Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So mad at myself for regain

YES!!!!! ^^^^this!

I am in the same place & totally beside myself. I lost 60lbs from sleeve and felt amazing. but have gained back 25 in the 2.5 years. It’s been a steady rise and I keep watching it, and then getting crazed, but then letting it slide. My wine consumption is a big problem. Starting to feel embarrassed about it and shame. I have been on this path so many times just feeling so low. Trying to regroup and get myself back in the right mindset. Hope you can do it too.

I too am upset with myself after 8 years being sleeved, I’ve gained back about 55 lbs. However I remember I lost 120 lbs and I’m not putting on anymore. I have suffered w acid reflux from the sleeve and now awaiting approval for a revision. Hang in there....time for us to focus. To remember the why I have a pic of me at my highest weight.

On 3/20/2020 at 5:27 AM, Debbieduck4 said:

I can't believe I'm in this place again! I was sleeved in December 2014 and lost 101 pounds. I was thrilled and kept the weight off for 5 years. Then slowly but surely I began to gain... I have been eating whatever I want, not exercising, and basically just being a slug. I finally got the courage up to weigh myself and see the damage, and I've gained 40 pounds!! I have tried to return to the basics but feel constant hunger. I am depressed and pretty hard on myself. I don't like the way I look and I feel like a loser (not a weight loss loser either). I guess I'm just looking for advice, encouragement, and tips to get this weight back off. Thanks community

Well you just answered your own question.... Get back to eating right.. get your mind in the game..

We are in a very special circumstance. We have been able through weight loss surgery(WLS) to get a gigantic boost to lose weight. We are able to lose that weight effortlessly without much work. (Beside the process and procedure of WLS) We have this superpower that we never had before, rapid weight loss. Some in my support group have told me, you can go to sleep for six months and the weight will still come off. It's a superpower that we want to believe will last forever. Then one day we lose our superpower. We are now mere mortals in the weight loss world. A pound regain turns to two, then four then....you know the rest.

It's not so easy to lose the weight as it was after WLS. In fact we find ourselves in the same circumstance we were in prior to WLS. Struggling to lose weight and feeling hopeless and discouraged that we can't lose it as fast as we did post WLS. I know that feeling well. Prior to WLS I lost a lot of weight (60lbs) and you guessed it I regained it all back and then some. For 17 years I struggled to lose the weight as my body deteriorated with heart disease, diabetes, GERD, high blood pressure, gout and other maladies. I was taking so much medication that put both my liver and kidneys were in danger of failing me. I decided on WLS. I was taking 11 plus pills a day. The day I walked out of the hospital I was prescribed two pills.

I did not want to repeat my mistake of years ago and I made my goal weight my "RED ALERT" weight. I weight myself every week on the same day and same time to monitor my weight. After slipping on a vacation ( ate pastries) I realized that I needed additional help. I sought a therapist who specializes in eating disorders and was diagnosed as a compulsive over eater.She recommended that I seek the help of Overeaters Anonymous. I attend OA meetings as well as the group meetings my surgeon sets up.

During Covid my meetings with support groups and the therapist were curtailed and I subsequently gained weight. I could not lose the weight no matter what I tried. I too despaired and lamented that my brief flirtation with my weight loss superpowers were over. Fortunately for me I have a few family and friends that had WLS after I had mine and we are our own support group. ( I encourage people to hook up with other WLS patients and call, not write or text them to get as much support as you can) I was directed to You Tube videos on intermittent fasting and cutting out late night snacking. It's been 18 days since I stopped eating after 7PM and starting again at 8AM. I have lost the weight plus an additional pound. I have regained my confidence (which is very important) and I can see a clearer path to maintaining my health with my weight loss.

Gaining weight and not being able to take it off as fast as we once did is very crushing to us on so many levels. It hinders our ability to effectively lose the weight and it returns us to regaining more and giving up. Please don't give up. Many here have given you excellent choices to help you. I fortunately have a great support group of family and friends who I can tap for ideas "outside of the box". One poster here had a 45lb regain and was able to lose it. That in itself is a great motivator. For those of us who have lost our weight loss superpowers, don't despair, learn new tactics, resist old ones that work but never ever give up. Your good health is too important.

I hope this finds each of you well and making progress toward new goals or maintaining. Just checking in to see how the last seven months have been.

Thank you so much everyone for replying to my post! You've all been so helpful. Just thought I'd provide an update. I took a good hard look at things, started writing down everything I was eating, and figured out I had gotten into a really bad habit of grazing all day long. I am a crisis responder who works nights 12PM-12AM and wasn't planning for meals. I would just grab a bunch of Snacks (fairly healthy but still not the best) and head out. I decided to make a change by giving myself actual meal times and planning for them, with 2 snacks a day. For my weird schedule I'm having breakfast (an egg and bacon or sausage) at noon, lunch at 3PM (a salad with protein), and dinner at 7PM (Some sort of Protein and veggies). I've been having nuts around 5PM for snack #1 (thank you for the suggestion!), and then around 9PM eating for the final time with snack #2 of fruit or popcorn. It's working.. I'm down 10 pounds and feeling better! I really appreciate all of the suggestions, encouragement, and help here at Bariatric Pal and am prioritizing a daily visit to the site again like I used to. Take care everyone! XOXO

Edited by Debbieduck4