Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else as disappointed...

It can be so frustrating when it is not dropping off as fast as either you believe it should, or compared to other people's experience. I am older (61), have crappy knees and a long time thyroid condition, so my expectations going in were tempered by those realities. I'm 6 months out and have lost about 50 pounds since the surgery, 60 including the pre-op.

I found when I hit about 40 pounds down people really started to notice, and that gave me quite a little lift! (Even though I told myself and everyone else "I'm doing this for my health", it is still nice to hear, lol).

I just went through a 3 week stall, I only lost 1.5 pounds in the entire month of July! However, I was getting smaller. I have never been big on tape measures, but I noticed my new clothes were getting looser! I've now lost almost 5 pounds in a week, so there you have it. Water, water, water, walking and some weight training is what I tried to do to keep sane during the stall.

Everyone is going to lose at their own rate. If you are like me, the sane part of you knows that with your calorie and activity level you are going to lose weight, but it almost seems impossible!

I have a friend who started weight watchers in January, and I had the surgery in February. She lost more weight than I did until March. Slowly her weight loss slowed to a stop, and mine has kept going. She has put back on over 5 pounds. I'm not judging, not at all, I have been on that yo-yo ride for years. I'm just pointing out that we all know you can lose weight without this surgery, and most of us have many times over. I am hoping that the physical restriction, coupled with the mental work I am doing now, will make me successful 2 years and 10 years and 20 years from now, and unfortunately due to whatever makes me tick that did not happen with traditional diets.

Sorry for the wordy post, good luck, hang in there, and I'm rooting for you!

20 minutes ago, New&Improved said:

The bypass is different there's alot of research about the bypassing of intestines that resets your set point and the malabsorption and such and yes I did a preop as most people do before surgery; if I include the preop then it took a total of 7 months to lose 157lbs and I've kept that off now over 3 months :)

It is possible but it takes alot of commitment and hard work.

I thought you were leaving. Clearly your commitment isn't nearly what you tout it to be. Again, leave us Sleevers alone. We don't want or need you poisoning our forum with your toxicity.

There are different types of weight loss surgery. The two that predominates are : sleeve and RNY gastric bypass. They are different types of surgery and produce different types of results. In RNY weight loss happens very quickly and almost effortlessly. In sleeve, weight loss is slower and takes quite a bit of effort to stay on track. But sleeve patients can achieve the same result in weight loss as RNY patients.

But the speed of weight loss is not the main issue. The main issue is that once you achieve weight loss, keeping the regain under control. What really matters is the success of maintaining the weight loss long term 5 or 10 years down the road. THAT IS WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT!

-----------------------------------------------------------

According to the rules of BariatricPal:

Weight loss surgery “bashing” is absolutely prohibited. This include, but is not limited to, statements that a specific type of weight loss surgery is:

• Bad or wrong
  • Easier than another type of weight loss surgery or “cheating” when someone is trying to lose weight
  • Out of date or obsolete
  • Doomed to failure

In addition, “bashing” of individuals is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, statements that a person is:

• Lazy for choosing one type of weight loss surgery over another
  • Unprepared for or undeserving of weight loss surgery because of
  • Deserving of complications or disappointing weight loss because of their choice of weight loss surgery

Please abide by these rules.

I am locking this tread because it has deviated from the rules.

14 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

Hey New & Improved...did you realize that it's against forum rules to shame people for their choice of surgery? Now why don't you bugger off with your constant hot takes, lousy opinions, and egotistical attention seeking?

Agreed. New and Improved - you have no idea WHY people chose or have to have one surgery over another ! I will give you an example - RNY involves a by pass of intestine. That causes the body to not be able to absorb both foods and certain medications that may be necessary to continue to LIVE. RNY patients cannot fully absorb medications that are meant to be delivered to the body through the intestines. Personally, I had inquired about RNY 15 years ago and was told I could not have it because of that issue. I was told a new surgery was on the horizon but not readily available - and to wait a few more YEARS. Perhaps to avoid having people jump all over you, you might use the internet to look up things to increase your knowledge base BEFORE you post.

On 08/07/2020 at 06:42, Luv2cruz said:

....As I am with how slowly the weight is coming off? I have been discouraged, but now I’m just getting downright disgusted. I am 10 1/2 weeks postop and have only lost 30 pounds. No, I do not think that is a lot. My surgeon told me that he expected me to be down 100 pounds by Thanksgiving. That is never going to happen.

