Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Corona delaying weight loss surgery dates? Anyone?

8 minutes ago, stacer12 said:

All elective surgeries in my area have been postponed. I would have had surgery sometime in the next couple weeks (I started the whole process on March 13) but as of right now my surgery is tentatively scheduled for May 12, although that is subject to change if current circumstances persist. Overall I know that two months from the very first appointment to date of surgery is quite fast, but I'm just sad that surgery could have been a month sooner. I'm just anxious to get this show on the road already!

So my Doctor’s office called me yesterday morning to set up my pre-op appointment. I went today at 8am and I’m scheduled to proceed with Gastric Bypass on 4/27 at 6am. Originally, things were postponed, but yesterday they called and told me my insurance approved my surgery and asked me what date I was looking at. I told them asap and they got me scheduled. We were asked to wear a mask and everyone in the office wore them as well. Only about 5 people were allowed in and they had the waiting room spaced out for social distancing. We were also screened for high temperature and any Covid-19 symptoms before we were allowed into the office. I’m excited, yet trying not to get my hopes too high in case I get rescheduled in the next 19 days.

2 hours ago, PinknFlawless said:

So my Doctor’s office called me yesterday morning to set up my pre-op appointment. I went today at 8am and I’m scheduled to proceed with Gastric Bypass on 4/27 at 6am. Originally, things were postponed, but yesterday they called and told me my insurance approved my surgery and asked me what date I was looking at. I told them asap and they got me scheduled. We were asked to wear a mask and everyone in the office wore them as well. Only about 5 people were allowed in and they had the waiting room spaced out for social distancing. We were also screened for high temperature and any Covid-19 symptoms before we were allowed into the office. I’m excited, yet trying not to get my hopes too high in case I get rescheduled in the next 19 days.

Unfortunately my area is having a spike of cases of COVID19, so there are no elective surgeries happening. They actually even temporarily canceled all mediport placements for chemo patients (I work in an oncology clinic) until our surgeons complained because, you know, cancer patients sort of need their chemo.

My PCP just put in the referral for me about a month ago. I haven't heard from them so I called today and the bariatric practice is not scheduling any appointments "until things cool down." I mentioned that it could take a year to which they said, "yeah, maybe." I asked about tele appointments to get me started- nope. I'm so disappointed! They told me to call back in a few weeks to see if they were opening up again. I hope so. I really wish I had settled on this course of action 6 months ago instead. Then I'd already be losing the weight. =(

On 04/08/2020 at 22:13, Suzi_the_Q said:

My PCP just put in the referral for me about a month ago. I haven't heard from them so I called today and the bariatric practice is not scheduling any appointments "until things cool down." I mentioned that it could take a year to which they said, "yeah, maybe." I asked about tele appointments to get me started- nope. I'm so disappointed! They told me to call back in a few weeks to see if they were opening up again. I hope so. I really wish I had settled on this course of action 6 months ago instead. Then I'd already be losing the weight. =(

Hang it there. Trust me and everyone else if you had started like us last year you would be even more disappointed then you are now because we have all had our surgery date come within reach and then taken away because of this pandemic. But try to think positive at least it’s not no it’s just not now and at least we are all alive. I am not a very positive person most of the time but I’m trying! I exercise and try not to fall to far off the healthy eating because when this is all over I don’t want to have to wait one second more then I have to.

10 hours ago, Suzi_the_Q said:

I mentioned that it could take a year to which they said, "yeah, maybe."

I suppose there's a chance it could take a year - but I bet they'll get you in a lot sooner than that. What hospitals are trying to avoid now is getting slammed with this huge surge of COVID patients. Once we're through the surge, that is if they're able to manage the number of COVID patients who show up once we're through the worst of it, they'll probably be able to start scheduling other surgeries again. No one knows for sure, but I'm wondering if by this summer they can start scheduling non-critical surgeries and procedures again. Fingers crossed.

If there's a need to delay the surgery or have it postponed and reschedule it just to give way to treat those who are infected with the coronavirus, Only to hope they can wait for the right time for the surgery to be done. Well, it's still on a case to case basis.

I’ve gone through all the hoops and my insurance has approved and now due to Covid 19 no surgeries are being scheduled. They said probably won’t be scheduling until June. I know it’s best but I just want to get this journey started.

On 04/10/2020 at 20:31, Suzq328 said:

I’ve gone through all the hoops and my insurance has approved and now due to Covid 19 no surgeries are being scheduled. They said probably won’t be scheduling until June. I know it’s best but I just want to get this journey started.

I hear you and feel you pain and frustration! My surgery should have be in a few weeks on May 12. My pre admission testing should have been next Wednesday and I’m sure it’s not happening anymore because I’m in New Jersey. I said I wasn’t going to get anymore cortisone injections for my hip but since my surgery isn’t happening anytime soon I managed to get my orthopedist to get me an injection last week for the pain so hopefully now that was the last because I’m hoping the weight loss will help instead of injections. So trust me all oh us feel your pain and disappointment and are here for you if you want to vent! Remember this to will end! Hopefully sooner rather than later! 🌞

6 hours ago, Suzq328 said:

I know it’s best but I just want to get this journey started.

If your insurance has approved you're already on your way. It's one thing you don't have to worry about anymore. :)

My surgery is May 6th...... my pre op class is next week, it will be done remotely. We are going forward as if surgery will happen. I’m keeping my fingers crossed but also know if it is canceled it’s for good reason. 2020 is my year, everything will be ok.

On 04/11/2020 at 05:07, alieste22 said:

My surgery is May 6th...... my pre op class is next week, it will be done remotely. We are going forward as if surgery will happen. I’m keeping my fingers crossed but also know if it is canceled it’s for good reason. 2020 is my year, everything will be ok.

What state are you having your surgery in? I’m just curious.

20 hours ago, alieste22 said:

Mine is scheduled for April 27th. I was just scheduled on Wednesday and not really getting my hopes up due to Covid-19 spreading everywhere. Where are you located, if you don’t mind my asking. I’m scheduled in Memphis, Tn.

I asked my doctor. He said that in my case it is not elective. So I am set for June 8.

I think it is up to the discretion of the doctor and if the surgery is going to fix or help an underlying problem. I have Congestive Heart Failure, Diabetes2, Asthma, and am missing a main artery to the heart (birth defect).

I am glad that I am not going to be delayed, but the reasons suck. Now that I am older, life has forever changed. Embrace what comes. 😀

Mine has been re-re-re-re scheduled now to June 4th.

I feel sorry for the poor nurse who has to keep calling all the patients to keep pushing these dates back. I laughing told her over the phone if its changed again, I was probably going to have to riot. She laughed and said she would bring the poster board if I bought the markers and we could stand around together. LOL.

Its been hard, because after so long of having to get the funds up (cash pay customer because our insurance sucks), getting all the tests done, getting the PTO saved up, I'm at the finish line (of a 5 year ordeal) getting ready to cross it and its like theres a huge STOP sign before I am able to cross it.

I was part of the last group to go through surgery before the coronavirus cancellations.

Had mine March 16th.

Edited by Sabs211