Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DS reaction to sugar



Recommended Posts

My wife had a rny about 9 years ago, and if she eats too much sugar, her blood sugar bottoms out and she gets the shakes and such. Is there a drastic reaction like this on the ds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't think it would be as common since DS'ers have a sleeved stomach - so they'd still have a pyloric valve. Sugar wouldn't hit the small intestine nearly as fast as it would with an RNY'er. But then, I'm not a medical person, so take that with a grain of salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumping Syndrome == Sucks

I get it too when I consume too much sugar too quickly (even worse if I mix it the sugar with lactose)....and I was sleeved.

It really varies from person to person. You'll find by-passers who don't experience it. Only way to know is to try it yourself and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CoramDeo said:

My wife had a rny about 9 years ago, and if she eats too much sugar, her blood sugar bottoms out and she gets the shakes and such. Is there a drastic reaction like this on the ds?

Duodenal Switch does not get the dumping syndrome.

I had a RNY in 2001, revision this last June to Duodenal Switch . I know what Dumping syndrome feels like and how it was easy to get used to. Only things I have found that the Duodenal Switch gets is the limitation of food intake and the pain that accompanies it when eating too much as well as the bowl movement issues.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BoredCW
added differentiations between Dumping Syndrome and Duodenal Switch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BoredCW said:

Duodenal Switch does not get the dumping syndrome.

I had a RNY in 2001, revision this last June to Duodenal Switch . I know what Dumping syndrome feels like and how it was easy to get used to. Only things I have found that the Duodenal Switch gets is the limitation of food intake and the pain that accompanies it when eating too much as well as the bowl movement issues.

Hope this helps.

Conflicting info on that, some say it is less likely and some say you don't get it. It certainly sounds like she is having dumping syndrome though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bastian said:

Conflicting info on that, some say it is less likely and some say you don't get it. It certainly sounds like she is having dumping syndrome though.

The Question the OP asked was "Is there a drastic reaction like this on the ds?"

DS I read as Duodenal Switch and not dumping syndrome.

His wife who had the RNY is describing dumping syndrome, but the DS (duodenal switch) surgery does not have such reactions. Not that I've researched, been told by my surgeon, told by my WLS group, and experienced myself.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BoredCW said:

The Question the OP asked was "Is there a drastic reaction like this on the ds?"

DS I read as Duodenal Switch and not dumping syndrome.

His wife who had the RNY is describing dumping syndrome, but the DS (duodenal switch) surgery does not have such reactions. Not that I've researched, been told by my surgeon, told by my WLS group, and experienced myself.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

No confusion :D I was just saying the research I looked at some said it is rare for it to happen but does in a few people and then some papers said it never happens, just wondering what else it could be when it sounds like dumping you know?

I have a bad habit of not fully typing what is going through my head and expect people to read my mind and fill in the other bits LOL (like I did with that ^)! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problems. Just want to make sure that I communicated that from what I have been told and personal experience there is no dumping syndrome with DS surgery.

I did an experiment after my RNY to DS revision, I ate something that would have put me down garunteed for a half hour with dumping syndrome. Didn't happen.

I don't miss dumping syndrome. For me it was like an intense flu that came on hard and fast. Sweating, nausea, the works. Lasted for me about half and hour to a hour depending on what I ate and how much.

Now it just hurts to eat too much and the bowl thing is something I'm re-evaluating my diet and supplements to help with.

If OP is experiencing something similar to dumping syndrome, then probably should go talk to the surgeon asap.

Edited by BoredCW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone tell me in layman's terms what a ds does? My Dr wanted me to do this surgery, but opted for a sleeve. Can you convert to a DS from sleeve. Thanks so much! Sorry, not trying to hijack your post 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check this picture out.

image.png.4efa649c44767679ac4c051274029e63.png

(https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/bpdds-weightloss-surgery)

1. The stomach is sleeved.

2. The small intestine is mostly bypassed to the larger intestine which causes less of the food you eat to be absorbed. (Malabsorption)

You are forced to eat less due to the size of the stomach.

What you can eat, not much is able to be used by the body.

I'm not a surgeon, but I would think its possible to switch from a sleeve to a DS as you've done step 1 already. Just need to do step 2.

I'm sure others will help explain things more and cover what I missed here.

Edited by BoredCW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ what he (she?) said. And yes - a sleeve-to-DS conversion is easy, since you already have a sleeved stomach (DS'ers have a sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass). It's a pretty straightforward conversion - they just add the intestinal part since you've already had the VSG part. An RNY-to-DS conversion is much more complicated.

Edited by catwoman7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

Edited by AZhiker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

^^ what he (she?) said. And yes - a sleeve-to-DS conversion is easy, since you already have a sleeved stomach (DS'ers have a sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass). It's a pretty straightforward conversion - they just add the intestinal part since you've already had the VSG part. An RNY-to-DS conversion is much more complicated.

