Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with Water and Protein

Hi all,

I’m 11 days out from my sleeve surgery and down about 30 lbs. My post-op diet is full liquids (water, clear broths, Jello, Protein Shakes, yogurt) for 3 weeks until I can move on to thin purées. As someone who doesn’t have a sweet tooth, I struggled with all the sweet flavors of the Protein shakes and yogurt at first. I have broth at dinner time to fill my salty craving and that more or less does the trick. After the first week I felt like I mostly got over that hump.
Now I feel at a point where I really have no appetite at all. I had a bad day and barely got in any Water or protein. I almost forgot to eat or drink. The next day I tried to stay on schedule and forced myself through the motions. I didn’t feel full or uncomfortable getting the yogurt and protein down. I know how important it is to get in my 64 oz of liquid and 60g of protein so I’ve made that priory #1. I guess my question is, do you “eat”/drink even when you don’t feel like it? I’m still getting used to the new feeling of everything and tuning into my body and it’s cues. I’m assuming since I’m still so early out that I just have to follow schedule until my body catches up. Did anyone else experience this?
Having disordered eating for so long has kind of made me forget how normal people nourish themselves. I just want to get to a place where I don’t always have to be so conscious when and what I’m eating. I used to constantly think about my next meal. I feel like not much has changed.

Hi all,

I’m 11 days out from my sleeve surgery and down about 30 lbs. My post-op diet is full liquids (water, clear broths, Jello, Protein Shakes, yogurt) for 3 weeks until I can move on to thin purées. As someone who doesn’t have a sweet tooth, I struggled with all the sweet flavors of the Protein shakes and yogurt at first. I have broth at dinner time to fill my salty craving and that more or less does the trick. After the first week I felt like I mostly got over that hump.
Now I feel at a point where I really have no appetite at all. I had a bad day and barely got in any Water or Protein. I almost forgot to eat or drink. The next day I tried to stay on schedule and forced myself through the motions. I didn’t feel full or uncomfortable getting the yogurt and protein down. I know how important it is to get in my 64 oz of liquid and 60g of protein so I’ve made that priory #1. I guess my question is, do you “eat”/drink even when you don’t feel like it? I’m still getting used to the new feeling of everything and tuning into my body and it’s cues. I’m assuming since I’m still so early out that I just have to follow schedule until my body catches up. Did anyone else experience this?
Having disordered eating for so long has kind of made me forget how normal people nourish themselves. I just want to get to a place where I don’t always have to be so conscious when and what I’m eating. I used to constantly think about my next meal. I feel like not much has changed.
30 lbs at 11 days out is quite alot

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes I forced myself to drink. You can mix fairlife milk with the Protein Shake to make it less sweet tasting. I would give myself a goal like drinking 6 oz in 45 minutes. so i set a timer and played a game on my phone or watched TV and made myself drink a sip or a shot glass full of the shake every 5 minutes. Mentally i needed that distraction. It was harder for me to drink in the mornings initially so i kept a themos of cold Water on my nightstand and if i woke up during the night i would at least get a few sips in during the night. I was allowed to eat creamed Soups (not potato but celery, mushroom, chicken but had to strain out the pieces the first week. I had unflavored Protein Powder (Unjury brand) that i would add to the Soup to increase the Protein, if you don't have that you could add some fairlife milk to it. Some people said water tasted bad so i bought a few different brands in case one seemed to be better. it didnt matter for me. I also had sugar free Mio and crystal light i added to water. Sugar free Popsicle were good, That forces you to eat the whole Popsicle before it melts and that increased my fluids.

I am 4 weeks out today and still having a lot of trouble getting my Protein and Water. Now that I’m back to work it’s a constant struggle to remember to eat and drink at regular intervals throughout the day. I’m thinking of setting alarms all day long to remind me to drink and eat? I end up getting caught up in a project and next thing I know a few hours have passed and I haven’t drank anything. It’s impossible to get caught up because you can’t gulp down large amounts of water with the new stomach. I usually barely manage 45 oz. Same goes for eating protein. I can eat so little food at a time that many, many meals would be required to get my 60g. Maybe if self-care was my full time job i could do it but it’s not and AINT nobody got time for that *sigh* I know we have to try, but it is very hard. I supplement with 2 scoops Unjury a day. (Post op I can’t tolerate the Protein Shakes, even diluted). All this complaining is just to say I feel your pain, Winter! The struggle is very real.

The struggle is very much real! I ended up buying a water bottle that tells you to drink up and has measurements on it to show what you have drank so far. It has helped, but there are times where I lose track and find myself behind on my Water and really you can't catch up, or can you? I was told that I need to eat every 2 to 3 hours even if I am not hungry. Even that is hard for me. I know this phase will end, and soon we will be on to other challenges in our journey!

I hate the sweet taste of Protein Shakes as well. I only drink like a third at a time. wait 30 mins and follow with Water. I have unflavored Protein Powder and I bought unsweetened Kool aid to flavor my water, that way I can control the sweet taste.

I am 7 weeks out and still struggling with Water intake! Getting a water bottle with time/amount markers was VERY helpful for me.

I find that I do best when I drink as much water/fluid as possible BEFORE eating anything solid. Once I start eating solids I start getting behind and never quite catch up.

Just know that you can count ALL fluids you take in. You want your primary source to be water... but sugar free Vitamin water, sugar free Gatorade, Protein Shakes, and broths can all be counted! At least, my nutritionist counts them. I was worried until after I talked to her... she was good once she took everything else into account. I do find that my best meal days are meals that are in at least a little fluid... (soups/chili etc)

Oh... I forgot to add... she highly recommends putting all fluids in crushed ice. She says that her patients usually get more fluids in that way... I do like it better when I put my Protein Shakes and Vitamin Water in crushed ice, I tolerate their taste better. I did have to stop drinking my chocolate shakes, I can't tolerate them like before. I am OK with vanilla.

On 10/11/2019 at 3:30 PM, chula313 said:

30 lbs at 11 days out is quite alot

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was thinking the same thing wow