Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Developed Diabetes After Surgery

Has anyone out there developed diabetes AFTER surgery? I am 6 years out and not overweight but feel sick after I eat high carb meals. Usually things that contain bread or Cereal and milk or yogurt. I feel like I’m in a sugar coma- very sleepy, short of breath, nauseous etc usually 15 minutes after I eat. I started testing my blood sugar and found my sugar was high when I am feeling this way- like well over 200. As I started testing throughout the day, I also see I am having very large deviations from highs to lows. Is anyone else unable to tolerate these foods and has anyone else develop diabetes after surgery when you are not overweight?

developing reactive hypoglycemia (RH) isn't that uncommon, but I haven't heard of people developing diabetes after surgery. In any case, I'm not sure it would be result of the surgery or not, since these surgeries tend to improve diabetes (or put it in remission).

in the case of RH, the things you mentioned happen to people after ingesting a lot of sugar, but the symptoms usually kick in an hour or two later. RH can be controlled by limiting (or avoiding) sugar and eating something every three or four hours. And if you eat a carb, you're supposed to eat a Protein with it.

I'd check with my PCP - not sure what's going on. But I'd sure want to get that under control...

On 7/30/2020 at 4:20 PM, Foxy Momma said:

Has anyone out there developed diabetes AFTER surgery? I am 6 years out and not overweight but feel sick after I eat high carb meals. Usually things that contain bread or Cereal and milk or yogurt. I feel like I’m in a sugar coma- very sleepy, short of breath, nauseous etc usually 15 minutes after I eat. I started testing my blood sugar and found my sugar was high when I am feeling this way- like well over 200. As I started testing throughout the day, I also see I am having very large deviations from highs to lows. Is anyone else unable to tolerate these foods and has anyone else develop diabetes after surgery when you are not overweight?

Well initially right off stop eating those things! Second see an endocrinologist and tell the surgeon it could be that hyperglycemia and usually u go on low carb diet with it.

Blood sugars usually always rise 15-20 minutes after a carb laden meal. The test is to see if they remain high after an hour (usually over 160) or are over 100 upon waking. I would keep a log with when you tested and last ate for a week and scheduled an appointment with your PCP for an A1C?

Just popping in to say my A1C has been higher at every post op lab. 1 month 3 month and just now 6month at 5.6 (which my internal med doc husband says is close to pre-diabetic) I did not have issues before Bypass. I find it concerning which is why I did a search and found this post. I believe I've read this has happened to others which does seem to contradict the fact that diabetics are cured by Bypass. Hm...

12 minutes ago, MaybeMeow2 said:

Just popping in to say my A1C has been higher at every post op lab. 1 month 3 month and just now 6month at 5.6 (which my internal med doc husband says is close to pre-diabetic) I did not have issues before Bypass. I find it concerning which is why I did a search and found this post. I believe I've read this has happened to others which does seem to contradict the fact that diabetics are cured by Bypass. Hm...

I think it tends to throw it into remission rather than outright cures it - and it can stay in remission for several years. But yea - that's odd that yours is getting worse - it usually gets better with RNY...

13 hours ago, MaybeMeow2 said:

Sorry to hear, Meow2. My A1c was getting progressively higher post RNY also, my high number went around 5.6. Perplexed, as the only sugars in my diet at that point were from fruit. Nurse practitioner cited the watermelon I was juicing was very high in sugar, and on a lower fat, lower calorie, lower food volume intake would really spike my blood sugar. It was like putting pure sugar in my veins with little to offset or balance it.

To test it, she had me quit watermelon and sure enough, next blood work was impressively better. Though not fun, you might try only having fruit or sugar items AFTER, and along with, a Protein intake. It has worked for me and better than where this was heading. Good luck!💗

Sounds like you feel like I do after I eat something I'm not suppose to. I'm type 2. My blood sugars have always been controlled until Jan 2020. One of the first signs I knew it had went out of wack was a yeast infection I couldn't shake and constant sleepiness. Checked my sugar over 500. Made a dr appointment was put on insulin. Thats when I started looking into gastric bypass.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:15 AM, Lily66 said:

Sorry to hear, Meow2. My A1c was getting progressively higher post RNY also, my high number went around 5.6. Perplexed, as the only sugars in my diet at that point were from fruit. Nurse practitioner cited the watermelon I was juicing was very high in sugar, and on a lower fat, lower calorie, lower food volume intake would really spike my blood sugar. It was like putting pure sugar in my veins with little to offset or balance it.

To test it, she had me quit watermelon and sure enough, next blood work was impressively better. Though not fun, you might try only having fruit or sugar items AFTER, and along with, a Protein intake. It has worked for me and better than where this was heading. Good luck!💗

My A1C without insulin was 13 with insulin it was 5.4. Now I’m maintaining a 5

A significant number of patients experience either persistent type 2 diabetes after surgery or, after a few months or years in remission, experience relapse in the years following their surgery.

After 11 years RNY I have now been advised I am pre diabetic with much the same symptoms as you.

I struggle with eating out where alcohol is involved, parties & Christmas are a nightmare for me. I find myself having to go lay down until the spike episode passes.

Tonigh I had a sugar spike after spare ribs, small jacket potato and salad ( it was the small amount of BBQ Sauce on the ribs)

Somethings can spike me one day and not another its trial and error.

Hope you get it under control without too many dietary adjustments.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:47 PM, Nicki100 said:

I’ve had bouts of hypoglycemia - coma like - and I’m going to schedule an appointment to see a doctor tomorrow. It’s pretty scary.

I have gone unconscious once (before I had a meter) and sometimes I go as low as 37. I have been to the Dr and am trying to control this by eliminating foods I know I should avoid. Today my sugar is high at 180.

My sister had gastric bypass 25 years ago and she eats candy breads etc she is insulin dependent and has been about 23-24 years now. I was raw vegan for 6 months and lost 40 pounds before I decided to get the sleeve and I’m planning to go back vegan although probably cooked. I think since what you eat is limited I wouldn’t waste that space with breads because that would be to much carbs and raise anyones blood sugar I would think. Try to get in to your dietitian and an endocrinologist they both can help a ton