Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2020 Surgery Date

Had my RNY on the 28th hoping to go home today but I feel great fluids going down passing gas and had a BM. I’m feeling good. I don’t feel any restriction when I drink is that normal?
I didn't feel any restriction the first day but the second and third were rough. Just go easy and aim for 4-6 ounces an hour with slow sips!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

On 1/29/2020 at 9:24 AM, BadWolfGirl said:

Day 3 post rny is a bit of a struggle. I have no energy and though the pain is still quite minimal, every time I swallow Water I feel like I have to burp to push it down. Logically I know it's only been two full days and there is probably so much inflammation to work through.

I'm still walking and sipping. Just not the best day so far.

My worst day was day 2. I prepared for day 3 by drinking lots of Water. I feel much better today (day 4).

On 01/26/2020 at 13:29, walkthewalk said:

Also—I’m stressing over the hospital stay. How long (fellow VSGs) did you have to stay in the hospital???

Overnight for me. I think overnight is pretty standard for VSG and 2 nights for RNY. Although one person on here said they had overnight with RNY and one person went home same day after VSG, those are exceptions. My daughter had RNY two years ago in Houston and because she doesn’t handle pain very well she had 3 nights in hospital.

Two weeks out from surgery and moving on to phase 2, pureed foods. Just had about 3 oz of refried Beans for lunch and they were soooooo good. Nice to be able have something with a little more substance than Jello or pudding.

Had my RNY on the 28th hoping to go home today but I feel great fluids going down passing gas and had a BM. I’m feeling good. I don’t feel any restriction when I drink is that normal?
Hi ccorrea! I also had RNY on Jan 28th! I got to go home today. That 2nd day was a toughie for me, but I feel I turned the corner last night. Everything's going well so far. Sounds like it is for you, too! Hope you do get released soon if you haven't already. I do feel restriction and am taking it very easy!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

RNY yesterday. I'm home in my own bed tonight with no nurses (albeit wonderful ones) waking me up every 4 minutes.

My pain level is very low and hoping the uncomfortable gas dissipates by tomorrow! So far so good !

One more day of Clear Liquids and then I can start on my purees!

Congrats! Sounds like you're doing great! I got home yesterday and have to admit...my bed was NOT the place to sleep first night home!! Getting into it was so much easier than getting out. Lesson learned -recliner it is for a while. [emoji21]

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Just did my weekly weigh in, down 19 lbs in two weeks since surgery. Eating lunch, 3 oz of refried Beans which is taking me about 25 minutes to eat. Prior to surgery it would have been less than a minute to scarf them down along with a bunch of tortilla chips.

On 01/31/2020 at 11:39, Uomograsso said:

Just did my weekly weigh in, down 19 lbs in two weeks since surgery. Eating lunch, 3 oz of refried Beans which is taking me about 25 minutes to eat. Prior to surgery it would have been less than a minute to scarf them down along with a bunch of tortilla chips.

Yayy!! That’s great. I am almost 3 weeks. 2 weeks 5days. And I am down 27lbs. Idk why I am losing so fast. I think it may be because I was on a more solid diet pretty fast. But idk.

I had my Surgery 1/27/20 (4 days ago now) by Dr. Trang at Einstein Medical Center!

Yayy!! That’s great. I am almost 3 weeks. 2 weeks 5days. And I am down 27lbs. Idk why I am losing so fast. I think it may be because I was on a more solid diet pretty fast. But idk.
Today 5 days PO and moved onto full liquids, which means I can have strain Soups and make my Protein creamy. So far so good. On this until the 9th when I get to switch to soft foods. My stomach is definitely a little tighter after introducing the different consistency, but no real nausea or discomfort so slow and steady wins the race.

On 01/31/2020 at 14:19, sarahSingh91 said:

I think you’re right. 4 weeks post-op on Monday and just starting on soft solids, but my body feels like it’s in starvation mode. Hard to exercise on less than 500 calories per day. After 3 weeks of liquids, I’m still barely able to get down 2 oz of tofu cause my stomach isn’t used to food anymore. Can you tell us what your dietary stages were post-op? I don’t understand why it’s so drastically different with different surgeons.

I think you’re right. 4 weeks post-op on Monday and just starting on soft solids, but my body feels like it’s in starvation mode. Hard to exercise on less than 500 calories per day. After 3 weeks of liquids, I’m still barely able to get down 2 oz of tofu cause my stomach isn’t used to food anymore. Can you tell us what your dietary stages were post-op? I don’t understand why it’s so drastically different with different surgeons.
for what it's worth, all the research says that you really shouldn't be exercising until 6 months out because you're not consuming enough calories to make your workouts worth it. You're just depleting your body. My surgeon only recommends walking swimming and biking

12 minutes ago, KBailey2022 said:

I had my Surgery 1/27/20 (4 days ago now) by Dr. Trang at Einstein Medical Center!

I had my surgery on 1-27-20 too by Dr. Juan Francisco Hidalgo in Puerto Vallarta, MX. How are you feeling?

18 minutes ago, sarahSingh91 said:

During my one week check up my surgeon said I would probably lose about a pound a day for the first three months. Each surgeon/practice is different from what I have seen, but the basic principles remain the same. Get your Protein and Water in at first. Then you can expand your menu when you move to the full foods phase.

On 01/31/2020 at 12:26, Taj said:

Yea of course.
So in the hospital I was allowed clear liquids and my Protein Shakes which where ensure max Protein.
Also the first 6 weeks they push that they do not wnat us eating low carb. They do recommend sugar free for sweets so that you don’t “dump.”
So when released we can have full liquids and some purées Soups Beans ricotta cheese etc.
then on our one week post op appointment. We are allowed all soft foods. Just not meats yet.
Two weeks we can have soft food plus like soft cheeses, fish ground meats
Three weeks we can have lunch meat and cheese roll ups cheddar cheese etc.
week four post op we can have cucumber and tuna boats etc.
6 week normal eating

they just push to listen to our bodies. Obviously if your new belly is not liking something don’t eat it.

Also they don’t push for extreme amounts of protein because our body can only absorb so much. They recommend the first 6 weeks 45-55 grams of protein a day. They also don’t resend working out really hard until after the honey moon phase. Because our bodies are not taking in enough calories to work out. After about 6 months when we can consume enough calories. Then we can work out and work on building elan muscle not cardio since our bodies are still in a huge deficient.
Also they said if we r in the habit of working out. Then we can but this is just what they recommend for the best results. As per there program.
My surgeon also said. If I want to explore with a food eat a tiny bite and see how it “hits” my stomach. Like the first time eating salad. Eat a bite. Wait and see how your stomach reacts. Etc