Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Current Bandsters - Am I over reacting? (Pre-op concerns)-

Hi everyone,

I need to know what you think of the below and whether or not I am over reacting.

My doctor primarily works in a different city (about 5 hours away), although he flies in once a month for a few days to see patients and do surgery.

Insurance has been approved. I was repeatedly assured, as recently as last Thursday, that he would be doing surgery in my city on Dec 21st, which was great because it would give me until Jan 2nd to recuperate.

When the lady called officially today to schedule, she said he was doing it Dec 28th. How does that change between Thursday and Monday?

That give me Friday-Tuesday (Jan 1st) to recuperate and I would have to be back to work the following Wednesday. I can't take off longer than that because I can't miss the first 4 of 5 days of the month in my field. He always does surgery and followup appts around the last weekend of the month in Houston. He is in Dallas the rest of the time. So even if I did the surgery a different month, I still wouldn't be able to take off much time (plus insurance would have to be reapproved for 2008)

I work in an office , so its possible that having fewer days to recuperate may be okay. I've seen some say they can go back after the weekend, others seem to need longer.

Also, the office emailed the consent form to me to sign and fax back "as soon as possible". Well, I haven't had my pre-op appt with the doctor, so why would I sign a consent form stating that I had, and that we had discussed my individual situation and the risks, etc (which are mentioned in the letter)?

So now that has me questioning whether I should go ahead with this. Will it be a rush job - see as many patients as possible on that day, and fly back that evening?

I am putting my life in somebody else's hands, and I'm a single mother.

I want to make sure I am dealing with a reputable doctor, and not an "in and out" processing plant.

There are supposed to be other Houston doctors that are on call should an emergency come up. Actually, other doctors located in Houston are affiliated with this company, but the one whose seminar I attended happened to be the one located primarily in the Dallas.

Also, my first followup is after 1 month. How often do you normally have follow ups? Is it just assumed that everything is okay for the first month after surgery? Again, I guess they are there for me to call, but is that a red flag or is that normal?

I could just be jittery and ready for it to be over, and hate it being put off another week because that gives me another week to worry about the risks.

Also, now, my surgery will be done when my father is out of town with the grandkids (my son included). I still have my mom, but my dad and I are really close and I know he liked the fact that he would be in town on the 21st.

Any and all comments about all of the above are welcome.

I did call back and talk to the office, and they said that I do not have to sign the consent form in advance. I can bring it to my pre-op appointment, and sign it after I talk to him. She said it had never been a problem before, but if I felt more comfortable waiting, I could.

She also assured me that he had no deaths or stomach perforations.

So I guess I feel a little better.

Still would like opinions on everything else though!

I began in March and my surgeon was one of the lecturers at the seminar I attended so I knew what he looked like. But I never saw him again until about two weeks before my surgery, at the end of September.

I communicated with his Bariatric Center--but I found that he was extremely thorough in that pre-op office visit. He took his time and answered every question I had (but reading these threads sure helped know what to ask!).

I DID have my first post-op appointment at six days, but then again, I had staples which he removed. I understand a lot of doctors use steri-strips which are less labor-intense.

So I guess my question to you, Kimmi, would be: how efficient do you feel his staff is? Did they answer all your questions and seem fully knowledgeable? I think the surgeons are so busy, their staffs are the ones who really "shore" up the offices.

In the end you have to make this decision... (and my date was moved from 10/17 back to 10/09--with my permission, of course). :P

I can't miss the first few days of the month at work either. Any chance you are in Accounting? I am. Anyhow, I had my surgery on Friday, and was back to work the next Tuesday. I could have gone in on Monday with no problem but I had the time so I took it. I had no problems.

I had my surgery Friday and I am back to work today, Monday.

I would have liked to have had 1 more day off.

But I'm doing great and I feel great.

My Dr. wants to see me a week after surgery.

I hope that helps

Kimmi - You will be fine. Dr F is very caring (and recently - very busy). True Results has tripled their volume from when I started this process a year ago, I've been told. They are staffing up to meet the need but you won't find a more caring post op dr than he. I would feel more comfortable having him close by, I do drive an hr to see him / get fills etc.

My post op appt was exactly a month out. I believe this is how he does it, unless problems occur. During that month he called to check on me 4 times (one during a Cowboy game on a Sunday). He is very dedicated, lapbands are all he does - and if there is an emergency I'm sure he & his staff will take care of you.

Hope I help calm some nerves -

Lu~

All of you helped tremendously! I think I started to have a little panic attack, but its better now!

Yes, I am in accounting! Month end close are can't miss days unless you are in a hospital....

I'm glad to hear that some of you had the surgery Friday and were back at work Monday. Due to the new year being on Tuesday, I already took that Monday off. So I won't have to be back until Wednesday.

It's also nice to hear Dr. Felts called to check on you. That makes me feel better.

At least with my work, I'm dealing mostly with paper, and not people, and I can close my office door to keep others from bothering me too much if I'm still not completely up to speed when I return.

Thanks so much!

Thanks to all of you.

I know that many people feel that they physically can go back to work so quickly, but personally I wouldn't. Sometimes I wonder if flipped ports and some other complications are caused by some who try to do too much too soon before stitches have set and things have healed.

Kimmee, Relax. Rescheduling happens around the holidays all the time. If he was taking time off at Christmas, the 1st date made sense; but plans change .. i've had mine moved , too. I, too have to get it in before Jan 1- My employer changes insurance carriers and would have to start over, too.Good Luck !!

Kimmi:

I don't agree with some of the others that have responded to you. I would definitely try to go to a surgeon who is more accessible to you for follow-up, etc. It's not like a gallbladder removal that gets removed, you heal, and they never see you after your stitches are out. This doctor is someone that you will need to see often during the first year for adjustments. I might be spoiled because mine is ten minutes away by car, but that was important to me. My surgeon is part of a Father/Son practice. One of them is always available to help out when you get in trouble and need a partial unfil. Or, if you notice that your weight loss is slowing down, and you are able to eat more than you should, a call to them and within a couple of days I can get a small fill.

Best wishes to you with your band. I love mine!

Sue

I realize this post is a year old and I am sure kimmi had surgery by now. But for me, I could not go back to work a couple of days after surgery. I know there are some people who have the energy and stamina to do that, but that is not me.

I am taking two weeks off work and I see the doctor post-op on November 26th.:cool: