Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Corona delaying weight loss surgery dates? Anyone?

3 hours ago, LisaDee1 said:

I am scheduled for 4/13 with Dr Lytle... they told me my surgery is not canceled as of now and the hospital called Friday for my pre-op health assessment.... Now i am super nervous....

How exciting, Lisa! Congratulations on moving forward!

I am scheduled for 4/15. As of right now, my program is not cancelling surgeries that far in advance, but I can't imagine that they won't. It took so much balancing to get things in place for this, and I am pretty defeated (in addition to insurance requirements, I had to switch jobs to make sure I could get time off). There is no one to blame really -- who could have predicted a global pandemic? But it still sucks.

I am doing the opposite.

I am self sabotaging because I’m so disappointed. Carbed myself out this weekend but will hopefully get back on track soon

I agree with JRT Mom - I would not want to be near a hospital right now. It IS disappointing but at some point in the future you will get your dates. Everyone is having everything cancelled. Basically, life is cancelled. For now.

My biggest frustration is the lack of control over my surgical plan. The thing is that some of us can't just "move our dates" randomly by however many weeks we have to wait to see if our hospitals become overrun or if this was just extreme caution. I was assured surgeries would "stay in the same order" but that doesn't change the demands on my time. I had 1 week to go, but I may not be able to have surgery at 1 weeks notice. Even if I am not working at school until the end of April, after April 5th, I will be working at home every day. The timing of surgeries was chosen for different reasons--mine because I have student needs/sub plans to consider, for example. I can't use a sub during this shut down, I HAVE to be available. It's frustrating to have your choices yanked away.

Venting is healthy, imo, even if there is logic saying the cancellations are reasonable. Locking in that resentment or frustration because people say things that are dismissive of your feelings or make you feel like you shouldn't have them at all because other people "might need hospital care more" can lead to self- destructive or diet destructive behavior; it certainly has for me. I'm glad this topic is here and I'm not the only one who seems resentful that the world lost its mind right when it would derail my plan to finally start the steps to a more pain-free life. Now I just have to get off my pity party and remember carbs are the true enemy!

Yes I’ve definitely blew my diet since finding out surgery was canceled 03/17.. I can’t seem to shake my frustration with my journey being postponed.. any TIPS??

While my surgeon is still conducting procedures, I'm postponing my surgery until the Fall. My support person is especially vulnerable to COVID and while I might be fine if I caught it, I couldn't live with myself if something were to happen to her because I couldn't wait a few months. Trump closing the border also helped with my decision as I was to be sleeved in Mexico. I know medical procedures are excluded from the ban, but I'm going with my gut on this one. Trying to figure out something for September.

17 hours ago, Angelove22 said:

I am self sabotaging because I’m so disappointed.

This is a good time to work on stress/frustration tolerance.

If you can survive CoV-2 stress without sabotaging yourself in any way, you can survive quite a lot of stressful times in your life that for absolutely 100% sure will occur in the future.

I recommend books about normal eating and especially the books of Karen Koenig. She also has a blog. If bingeing is also a problem I highly recommend "Brain over Binge" though that book's not everyone's cup of tea.

4 hours ago, smile-everyday said:

Yes I’ve definitely blew my diet since finding out surgery was canceled 03/17..

What kind of tips are you looking for exactly? Exercise at home? Sticking to diet? Dealing with your emotions? All of this?

I just was watching tv and the News announcement said that all elective surgery is canceled as of 5pm tonight. I’m devastated. I got my date three weeks ago for May 12, 2020 and now is canceled. I feel so deflated. 😢

@IWantTheDream I’m so sorry to hear this for you. I know it’s devastating. My own surgery was delayed from Jan 14th to March 3rd. Just remember, this is not a no. It’s just not yet. You’ll have yours soon!

Very true! I just had the perfect time line n it was a tight one. Now I have two jobs n in June I would have three and I really needed to get the weight off because the third one is on my feet for like six hours and I am having trouble standing on my hips n knees. My one hip is incredibly bad. I am getting another cortisone shot in it on Saturday. I just really need my third job to survive and now with this epidemic I’m down to one job. I am just not in a great place and this being canceled is very disappointing but your right hopefully it will happen soon. :(

1 hour ago, IWantTheDream said:

I just was watching tv and the News announcement said that all elective surgery is canceled as of 5pm tonight. I’m devastated. I got my date three weeks ago for May 12, 2020 and now is canceled. I feel so deflated. 😢

Was that your state?

New Jersey