I have a coworker on weight watchers and she is losing weight faster than I am. I am doing everything right, so I know that is not the problem.

I really don’t want to hear the speeches about how losing slower is better. This is just too slow. 😟 I would just like to hear from the folks that are also losing weight slowly and how you kept it going.

I was a slow loser. I had surgery Feb 5, 2019 and I really wanted to be down to 200 pounds by my vacation in early June. Well I had only lost 40 pounds by then. I was disappointed. I only had 2 months of 10+ pounds weight loss. Every month was more like 8 pounds. In October I complained to my surgeon and he added up the numbers and the time frame. And I had lost 86 pounds in 9 months. By the 1 year mark I had lost 101 pounds. I’m happy. Weight comes off slower now but I feel great.

What helped me more than anything was my measurement log. I measured every other week. I also had to leave Bariatric pal for a while. I am in a group with others who had surgery the same month as me. One of the ladies started doing the whole “omg I can’t stop losing weight I’m so skinny now” Crap at 4 months out. It really messed with my head. Walking away from the group for a few months really helped.

2 minutes ago, ldawn said:

I was a slow loser. I had surgery Feb 5, 2019 and I really wanted to be down to 200 pounds by my vacation in early June. Well I had only lost 40 pounds by then. I was disappointed. I only had 2 months of 10+ pounds weight loss. Every month was more like 8 pounds. In October I complained to my surgeon and he added up the numbers and the time frame. And I had lost 86 pounds in 9 months. By the 1 year mark I had lost 101 pounds. I’m happy. Weight comes off slower now but I feel great.

What helped me more than anything was my measurement log. I measured every other week. I also had to leave Bariatric pal for a while. I am in a group with others who had surgery the same month as me. One of the ladies started doing the whole “omg I can’t stop losing weight I’m so skinny now” Crap at 4 months out. It really messed with my head. Walking away from the group for a few months really helped.

I am 10 years out. Gained some back but maintained a 100 pound weight loss.... now have tackled the re-gain and have lost 41 pounds of 40 regain. AND SOMEONE COMMENTED HERE THAT I SHOULD WEIGH LESS.

I had to laugh. I mean really laugh. He is young, male, and has NO clue what anyone else deals with.

Take away information that is helpful, add to other's journey with concern and maybe a suggestion about what works for you.

Try not to compare yourself with anyone except to your "old self"

Celebrate EVERY Victory

Be Yourself and DO YOU.

BTW - TODAY - I am celebrating by taking Three HUGE bags of PLUS SIZE clothing to the Women's Shelter. GONE AND DONE. NO MORE SIZE 20/22. Back to ladies petite size 16 - or regular ladies size 14.

I only look at 5 pounds at a time. Sometimes less. And I celebrate every 1/2 pound now !!!

16 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

Hey New & Improved...did you realize that it's against forum rules to shame people for their choice of surgery? Now why don't you bugger off with your constant hot takes, lousy opinions, and egotistical attention seeking?

Thank you! I've been reading the person you are responding to -- and I scroll by and I can't take it anymore. The negativity and boasting is just too much. Almost like they feel better about themselves by shaming others. It is so disappointing, because I truly feel like you guys are my support group and if anyone would be understanding about food addiction... and WLS speed bumps -- it would be fellow WLS patients.

To avoid this post being negative. I just want everyone here to know that I support you. We will all have struggles during this process and this should be a safe, non-judgment zone to help one another.

I believe in all of you and we will get through this together!

And to the OP -- yes, I get frustrated too. I am trying hard not to compare myself to others who have quicker results. I do feel a lot better and I am happy I did the surgery regardless though.

Big hugs and love to you all.:769_heart:

12 minutes ago, BriarRose said:

I am 10 years out. Gained some back but maintained a 100 pound weight loss.... now have tackled the re-gain and have lost 41 pounds of 40 regain. AND SOMEONE COMMENTED HERE THAT I SHOULD WEIGH LESS.

I had to laugh. I mean really laugh. He is young, male, and has NO clue what anyone else deals with.

Take away information that is helpful, add to other's journey with concern and maybe a suggestion about what works for you.

Try not to compare yourself with anyone except to your "old self"

Celebrate EVERY Victory

Be Yourself and DO YOU.

BTW - TODAY - I am celebrating by taking Three HUGE bags of PLUS SIZE clothing to the Women's Shelter. GONE AND DONE. NO MORE SIZE 20/22. Back to ladies petite size 16 - or regular ladies size 14.

