Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DS reaction to sugar

My wife had a rny about 9 years ago, and if she eats too much sugar, her blood sugar bottoms out and she gets the shakes and such. Is there a drastic reaction like this on the ds?

I wouldn't think it would be as common since DS'ers have a sleeved stomach - so they'd still have a pyloric valve. Sugar wouldn't hit the small intestine nearly as fast as it would with an RNY'er. But then, I'm not a medical person, so take that with a grain of salt.

Dumping Syndrome == Sucks

I get it too when I consume too much sugar too quickly (even worse if I mix it the sugar with lactose)....and I was sleeved.

It really varies from person to person. You'll find by-passers who don't experience it. Only way to know is to try it yourself and see.

10 hours ago, CoramDeo said:

My wife had a rny about 9 years ago, and if she eats too much sugar, her blood sugar bottoms out and she gets the shakes and such. Is there a drastic reaction like this on the ds?

Duodenal Switch does not get the dumping syndrome.

I had a RNY in 2001, revision this last June to Duodenal Switch . I know what Dumping syndrome feels like and how it was easy to get used to. Only things I have found that the Duodenal Switch gets is the limitation of food intake and the pain that accompanies it when eating too much as well as the bowl movement issues.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BoredCW
added differentiations between Dumping Syndrome and Duodenal Switch

2 hours ago, BoredCW said:

Duodenal Switch does not get the dumping syndrome.

I had a RNY in 2001, revision this last June to Duodenal Switch . I know what Dumping syndrome feels like and how it was easy to get used to. Only things I have found that the Duodenal Switch gets is the limitation of food intake and the pain that accompanies it when eating too much as well as the bowl movement issues.

Hope this helps.

Conflicting info on that, some say it is less likely and some say you don't get it. It certainly sounds like she is having dumping syndrome though.

1 hour ago, Bastian said:

Conflicting info on that, some say it is less likely and some say you don't get it. It certainly sounds like she is having dumping syndrome though.

The Question the OP asked was "Is there a drastic reaction like this on the ds?"

DS I read as Duodenal Switch and not dumping syndrome.

His wife who had the RNY is describing dumping syndrome, but the DS (duodenal switch) surgery does not have such reactions. Not that I've researched, been told by my surgeon, told by my WLS group, and experienced myself.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

1 minute ago, BoredCW said:

The Question the OP asked was "Is there a drastic reaction like this on the ds?"

DS I read as Duodenal Switch and not dumping syndrome.

His wife who had the RNY is describing dumping syndrome, but the DS (duodenal switch) surgery does not have such reactions. Not that I've researched, been told by my surgeon, told by my WLS group, and experienced myself.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

No confusion :D I was just saying the research I looked at some said it is rare for it to happen but does in a few people and then some papers said it never happens, just wondering what else it could be when it sounds like dumping you know?

I have a bad habit of not fully typing what is going through my head and expect people to read my mind and fill in the other bits LOL (like I did with that ^)! :lol:

No problems. Just want to make sure that I communicated that from what I have been told and personal experience there is no dumping syndrome with DS surgery.

I did an experiment after my RNY to DS revision, I ate something that would have put me down garunteed for a half hour with dumping syndrome. Didn't happen.

I don't miss dumping syndrome. For me it was like an intense flu that came on hard and fast. Sweating, nausea, the works. Lasted for me about half and hour to a hour depending on what I ate and how much.

Now it just hurts to eat too much and the bowl thing is something I'm re-evaluating my diet and supplements to help with.

If OP is experiencing something similar to dumping syndrome, then probably should go talk to the surgeon asap.

Edited by BoredCW

Can anyone tell me in layman's terms what a ds does? My Dr wanted me to do this surgery, but opted for a sleeve. Can you convert to a DS from sleeve. Thanks so much! Sorry, not trying to hijack your post 😋

Check this picture out.

image.png.4efa649c44767679ac4c051274029e63.png

(https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/bpdds-weightloss-surgery)

1. The stomach is sleeved.

2. The small intestine is mostly bypassed to the larger intestine which causes less of the food you eat to be absorbed. (Malabsorption)

You are forced to eat less due to the size of the stomach.

What you can eat, not much is able to be used by the body.

I'm not a surgeon, but I would think its possible to switch from a sleeve to a DS as you've done step 1 already. Just need to do step 2.

I'm sure others will help explain things more and cover what I missed here.

Edited by BoredCW

^^ what he (she?) said. And yes - a sleeve-to-DS conversion is easy, since you already have a sleeved stomach (DS'ers have a sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass). It's a pretty straightforward conversion - they just add the intestinal part since you've already had the VSG part. An RNY-to-DS conversion is much more complicated.

Edited by catwoman7

Edited by AZhiker

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

^^ what he (she?) said. And yes - a sleeve-to-DS conversion is easy, since you already have a sleeved stomach (DS'ers have a sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass). It's a pretty straightforward conversion - they just add the intestinal part since you've already had the VSG part. An RNY-to-DS conversion is much more complicated.

Is it basically converting to an rny then?

4 hours ago, BoredCW said:

Check this picture out.

image.png.4efa649c44767679ac4c051274029e63.png

(https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/bpdds-weightloss-surgery)

1. The stomach is sleeved.

2. The small intestine is mostly bypassed to the larger intestine which causes less of the food you eat to be absorbed. (Malabsorption)

You are forced to eat less due to the size of the stomach.

What you can eat, not much is able to be used by the body.

I'm not a surgeon, but I would think its possible to switch from a sleeve to a DS as you've done step 1 already. Just need to do step 2.

I'm sure others will help explain things more and cover what I missed here.

I've lost 83 pounds, but can eat more and seem to be losing very slow. I told my PA I would reevaluate at my 1 year post-op appt. I'm almost 7 months post-op and close to going below a 40 BMI, so not sure if that could interfere with having a revision. I still have diabetes and take BP medicine.

1 hour ago, gabybab said:

Is it basically converting to an rny then?

no - RNY is different. It's a gastric (i.e., stomach) bypass - although a small part of the small intestine is bypassed with the RNY, too. The DS has a sleeve stomach + most of the small intestine bypassed.

converting from VSG (sleeve) to DS is very straightforward. VSG is essentially phase 1 of the DS - so you already have that. They'd just add the intestinal bypass part of it (phase 2) to do your DS.

conversion from RNY to DS is very complicated. They have to take down the RNY, then do a sleeve stomach, and then do the intestinal bypass. Not many surgeons do this surgery.