diet. I just have to do the Clear Liquids the day b4 surgery

On 01/27/2021 at 08:57, Skittle_buttTTV said:

Hey! Guess what happened today?! My insurance company got my sleep study info yesterday and now my surgery is APPROVED!!! I’m thrilled! 😁🎉

On 01/27/2021 at 09:52, Spitfireash said:

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with your surgery team dragging their feet. I would prepare and maybe start some form of liquid diet just in case. ??? Call the surgery scheduler to make sure your info has been sent to your insurance company for approval regardless if there is a ban or not. The approval will be good for awhile so at least you’ll be ready when surgery time rolls around. I completely understand your frustration!
I wanted to let you know that my insurance company finally came through for me today and my surgery was approved! My sleep study info got sent to them yesterday and because my sleep apnea is so bad they approved me. Keep your eyes on your goal and put your foot down if it’s needed. Sometimes we just have to take control and be our own healthcare advocate. You’ve worked hard for your goal and you CAN reach it! Best wishes and keep me updated! 💕

On 1/25/2021 at 5:37 PM, FINFAN3DP said:

Wow, that is such a wierd diet. My surgery is this Friday, and I don't have to do any of that.

hope your surgery went well and you are recovering quickly