Is it basically converting to an rny then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BoredCW said:

Check this picture out.

image.png.4efa649c44767679ac4c051274029e63.png

(https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/bpdds-weightloss-surgery)

1. The stomach is sleeved.

2. The small intestine is mostly bypassed to the larger intestine which causes less of the food you eat to be absorbed. (Malabsorption)

You are forced to eat less due to the size of the stomach.

What you can eat, not much is able to be used by the body.

I'm not a surgeon, but I would think its possible to switch from a sleeve to a DS as you've done step 1 already. Just need to do step 2.

I'm sure others will help explain things more and cover what I missed here.

I've lost 83 pounds, but can eat more and seem to be losing very slow. I told my PA I would reevaluate at my 1 year post-op appt. I'm almost 7 months post-op and close to going below a 40 BMI, so not sure if that could interfere with having a revision. I still have diabetes and take BP medicine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gabybab said:

Is it basically converting to an rny then?

no - RNY is different. It's a gastric (i.e., stomach) bypass - although a small part of the small intestine is bypassed with the RNY, too. The DS has a sleeve stomach + most of the small intestine bypassed.

converting from VSG (sleeve) to DS is very straightforward. VSG is essentially phase 1 of the DS - so you already have that. They'd just add the intestinal bypass part of it (phase 2) to do your DS.

conversion from RNY to DS is very complicated. They have to take down the RNY, then do a sleeve stomach, and then do the intestinal bypass. Not many surgeons do this surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      Me: Hey Siri, Is it raining outside? (for my morning walks with the dogs)
      Siri: I don't think it's raining at the moment.
      Wet Dogs: Then why are we wet? This damn Siri person is more stupid than we are.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Billy Bob  »  lvidacovich

      Drink Muscle Milk. lol  Gt 60 to 90 gm quality Protein & daily vitimins, good sleep, walking & resistant ( weight /bands/squats ) You absolutely build muscle. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      I received my nutrition book and checklist today! I am so very excited (and a tad bit scared too) Each day this is becoming a reality!
      I created a new blog post about how BRAVE we all are for doing this. Because I think we are! Most of us know the horrors of people calling us nasty names, saying we can't control ourselves, we are easy targets for people's verbal attacks! But I feel we are BRAVE because we are taking control over our lives and creating a new world of happiness.

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      Today I scheduled my mental evaluation and my nutritionist appointments. Yes, we are moving along quiet nice.  December 9th will be here before you know it.
      I have informed my inner circle of family about the surgery and I will be keeping it in my CORE!

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • drac2you

      Well, it has been a while since I posted here, but my journey continues. As for breaking my stall, I was able to get down to 214 with the help of a friend via our Fitbit fitness trackers which has made me ecstatic! Since that has happened I was fortunate enough to have my insurance company approve a panniculectomy to remove the panniculus (THIS is the correct term, NOT pannus, see this reference: https://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/panniculus) that has been deviling me for years, even before I had bariatric surgery. It was to the point that it was hanging down far enough to cover my pubic area, covered half my thighs when I would sit, and also drooped between my legs which I could hardly manage to keep together when sitting. For any males that may read this, for a woman that is pretty uncivilized, not to mention, unladylike especially when wearing a dress or skirt - just looks slovenly to say the least. Despite the numerous skin issues I had the last couple of years, my health insurance insisted the procedure was cosmetic... 🤐 . I would guess no one that is saying so has been in the bariatric patient's shoes. The damn thing was just getting to be a self-esteem killer in addition to a medical nuisance requiring many visits to my primary care physician, and interfering with my mobility. Now, I realize there are folks with more egregious panniculus sag issues, but the fact that it interferes with mobility is an important consideration.
      One thing I have to say is that this surgery is drastically different from any other I've had. Things occur that are deemed routine, expected even, after a panniculectomy that would be downright unacceptable after any other procedure. This plastic surgery experience is definitely a learning experience that is still unfolding as I key this entry. For one thing, the swelling is a story all it's own, I had no clue my abdomen could get so large, so quickly, without causing my skin to just split open - it's crazy! So far, I'm pleased to have been able to get this procedure despite may be perceived as drawbacks, just to get the pendulous adipose tissue demon off of my person. Here are a few links to information about this procedure for anyone considering it in the future:
      https://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/panniculectomy/ https://www.healthline.com/health/panniculectomy https://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/tummy-tuck/panniculectomy/ https://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/panniculectomy/safety https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499822/ I hope you find this information helpful. I will provide updates periodically on my progress of this surgical recovery. Have a wonderful day! 
      · 2 replies
      1. Panda333

        Thank you and good luck to you!

      2. SabrinaGoddess

        WOW, thank you for sharing all this with us!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×