I only look at 5 pounds at a time. Sometimes less. And I Celebrate every 1/2 pound now !!!

Awesome advice! And you've done GREAT, even with the re-gain issue. Congratulations on your journey!

36 minutes ago, ldawn said:

I also had to leave Bariatric pal for a while. I am in a group with others who had surgery the same month as me. One of the ladies started doing the whole “omg I can’t stop losing weight I’m so skinny now” Crap at 4 months out. It really messed with my head. Walking away from the group for a few months really helped.

Depending on in which place you are, self-help groups (be it IRL or online) can be highly toxic environments. When you're down and frustrated regarding your weight loss/diet struggles/body, a WLS community can be the worst of all places to hang around.

5 hours ago, New&Improved said:

So it's fine for people to b***h and moan about how unhappy and unsuccessful they are?

Yet it's not okay for people to feel good about Celebrate their own achievements?

I'm just over seeing all the negative posts and people continuously slacking or cheating then crying about their lack of weight loss?

You can only blame yourself!

So stop slacking off

giphy.gif

On 8/7/2020 at 7:42 AM, Luv2cruz said:

....As I am with how slowly the weight is coming off? I have been discouraged, but now I’m just getting downright disgusted. I am 10 1/2 weeks postop and have only lost 30 pounds. No, I do not think that is a lot. My surgeon told me that he expected me to be down 100 pounds by Thanksgiving. That is never going to happen.

I have a coworker on weight watchers and she is losing weight faster than I am. I am doing everything right, so I know that is not the problem.

I really don’t want to hear the speeches about how losing slower is better. This is just too slow. 😟 I would just like to hear from the folks that are also losing weight slowly and how you kept it going.

I also lost weight fairly slowly (compared to what I saw from others) but I promise you, the longevity of your loss ( ie little/no regain) is far more important than the pace.

Good luck, stay motivated & consistent ♥️

1 minute ago, GreenTealael said:

I also lost weight fairly slowly (compared to what I saw from others) but I promise you, the longevity of your loss ( ie little/no regain) is far more important than the pace.

True. It takes years before it's showing clearly who's going to benefit from WLS long term or not.

When I say "benefit" I'm not only referring to weight loss but also to ailments like diabetes, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis etc. and mental health (think depression, cross addiction).

8 minutes ago, summerset said:

True. It takes years before it's showing clearly who's going to benefit from WLS long term or not.

When I say "benefit" I'm not only referring to weight loss but also to ailments like diabetes, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis etc. and mental health (think depression, cross addiction).

Very true! Long term quality of life is important too

Also to the OP, there are so many non weight related improvements to focus on down the road. Try to Celebrate every little win ♥️

(Sometimes I even forget what life was like before WLS and I'm a measly 2.75 yrs post VSG {1 yr post RNY conversion} how crazy is that, unfortunately I was hit with a pretty strong cross addiction to false eyelashes 😂 I'm not even kidding)

I’ve had a band removed, changed to a sleeve 5 years ago. Gained my weight back. I lost a total:of 30 pounds with the gastric sleeve! I finally found out the problem at mayo last month. The doctor (not at Mayo) didn’t cut my stomach back enough. It’s shaped like a pear instead of a banana. It’s relatively small at the top and bottom, but large in the middle! I could eat an entire plate of foood as soon as I could eat solids again. I told my doc about it and he said my lack of weight was all my own fault, but I kept explaining I didn’t have any restriction. He never did a CT to check the size of my new stomach because he said he never made mistakes! Finally after going to Mayo I have found that most sleeves (not all) only work for a while, then can expand. They also said the best permanent solution to weight loss is bypass. I was so angry for quite a while at the doctor who did my sleeve; it was so painful, but I’ll be having bypass in a couple of months which I probably should have had instead of the band! I don’t think anyone even does lap band anymore! So I’ve lived and learned. Please talk with your doctor, get a CT, and best of luck with your sleeve. And don’t let your doctor browbeat you into thinking it’s your fault!

I had my sleeve 7/14 date of surgery 259 today 245 one week post op I was 249 so in 2 plus weeks I’ve only been able to lose 4 pounds! It is so discouraging and very frustrating! I thought to the weight would come off faster. Now I’ve lowered my expectations to 12 pounds a month I’m hoping that’s even possible as slow as the weight is coming off! I feel your pain.